Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Oil pump rear chain oiler feeding primary-WTF??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 10:06 AM
Renoire123
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil pump rear chain oiler feeding primary-WTF??

Dear Forum,

Hoping everyone is good today!

I have a 1967 Shovelhead motor and have discovered that the rear chain oiler feed from the pump (at 45 degrees next to the shut-off screw half way up the pump) has been directed to feed the primary (I have a standard chain primary). Meanwhile, the primary chain oiler outlet on top of the pump is just blanked off.

Can someone advise, is it the case that some folks not wanting the rear chain oiler do in fact use this as a primary feed instead? Or has my motor simply been assembled by someone who didn't know what they were doing?

I'd really appreciate some advice on this as I was riding the bike in this configuration without knowing.

Many thanks for any help.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:45 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

65-67 steel oil pump bodies/parts look like this

Connections like this

You mention the primary chain oiler being located on top of the pump and blocked off. Almost seems you have a 68^ aluminum body oil pump. Maybe post a pic?

Last edited by panz4ever; 02-03-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:27 AM
Renoire123
Advanced

Yes, sorry, I confused folks. Although a 67, it's got the later OP on it as per the picture above posted by Panz4ever (thanks BTW). Hope that clarifies.

Thanks for any advice - I'm really confused by this and it's preventing me from finishing the work.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Renoire123; 02-03-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:20 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

YOU NEED TO POST A PICTURE OF YOUR PUMP AND ALSO CONFIRM IF THE HOSE O N THE BOTTOM REAR OF THE INNER PRIMARY IS CONNECTED TO THE ENGINE - FIRST

if it is blocked off you need to start over

Old 02-03-2021, 12:44 PM
Renoire123
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
YOU NEED TO POST A PICTURE OF YOUR PUMP AND ALSO CONFIRM IF THE HOSE O N THE BOTTOM REAR OF THE INNER PRIMARY IS CONNECTED TO THE ENGINE - FIRST

if it is blocked off you need to start over
Thx, but this is not to do with my issue. I understand where all the OP lines should be routed, and they are all routed correctly except the primary and rear chain feeds. My question is: Can the rear chain oiler be used to lube the primary? If yes, how many turns out?

Old 02-03-2021, 12:47 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,543 Posts

Many people plugged the primary oiler and block the primary off to run it sealed. Just add oil. That way you are not running all that debris from the primary chain and clutch back into the engine. I did this to all my shovelheads. I could see someone running the rear oiler to the primary and then it's a total waste system.

The following users liked this post:
vicsponjr (05-24-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 01:04 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by Renoire123
Thx, but this is not to do with my issue. I understand where all the OP lines should be routed, and they are all routed correctly except the primary and rear chain feeds. My question is: Can the rear chain oiler be used to lube the primary? If yes, how many turns out?
how do you know that some one did not plug the vent and the oil return ——- you don’t you did not look

you asked because you did not know what was going on - you were give instructions that would end 25 posts to get to that spot that i was looking for

then you question the reason after asking and not knowing —- good move what’s next — not believing what you being told to check sorry you already did that

Old 02-04-2021, 02:57 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Renoire123
Can the rear chain oiler be used to lube the primary? If yes, how many turns out?
Provided ALL your other lines are routed correctly, and provided that you have ALL the correct hose routing on the inner primary, yes you can. 65-67 cast iron oil pumps had an adjustment screw for both the rear chain and the primary chain. 68^ oil pumps only had the adjustment for the rear chain oiler. The pump was designed to divert a fixed amount of oil to the primary chain, lube it and then get sucked back in for recirculation through the oil filter.

I think that anyone suggesting how far that screw needs to be backed out is merely a "guesstimation" at best. Have to say I never paid attention to the flow rate on the front and rear chain oiler on my 65, just kinda looked at how much oil was on the ground and adjsuted accordingly.

Herez what I would suggest...

Pull the chain inspection cover on the outer primary (Pic is an FX model but it is the same for the FLH sans mid control). Make sure you are looking at the primary chain feed nipple,

start the bike and observe how much oil is getting to the primary chain, and make your best judgement. Replace the cover and run it. After a week or so, pull the cover and see if the chain shows any signs of oxidation. If so you need more oil which means backing out the screw even more.

And speaking of oxidation and wear, what are your plans for maintaining the rear chain. No lube means you easily cut the life of your rear chain in half

Last edited by panz4ever; 02-04-2021 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:06 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hardheaded
I could see someone running the rear oiler to the primary and then it's a total waste system.
Not quite. It will be sucked back into the criculation system via the return on the bottom of the inner primary and then be recirculated thru the oil filter. The total loss applies to the rear chain. Oil on that has no where to go other than on the ground (how Harleys mark their spot). Was always told that between the size of a quarter to a half-dollar was the correct amount of oil on the ground. Anything over/under required an adjustment.

Last edited by panz4ever; 02-04-2021 at 03:18 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:17 AM
Renoire123
Advanced

Thx Panz4ever. That was the confirmation I wanted. BTW I know all the other lines are routed correctly and clear as I've had the inner chain case off to replace the mainshaft seal and replace the sprocket spacer with one of a right dimension . I therefore double-checked all the lines when I came across this anomaly (someone routing the chain oiler to the primary). Your advice sounds good to check the delivery with the case off.

As for the rear chain, I'll lube it intermittently as per any other bike.

Thanks again for your useful advice and for taking the time - much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Oil pump rear chain oiler feeding primary-WTF??