Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

JIMS Powerglide Upgrade Kit #2411

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 02:34 PM
mikeyhd_81shovel
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default JIMS Powerglide Upgrade Kit #2411

Has anyone installed this kit onto their shovels?

Having issues, and would like to hear your thoughts. Specifically, when you unboxed the new parts, how was the fit between the tappets and guide blocks? The only experience I have is with my old made in japan/china tappets and blocks which were loose. Should the fit be tight? Snug? Or free?

Using install lube some of the tappets needed to be forced (hand, not tools) to get into the blocks. The exhaust tappet hole in the rear block had a burr that I couldn't push the tappet past. Took some emery and a finger tip to finally get it past that point. Got it all back together and it all sounds like crap. Wondering just how easy those tappets should be moving in those new blocks or whether it's just a "need to break in" situation.

Thanks!!

Old 09-12-2017, 07:05 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

I have been effed by jims more then once and I own a shop ya think

had a 500 dollar set of hydrosolids for a big twin. installed them and 2 weeks later had a noise
, turned out to be a roller pin that slid out, ground a hole in a lifter block and sent grains of alloy into the oiling system

called them received a real surprise, they wanted the date codes on the lifters I had bought them from a supplier who when I called about this referred me to jims for direct replacements -

well the staff at jims told me the time on the lifters had run out they were in fact to old ( on the shelf too long ) and were not going to do anything about it - I asked if I could send them to them for a product review they said yes - they claim they never got them even thought I had delivery confirmation

your on your own if something happens - we only buy at a customers request and make then hold us harmless if an issue should happen

Last edited by johnjzjz; 09-12-2017 at 07:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mikeyhd_81shovel (09-14-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 07:31 PM
mikeyhd_81shovel
6th Gear

Wow..... that sucks.....

But in your "professional opinion", don't you think that the tappets should move freely in the block?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:47 PM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyhd_81shovel
Wow..... that sucks.....

But in your "professional opinion", don't you think that the tappets should move freely in the block?
YES NICE AND SMOOTH like snot on a glass door **** ok good luck.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:41 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,247 Likes on 5,408 Posts

I was going to use that exact kit...I talked to my local shovel guru, and he said HELL NO...said he had removed several that had failed...suggested I use the S&S kit.

I had always thought JIM's stuff was top shelf...first time I had heard other wise.

The lifter clearance is very tight...but once in the bore it should slide no problem...should not have to use emery cloth to assemble.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 09-14-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:19 PM
mikeyhd_81shovel
6th Gear

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
I have been effed by jims more then once and I own a shop ya think

had a 500 dollar set of hydrosolids for a big twin. installed them and 2 weeks later had a noise
, turned out to be a roller pin that slid out, ground a hole in a lifter block and sent grains of alloy into the oiling system

called them received a real surprise, they wanted the date codes on the lifters I had bought them from a supplier who when I called about this referred me to jims for direct replacements -

well the staff at jims told me the time on the lifters had run out they were in fact to old ( on the shelf too long ) and were not going to do anything about it - I asked if I could send them to them for a product review they said yes - they claim they never got them even thought I had delivery confirmation

your on your own if something happens - we only buy at a customers request and make then hold us harmless if an issue should happen

Got my reply from the Warranty Dept after sending them pics..... you are never going to believe what they told me.....

......been sitting on a shelf for nearly 4 years, not going to honor warranty....

MFers got me too. I bought off of ebay so now someone has to eat it and that someone is not going to be me. $825!!!!

Old 09-14-2017, 06:23 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyhd_81shovel
Got my reply from the Warranty Dept after sending them pics..... you are never going to believe what they told me.....

......been sitting on a shelf for nearly 4 years, not going to honor warranty....

MFers got me too. I bought off of ebay so now someone has to eat it and that someone is not going to be me. $825!!!!
he stopped going to the trade shows him self, if he had Not I would have cuts across my hand from his teeth

Old 09-14-2017, 08:51 PM
mikeyhd_81shovel
6th Gear

So Ted's (V Twin) stepped in and made things good. I really felt bad for the bike shop in Florida that sold the kit to me, but they cleared things with Ted's for a swap.

My last email from JIMS stated that their warranty is 6 months. I had to reply with a question, 6 months what? From installation? From purchase? From manufacture? Friggin Twinkees have a longer shelf life that JIMS precision milled parts.

My issue was never about the defect. **** happens, I get it. But to just leave me hangin like that? I went out of my way to buy American, and not just American but top shelf American and got kicked in ***** by the company.