Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tucson to South Padre Island Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:41 AM
71FLH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tucson to South Padre Island Pictures

On Sept. 25 we left for South Padre Island, TX. Total mileage round trip 2632 miles. Neither one of us is famous for our photographic skills, so we don't have a ton a pictures, but I thought I'd share a few.

This is a gas stop in Deming, NM. There isn't a lot of scenery around there so this is what ya get.

We spent the night in Van Horn,TX in a very cool old restored hotel. If you ever need to stop in Van Horn this is a great place to stay. Very quiet except for the occasional train, but then Van Horn is so small you'll get that no matter where you stay.

As you can see we practically had Texas to ourselves and the roads were beautiful. These next two pictures were taken sometime after Alpine and before the Pecos river.

The next few pictures are while approaching the Pecos and then shots from the look-out above the river. In all the times we've gone this way we have never seen the river so full. Usually it was just a stream. We were told that it's not really flowing that wide, but is back filled from the Amastad Reservoir that is very full right now.

We made our way to Kingsville, TX where one of my old Coast Guard friends and his wife met up with us. Cecil I know you remember Rico. They left their home in Houston about the same time we left Del Rio and we managed to get there at nearly the same time. We finished the ride to the island together and they stayed for three days then went back to Houston.

The next four pictures are pictures that were take during our stay on the island. My friends wife got a picture of Annie and I crossing the Queen Isabella Causeway toward the island. The next is a picture on the causeway heading into the little town of Port Isabel,TX. The third picture is my favorite picture from the whole trip. Annie loves the water and I caught this one of her candidly while she was enjoying the beach right before sunset. The last one is proof that we made it.

The next shot is the common area where we own our condominium. Our new manager has done a great job fixing the place up. Our last manger sucked.

If you ever go to SPI you really need to get the shrimp plate at Dirty Al's at Pelican Station in Port Isabel. I swear to you it is the greatest shrimp on the planet. They have a smaller Dirty Al's on the island and it was always our favorite until they opened this new one. Get a load of this plate.

The return trip was pretty much the same as the trip to the island, but this time we had to stop and get some pictures of an odd bit of art(?). This is about 10 miles or so west of Marfa, TX. The plaque on the ground on the right says that it was simply artwork and is not ever meant as a real store. It is literally out in the middle of nothing. Pretty weird.

Well that's pretty much it. We had a great time and can't wait for our next trip. Thanks for checking out our pictures.

Last edited by 71FLH; 11-05-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:25 PM
orangedog350
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool

Old 11-05-2011, 05:25 PM
TexasHarleyGirl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, long ride! What a great group of pics! Your photographic skills are right on. These take the reader right along on your trip. Glad you had a good time and thanks for sharing.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:25 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick,

Thanks for posting, enjoyed the shots! Did you check out the Marfa Lights, if not stay in Alpine or Marfa and do it the next time.

Cecil

Old 11-08-2011, 04:52 PM
deluxeroad
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting your ride...always good to see photos from the road. You guys did a nice job and again, thanks for sharing. By the way, I gew up in the Old Pueblo!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:44 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,623 Likes on 12,011 Posts

I've seen that Prada shop on other forums. Strange stuff.

Nice pics - lookes like you had a great ride. thanks for sharing.