Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

First Ride 82 FXR

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:18 AM
atengnr
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
The Ka-sneeze carb works fine [if tuned properly] until the throttle shaft leaks...then it must go. I doubt yours is worn out.
The line you see is Probably for the VOES which I believe in using...But, apparently someone decided Not to use it.
But, Without a Picture...It could be anything...
What you think?

Old 04-24-2015, 12:59 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,057 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Originally Posted by atengnr
Heres a pic of the top of the carburetor. What is this short length of hose capped with a screw?

Also, I noticed that the battery hold down bracket has a length of rope extending from it. What is this supposed to be attached to?

Thanks.
That plugged port is for a VOES...but, I think on your Shovel the VOES may be attached to the manifold...one or the other.
The String on the battery hold down goes to the seat to keep it from flopping all the way over when you flip it up!

Old 04-24-2015, 02:23 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

mmm... I don't remember the Keihin carb having a vacuum port... nor the late shovel intake....

Old 04-25-2015, 08:15 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by V_twins
mmm... I don't remember the Keihin carb having a vacuum port... nor the late shovel intake....
Next time I'm in the shop I'll take a Picture...Don't know if it was shovel year carb tho. Haven't had a Stock Carb o my '82 since about '84 and don't remember exactly what it looked like...But there were alot of carnations of that Ka-Sneeze Carb...on that one that is a VOES port. My shovel May Not have had a vacuum port on the Manifold..Don't recall that either...back then the first thing we did was a Screamin Chickin [Andrews Flowmaster] Carb and an Iggy Module [I used one from an Iron Sportster.]

Old 04-25-2015, 10:27 AM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Just looked at mine... I have a flat area there. The same thing looking for pictures online. I think somebody added that port to yours.
UNLESS, I am only guessing, California models have something that others don't and you might have a California carburetor?!

Old 04-25-2015, 12:25 PM
atengnr
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting. I was wondering if thid was the case because the port has an elbow inserted into it with the hose and screw on the end. Doesnt look oem.

Thanks for looking into this. I suppose i wont worry about if for now given that the bike runs good.

Btw it has an ss cycle air cleaner cover and backing plate with the foam air filter(just put a new one in because old one was falling apart). Does this bolt up to other carbs or just ss carbs?

Does an evo or twin cam keihin carb bolt up to shovels?

Thanks.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:05 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by atengnr
Interesting. I was wondering if thid was the case because the port has an elbow inserted into it with the hose and screw on the end. Doesnt look oem.

Thanks for looking into this. I suppose i wont worry about if for now given that the bike runs good.

Btw it has an ss cycle air cleaner cover and backing plate with the foam air filter(just put a new one in because old one was falling apart). Does this bolt up to other carbs or just ss carbs?

Does an evo or twin cam keihin carb bolt up to shovels?

Thanks.
Yes a carb from a Evo will bolt up..but is Not an Upgrade...The foam air Cleaner is Not worth a ****...
Sponges are for washing your Bike, Paper is for taking notes....K&N makes Filters...Period!