Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Oil pump rear chain oiler feeding primary-WTF??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 08:32 AM
Renoire123
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HI again, A related query:

This is a picture of a spare pump body I have on the left, with a pump outer cover on the right that I removed from my engine due to a crack in its housing. If you look closely at the primary chain oiler hole in the right pump outer cover, there is no corresponding hole in the left pump body to feed it. So, how can this particular feed work?

Thanks again for any advice.

Old 02-04-2021, 08:42 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,575 Likes on 2,896 Posts

Originally Posted by Renoire123
HI again, A related query:

This is a picture of a spare pump body I have on the left, with a pump outer cover on the right that I removed from my engine due to a crack in its housing. If you look closely at the primary chain oiler hole in the right pump outer cover, there is no corresponding hole in the left pump body to feed it. So, how can this particular feed work?

Thanks again for any advice.

In the same vintage different pumps were offered as you see in the picture one would work with your end cap and the other with the other end cap and both are large top screw

Old 02-04-2021, 08:43 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

You have very early and late no seal is very early center feed is the later

Old 02-04-2021, 09:12 AM
Renoire123
Advanced

Many thx for replying. Didn't know there were different versions of the later OP. Have a good day.

Old 02-04-2021, 03:48 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

My guess you had blended parts some early and some late that is Y they used the chain oiler

if its not done right you could seize the primary chain and knocking the front of the block off the left side

remove the end cap and picture the 2 pieces - the guys will confirm what your using

3 different versions and mutable different sets of gaskets some no longer supplied - caution with blending oil pump stuff you will loose the engine

Old 02-05-2021, 04:46 AM
Renoire123
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
My guess you had blended parts some early and some late that is Y they used the chain oiler

if its not done right you could seize the primary chain and knocking the front of the block off the left side

remove the end cap and picture the 2 pieces - the guys will confirm what your using

3 different versions and mutable different sets of gaskets some no longer supplied - caution with blending oil pump stuff you will loose the engine
Thx johnjzjz. I'm going to be removing the pump and timing cover anyway as the pump's leaking from the interface with the time over. I'll see what's going on with it then., Thanks for your advice.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:28 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

The pump could have scratches and chunkie damage picture up lets see it - the oil pump shaft use your 2 fingers and rum along the shaft couple of spots if you feel valleys < very common hi use pump - you will need a pro to tell if it the pump is still good

pull the breather valve - don’t look in the cavity use your finger to be your eyes and feel for damage - if you don’t see it but feel it its hurt

if the pump is chunkie - and the breather is scrached then the oil tank is loaded as well with debris - throw all the rubber hoses away as a well

the cleaner it is when your done the longer it will last - its a farm tractor engine it gets - just make it clean as you can before riding it again

Old 02-08-2021, 06:37 AM
Renoire123
Advanced

Thx again for yr advice johnjzjz.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:59 PM
DrDirty
Cruiser
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey Panz, did you add the vent in this primary or is that stock? I am getting ready to isolate my primary (79 FLH) and have been following this thread. Just trying to have everything planned out before I start taking things apart.

Old 02-08-2021, 02:05 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Most will just use a vacuum hose on the front feed fitting and cut it just under the primary - block the other 2

Quick Reply: Oil pump rear chain oiler feeding primary-WTF??