Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

To Milwaukee and then north

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 06:56 PM
bonz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool To Milwaukee and then north

Hello we are planning a trip to Milwaukee and then north. Door County, Upper peninsula Mich. What are some good two lanes out of Milwaukee north along the lake ? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-01-2010, 08:14 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I'd have to ask, which lake? If you want to go along Lake Michigan, then US 43 will take you between Lake Winnebago and Lake Michigan. You won't see much of either if that's your goal.

The other lake you can go past on a two lane is Lake Winnebago about 80 miles north of Milwaukee along US 41.

Either will take you to Green Bay. Door County is much bigger than it looks and can take up most of a day. The roads are all 2 lane and can have a lot of traffic.

US 41 from Green Bay will take you up to the UP. Once you cross into Michigan from Wisconsin, you will want to take US 35 along Green Bay/Lake Michigan up to Escanaba. US 2 from there will take you to the Mackinac Bridge.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:40 AM
mopar400
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I probably would run something like this:
Start I43 North out of Milwaukee
Cut off on 57 North at Port Washington
Follow 57 North up to Chilton.
Turn Right on 151 North to Manitowoc
Flow 151 thru Manitowoc and catch 42 North
This will run up along the lake
This will run you thru some small villages, Two Rivers, Two Creeks, Kewaunee and Algoma
Turn North on 57 and go up thru Sturgeon Bay.
Stay on 57 up the East side of the peninsula going thru Jacksonport and Bailys Harbor
Then to Sister Bay, here you can either go north to gills rock or turn south on 42 to Ephraim then Fish Creek to Egg Harbor and back to Sturgeon Bay.
Out of Sturgeon Bay run 57 down to Green Bay.
You’ll hook up with I43 and swing across the top of Green Bay and catch 41/141 North, at Abrams take 41 North thru Oconto up to Marinette then catch M35 North to Escanaba.
US 2 North out of Escanaba will catch US41 again and that will take you up to Marquette

Total about 500 mile
Plan at least a full day in Door County, there are three state parks up there and a lot to see.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:28 PM
joe mayo
Cruiser

Looks good Mopar, but I would go around Port Washington on 43/32, stay on 32 north till Hwy 28 and take that thru Sheyboygan which will be 28/14th St, becomes 42/14th St.
Keep going north maybe a mile or so, then right on N 15th which turns into Lakeshore Dr (Cty Rd LS). Take LS along the lake to Manitowoc. As soon as you cross the river. go left on Maritime Dr. Theres always seems to be some kind of festival with live music going on along the lakefront. If there is, you'll see lots of bikes parked, its worth stopping. Maritime Dr. stays along the shore and turns into Hwy 42. Take that to Two Rivers, to 22nd St, to Cty Rd O, to Cty Rd V, then Lakeshore Rd (very nice ride). It will then hook back up with 42 and take you to Door county. Sounds complicated, but it isn't. Zoom in on Google maps and you'll see what I mean.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by uncleleo
Looks good Mopar, but I would go around Port Washington on 43/32, stay on 32 north till Hwy 28 and take that thru Sheyboygan which will be 28/14th St, becomes 42/14th St.
Keep going north maybe a mile or so, then right on N 15th which turns into Lakeshore Dr (Cty Rd LS). Take LS along the lake to Manitowoc. As soon as you cross the river. go left on Maritime Dr. Theres always seems to be some kind of festival with live music going on along the lakefront. If there is, you'll see lots of bikes parked, its worth stopping. Maritime Dr. stays along the shore and turns into Hwy 42. Take that to Two Rivers, to 22nd St, to Cty Rd O, to Cty Rd V, then Lakeshore Rd (very nice ride). It will then hook back up with 42 and take you to Door county. Sounds complicated, but it isn't. Zoom in on Google maps and you'll see what I mean.
Totally agree.

Last edited by Harley_RN; 01-07-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:42 AM
bonz
Cruiser

Thanks guy's my wife is loving it, she is the planner and is checking out all of the sugestions. Keep them coming.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:46 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

from green bay (the city) to the tip of the door peninsula is almost 100 miles. you can go up the east side of the door and come down the west side of the peninsula and end up in green bay. with a few stops mixed in it will take most of the day.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:24 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

stop at bearcats fish store in algoma and get some smoked fish,i like the smoked chubs. go over to the algoma pier and eat em'. nothing is better.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Eddie Haskell
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

In Sturgeon Bay as you head North on 57/42 you will cross a bridge, shortly after that you will come to Hwy T, take it to the right (East) it will run right along the lake and it is a fantastic road to ride, you don't see a lot of the lake but the road is outstanding. That's all I have to contribute to the ride, others have given you great information.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bonz
Thanks guy's my wife is loving it, she is the planner and is checking out all of the sugestions. Keep them coming.
Let me know when you're going.

Last edited by Harley_RN; 01-07-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: To Milwaukee and then north