Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

fatty pushrods too long to come out of lifters

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 02:58 AM
fergerburger
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts
Default fatty pushrods too long to come out of lifters

Still diggin into this 78 motor and went to verify the breather timing and found all but the front exhaust pushrods will NOT collapse far enough to get them out of the lifters - I did not build this motor so I have no idea if the builder knew this was setup this way or not - the motor does have S&S lifters and blocks but has cheapo FATTY aluminum pushrods (unless that is what S&S sells). When I have built motors I have found if the the valves are recessed or the stem heights are too high this will happen - I am wondering if there are any tricks out there to get the rods out - besides pullin the cam cover - motor is ruinnin an Andrews #1 grind - but the joker put a plastic breather in the cam chest - that's gotta go - ferg

Old 09-17-2017, 07:15 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,876 Likes on 3,343 Posts

A couple of pics wold help to identify your problem a little easier... I personally prefer the plastic breather, If you do get foreign material stuck in there, you should only loose the breather and not the case.... Are the pushrods adjustable? is the cam down on the base circle? If shovel heads are anything like Evo's the exhaust pushrod should be shorter than the intake. Maybe the PO mixed them up... If they are adjustables take a flat piece of steel 1/8"x 1/2"x8" and use it as a pry bar to lift the pushrod (collapsing the valve spring) enough to pop out the rod.. I have done this successfully before and did not do any damage to the fins on the jugs...

The following users liked this post:
Vec (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 12:01 PM
fergerburger
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

78 shovel - S&S hydraulic lifters and blocks - gots the fat aftermarket adjustable pushrods - Andrews #1 cam - I rotated to opposite highest lift for opposing value/lifter so I'm down on the base circle - the rear intake is about .120 too long when collapsed to get it out of the cup - having assembled many engines - you can install the pushrods even when too long if you have not primed the lifters hydro unit - cause you can compress the cup with your finger - motor has like 10 miles on it so I know the damn shop assembled it this way - not my work - my guess is that the stem heights are too high and the shop knew it and did not want to go back and redo the seats or butt grind the stems - I wonder if the old Rivera pushrods would work or even a new set of Andrews CroMoly - anyone know if they collapes shorter?

Old 09-25-2017, 04:33 PM
mikeyhd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue with my shovel, the rear intake. What I do is take extra time and bleed out the hydraulics..... takes a lot of time and patience..... then compress the spring as much as you can. I get away with this like 4 out of 5 times..... but then there's that one time I gotta get something under the rod and gently pry.