Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Starter Bendix

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 04:58 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 436 Likes on 247 Posts
Default Starter Bendix

My 76 FLH has a bad grinding sound when I hit the starter. Upon tear down I found that the starter Bendix is very rough. Not the gear teeth, but the body of it where it would ride against the back side of the ring gear.
My question is - is there supposed to be something that limits the travel of the Bendix, so the it's body doesn't ride against the ring gear, or is it supposed to push all the way out against the ring gear?
FWIW - I have 2 thrust washers in place where the shaft goes into the outer primary cover. It came apart that way, so I've always put it back that way.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:45 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,056 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Far as I know the brass washer [quite thick] is what limits travel..
Rough physically?? but it turns freely one way while not the other??
I guess I would start by inspecting the lever, or Carrier, in the primary, that carries [aims] the bendix... also ensure you have the correct width spacer [brass in primary on bendix shaft] number is Not as Important as Width...

Old 09-11-2018, 07:57 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

so, does the Bendix travel far enough to come into contact with the back side of the ring gear? I know the Bendix gear mates to the ring gear, obviously. Not sure what brass washer would go between the Bendix and ring gear.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:01 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

the "face" of my Bendix, the flat part behind the Bendix gear, is all chewed up. Not sure what the back side of the ring gear looks like. It seems like these two surfaces come into contact with each other when engaged. Not sure why/how the Bendix surface is chewed up.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:02 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by pjb
so, does the Bendix travel far enough to come into contact with the back side of the ring gear? I know the Bendix gear mates to the ring gear, obviously. Not sure what brass washer would go between the Bendix and ring gear.
Number 22

Holds the bendix from over-engagement... btw #7 is in the outer primary for reference..

Edit; Fixed image [I hope] damn well gettin hard to link Pictures these days

Last edited by Racepres; 09-11-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:02 AM
FL54
Road Master
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Does your bike have a stock outer primary? I ran into a similar problem on my '68. The bearing that the starter shaft rests in the stock outer primary is flush with the mating surface of the primary. On the aftermarket outer primary, it is recessed. When the Bendix is engaged, it can travel further, hitting the back of the ring gear. If this is the case, you'll need a longer end on your starter shaft. I may have one in my parts stash.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:10 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Racepres
Number 22
https://partstream.arinet.com/Image?...partfinder.htm
Holds the bendix from over-engagement... btw #7 is in the outer primary for reference..
I have 2 big brass washers in the #22 position. I know what you said, the thickness is more important than the number. Could it be that I don't have enough thickness there, and the Bendix is traveling out too far?

Old 09-11-2018, 08:10 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by FL54
Does your bike have a stock outer primary? I ran into a similar problem on my '68. The bearing that the starter shaft rests in the stock outer primary is flush with the mating surface of the primary. On the aftermarket outer primary, it is recessed. When the Bendix is engaged, it can travel further, hitting the back of the ring gear. If this is the case, you'll need a longer end on your starter shaft. I may have one in my parts stash.
I have an after market, and the bearing is recessed.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:13 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

does that shaft really move in/out, or does the Bendix riding on it only move in/out?

Old 09-11-2018, 08:37 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by pjb
does that shaft really move in/out, or does the Bendix riding on it only move in/out?
The bendix is flung out on the shaft by the Lever [carrier] #13 the shaft remains stationary..

Originally Posted by pjb
I have 2 big brass washers in the #22 position. I know what you said, the thickness is more important than the number. Could it be that I don't have enough thickness there, and the Bendix is traveling out too far?
Absolutely... look at the relationship in the Picture.. Now, with Chiwanese Parts... IDK... all bets are off... I don't use 'em... Chrome ones being particularly Poorly Manufactured..

Last edited by Racepres; 09-11-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Starter Bendix