Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

King's Canyon & Sequoia Nat'l Park/Forest

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:07 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default King's Canyon & Sequoia Nat'l Park/Forest

1600-mile trek last week throughout the mountains which stretch north from roughly Lake Isabella/Kernville, exploring as far as the end of King's Canyon, w/ lots of backtracking and doubling, even on many dirt roads.

1-night in a motel, 6-nights on the ground (2 in campsites); sleeping bag only, no tent or pad. Though I carried emergency rations and backpack stove, I ate out and snacked, carried bottled/filtered water. Did laundry 1-time in a campground in the Sequoia National Park. There are many restrooms scattered throughout the area, though they might be 25-miles apart. I found two places within SNP for showers @ $3 & $4. Campsites I used (twice) in the park were $16 & $20; oddly, you are charged the same whether you have a truckload of people or are just solo on a motor. Fuel is available within the park. Soaked my feet for free in ice-cold mountain streams (photo).

Got a few short sprinkles while riding, and woke to ride in a light drizzle one morning, but managed to get lucky on my route choices in outrunning the many showers which were sometimes easily visible, narrowly missing a real downpour (I heard later) by my naturally early starts, waking w/ the sun. Stopped for an 8-point buck who was licking the center-line for 5-minutes. Traffic both ways then stopped to watch. Saw lots of rabbits, squirrels and chipmunks.

It was my intention to come away from this trek with at least a basic understanding of the nature and terrain of this mountainous area, and some knowledge of the meager adjacent development. To that point I was modestly successful due to my being willing to drive the length of numerous dead-end spurs which were mostly paved, though less well-maintained. With my short inseam, on the uneven off-road terrain, I was on three occasion unable to prevent the bike from laying down (softly), bending the gearshift-lever the 1st time (had it straightened for $10 in Kernville). Part of the problem is luggage on the sissy-bar creating a greater overturning moment, but stepping in a hole is all it takes.

The beauty of the Sequoia Natl Pk is exceeded by that of King's Canyon, where one of my free campsites was virtually next to a waterfall (photo).
My photos can hardly depict the breathtaking beauty of this area, but I hope you enjoy them. All comments welcome.

Attached Thumbnails King's Canyon & Sequoia Nat'l Park/Forest-k-cnyn-1n.jpg   King's Canyon & Sequoia Nat'l Park/Forest-k-cnyn-7n.jpg   King's Canyon & Sequoia Nat'l Park/Forest-k-cnyn-11n.jpg   King's Canyon & Sequoia Nat'l Park/Forest-k-cnyn-16n.jpg   King's Canyon & Sequoia Nat'l Park/Forest-k-cnyn-30n.jpg  

Last edited by lo-rider; 07-24-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:41 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Very cool! Didja go up on Moro Rock? Awesome view from up there. We were there last year, but in a rentacar. We saw this bear and cubs right next to Moro Rock.

What a beautiful area to be able to ride in! Sounds like you had a great time!!

Old 07-24-2010, 11:13 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by scoteh
Very cool! Didja go up on Moro Rock? Awesome view from up there. We were there last year, but in a rentacar. We saw this bear and cubs right next to Moro Rock.

What a beautiful area to be able to ride in! Sounds like you had a great time!!
Cool picture! Way special to get so close. They have a slight bear problem in the campgrounds. You just can't leave any food out of the bear-proof lockers.

I confess I didn't go on the rock; in fact there are still a few "attractions" I have not left the road for, including the Sherman Tree. But I would like to explore further the park's hiking trails, though a slight handicap limits me. Actually the area outside the park might be as interesting.

BTW the cost to enter the park for a solo rider is $10, $20 otherwise, and good for a week. For an additional $10 seniors can buy a card which entitles them to discounts on campground fees (50%?). No firearms are allowed.

There is road construction south; delays are not long. Road conditions are normally excellent. I'll be going back.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:10 AM
XXRugerXX
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made that trek several years ago. That is one of my favorite areas. Might be a long time before I get back there.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:38 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lo-rider
No firearms are allowed.
Just curious! Do they scan, or "strip search" you for firearms?

Old 07-27-2010, 12:10 AM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhis
Just curious! Do they scan, or "strip search" you for firearms?
No, they have specially trained black bears that can sniff out gun powder.

lo-rider, sounds like a neat trip. I've been up there many times but not on my bike yet. Will have to get up there soon. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:16 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by micahpop
No, they have specially trained black bears that can sniff out gun powder.

lo-rider, sounds like a neat trip. I've been up there many times but not on my bike yet. Will have to get up there soon. Thanks for sharing the pics.
That's what I've thought.
I will make sure that I carry enuf slugs, and a bear fence.
Actually, I will ride through this park on the way home this year. Can't wait!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:39 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

It's a beautiful area! Sounds like you had a great trip!!!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:57 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Default + photos

Thank you to everyone who took the time to comment.

Here are a few more photos from that trip.

Attached Thumbnails King's Canyon & Sequoia Nat'l Park/Forest-k-cnyn-25n.jpg   King's Canyon & Sequoia Nat'l Park/Forest-k-cnyn-23n.jpg   King's Canyon & Sequoia Nat'l Park/Forest-k-cnyn-20n.jpg   King's Canyon & Sequoia Nat'l Park/Forest-k-cnyn-15n.jpg  
Old 08-03-2010, 02:40 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Heading there in 4 days myself on my way back to Canada.