Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Liquid cooled 110 feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 08:05 AM
Bearcat1
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Liquid cooled 110 feedback

How are you boys that are running the liquid cooled 110 motor liking it or perhaps disliking it? I ran a 2012 CVO Street Glide for a while. While I loved just about everything about the bike, the air cooled 110 was hot and noisy. At least my particular bike was. Considering a 2016 CVO Street Glide so was just wondering about the new liquid cooled 110 motor. I have never rode a liquid cooled Harley yet. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited by Bearcat1; 09-14-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:36 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

There's a sub-forum in the Touring Section that's all about the Rushmore bikes. Try your post in there.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:14 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
There's a sub-forum in the Touring Section that's all about the Rushmore bikes. Try your post in there.
Did you read his post? He's asking about a 110 liquid cooled and possible CVO purchase...how does that not belong here?

To the OP...I went from a 2013 to a 2015. I have noticed a definite difference in terms of engine heat...that being the feeling that it is cooler. I know the oil temp is down with the liquid cooled bike.

As far as noisy? Not sure what you are going with there. I never noticed much difference between the noise of a 103 and a 110...especially when you replace the exhaust system.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Bearcat1
Tourer

Thanks for the feedback SlowRain. So that is a great thing about the heat being down as I figured it would be. That is probably the biggest plus of all with the liquid cooled 110 if that be the case.

The noisy part I was referring to has to do with the top end noise my air cooled 110 produced. I always had a noticeable, constant ticking coming from the motor. I did everything I could think of to try and quiet it down to no avail. Harley shop several times, different oils, etc. Nothing worked. It was just a loud valve train on that particular bike. I don't think all the air cooled 110s were like that. It bugged the crap out of me.

So again, thanks for that and I like what I heard. Take care.

Originally Posted by SlowRain
Did you read his post? He's asking about a 110 liquid cooled and possible CVO purchase...how does that not belong here?

To the OP...I went from a 2013 to a 2015. I have noticed a definite difference in terms of engine heat...that being the feeling that it is cooler. I know the oil temp is down with the liquid cooled bike.

As far as noisy? Not sure what you are going with there. I never noticed much difference between the noise of a 103 and a 110...especially when you replace the exhaust system.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:19 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts
Default 15 flhxse

Over 11k miles on it so I have some experience! I haven't changed a thing on it (bone stock) it doesn't seem any different heat wise then my 11 flhkt again 20k (bone stock)
As for the noise they all make ticking sounds at slow rpm!
I wouldn't say that it is anything that would bother you!
The only thing that even reminds you it is water cooled is if it is hot when you shut off the motor and the fans are on! And that is short lived and they go back off!
Bottom line is it is one awesome bike and I would recommend it!

Old 09-14-2015, 11:51 AM
Bearcat1
Tourer

Thanks for that feedback Northrider. Yes, I hear you about the ticking noise but my current 103 doesn't sound anything like the 110 did on my '12 CVO. I really believe I had one of those special case bikes. Although the damn thing did run like a scalded ape so I guess it was hard to say anything was ever wrong with it. But anyway, I am delighted to hear the favorable reports about the liquid cooled 110 motor. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by 5150northrider
Over 11k miles on it so I have some experience! I haven't changed a thing on it (bone stock) it doesn't seem any different heat wise then my 11 flhkt again 20k (bone stock)
As for the noise they all make ticking sounds at slow rpm!
I wouldn't say that it is anything that would bother you!
The only thing that even reminds you it is water cooled is if it is hot when you shut off the motor and the fans are on! And that is short lived and they go back off!
Bottom line is it is one awesome bike and I would recommend it!

Old 09-14-2015, 04:53 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowRain

Yes, I read his post. Internally there is practically no difference in the 103" vs. the 110" motors, other than the obvious 7 c.i., and especially in the design of the heads. Seeing how there are far more people on the Rushmore Threads the OP will have a greater chance of getting some honest feed back about the water cooled bikes! So if you ever feel the need to rip somebodies ***, next time go rip into your boyfriends.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:12 PM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Yes, I read his post. Internally there is practically no difference in the 103" vs. the 110" motors, other than the obvious 7 c.i., and especially in the design of the heads. Seeing how there are far more people on the Rushmore Threads the OP will have a greater chance of getting some honest feed back about the water cooled bikes! So if you ever feel the need to rip somebodies ***, next time go rip into your boyfriends.
Explain something to me. Why, when I really did nothing more than point out that his question was germane to this part of the forum do you want to make it all a personal conflict. If your thinking was what you said regarding the motors being the same...why didn't you just say that? Why the personal attack?

I did not "rip your ***. I merely stated he was asking about a CVO and since this is a CVO thread...it does fit here. How is that ripping you?

Old 09-14-2015, 06:06 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

[QUOTE=Bearcat1;14394899] I ran a 2012 CVO Street Glide for a while. While I loved just about everything about the bike, the air cooled 110 was hot and noisy.

Big difference with 103" vs 110" when it comes to HEAT & NOISE.

More Cubes, More Heat. Pretty normal.
Changing headers, pipes, and Turner (Dyno) will make a big difference as well in heat!

Noise in 110" is pretty normal too, in a sense that they have always been nosier then 103" motors. The Valve springs, SE255 cams, SE Lifters, 110" Heads, open Stage 1 Air Filter, etc, etc. ALL combined have notoriously made the 110's much louder.

Unfortunately, (if I am correct) the 2012 CVOs had the WORST SE LIFTERS installed from stock!
Lots of folks with that model years complained about them motors being very loud.

Isn't the 2016 CVO Street Glide still air cooled?
That's the model your asking about right? I think you'll be in fine shape!!!

YB

Old 09-14-2015, 08:58 PM
Bearcat1
Tourer

Easy fellas, we're all good here.

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr View Post
Explain something to me. Why, when I really did nothing more than point out that his question was germane to this part of the forum do you want to make it all a personal conflict. If your thinking was what you said regarding the motors being the same...why didn't you just say that? Why the personal attack?

I did not "rip your ***. I merely stated he was asking about a CVO and since this is a CVO thread...it does fit here. How is that ripping you?
2015 FLHTKSECVO

Last edited by Bearcat1; 09-14-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Liquid cooled 110 feedback