Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Anyone been to Yellowknife, NT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 03:34 AM
Vins
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scottycameron
Got a ride in this weekend, put on around 600 miles. Almost have 3,000 miles on the new scooter. This Thread needed a bump!!!!
The road thru Hudson Hope is a must see, but might be outta your way. I hit that when I take the Seattle route. Get a copy of the Milepost and/or visit the web site. Have travelled the AlCan 11 times and it has always been a blast. I'll keep checking back. If I'm still unemployed, I might meet you over there.
themilepost.com

Old 05-09-2011, 03:40 AM
Vins
Club Member

Originally Posted by mac11b
Hello all, new to the forum. Been thinking about a trip to Yellowknife as well. I'd be coming from central WI though. I have been reading this thread and want to thank those that have posted for the great info. I have been hunting online and am wondering if anyone can confirm fuel stops in Fort Providence (Big River Service Center LP) and Behchoko (FC Services LTD)? I will be riding my '94 Sporty 883 w/ a 4.2 gal tank. Need to know if I would have to carry more fuel than my normal emergency fuel to make the 300mi from Hay River to Yellowknife. Thanks.
Your comment brought back memories. I road the AlCan on a '94 Sporty in '94. Had a blast! I was running the little peanut...2.25 gallons. Raod from Delaware to Anchorage, 4700 miles, and ran outta gas twice before I bought a 1.5 gallon can and strapped it to my saddlebag. You shouldn't have a problem as long as you carry an extra can. I had claculated on the estimated MPG and didn't take into account I was hauling extra weight and driving 70 mph, which took a toll on the MPG.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:00 PM
scottycameron
Cruiser
Default Milepost

Just got a copy of the milepost of ebay monday, can't wait to scope out our route a little bit closer. As far as the Hudson route where is that located? Thanks

Old 05-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Vins
Club Member

Just got a copy of the milepost of ebay monday, can't wait to scope out our route a little bit closer. As far as the Hudson route where is that located? Thanks
5 out of Seattle to CA 1 to Hope; North on 1 to 97 N until you get to Chetwynd, then 29 thru Hudson' Hope, then back on 97 to Ft St John. You could bypass Hudson's Hope and go from Chetwynd to Dawson Creek; 49 to Rycroft; 2 to Grimshaw; 35 to 1 (Mackenzie Hwy) to 3 (YK Hwy) to Yellowknife.

Hudson's Hope is beautiful. If you go up CA 1, make sure you stop at Hell's Gate.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:11 PM
scottycameron
Cruiser
Default Thanks for the route

This might be a little out of the way but i guess i'll run it by the old man and see how we are doing for time. Thanks again, only about 3 weeks away now, can't wait.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:08 AM
Vins
Club Member

This might be a little out of the way but i guess i'll run it by the old man and see how we are doing for time. Thanks again, only about 3 weeks away now, can't wait.
If you're going straight up, enter Canada at Sweetgrass, MT and head thru Calgary and Edmonton. Both are beautiful cities. Make sure you hit Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump, located 18 kms north & west of Ft Mcleod on Highway 785. Also make a stop in Edmonton at the Muttart Conservatory. The water park at the Edmonton Mall is pretty nice if you're looking to take a rest for a day or so. Would love to make the ride, but will be in HI at the time you are heading there. Hit Sturgis, Rushmore and the Badlands while in SD.
Mapquest dirrections: Nebraska to Lewiston, Montana to Calgary to Yellowknife. I think you'll be happy with this route.
If you have time, hit Glacier National Park on the way back. Never been there myself, but have heard awesome things about it.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:45 PM
scottycameron
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Vins
If you're going straight up, enter Canada at Sweetgrass, MT and head thru Calgary and Edmonton. Both are beautiful cities. Make sure you hit Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump, located 18 kms north & west of Ft Mcleod on Highway 785. Also make a stop in Edmonton at the Muttart Conservatory. The water park at the Edmonton Mall is pretty nice if you're looking to take a rest for a day or so. Would love to make the ride, but will be in HI at the time you are heading there. Hit Sturgis, Rushmore and the Badlands while in SD.
Mapquest dirrections: Nebraska to Lewiston, Montana to Calgary to Yellowknife. I think you'll be happy with this route.
If you have time, hit Glacier National Park on the way back. Never been there myself, but have heard awesome things about it.
Thanks again Vins, 11 days until we boogie out of here for 2 weeks.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:31 AM
Vins
Club Member

Safe riding! Post pics when you can.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Vins
Club Member

How was the ride?

Old 10-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Yellowknife, until now I had only heard of it, I looked it up. WOW! talk about off the beaten path and a bit up the road. I plan on going there to see it and buy a T shirt!
From Sheridan, consider Alt 14 to Cody, pick up Cheif Joseph hwy ( 296) to hwy 212 ride up beartooth Pass the back to Yellowstone, make you way to and thru Glacier NP, North to Banff, Ice fields parkway to Jasper. Take a camera w lots of memory.

Quick Reply: Anyone been to Yellowknife, NT?