Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Oil/Filter questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Axor
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil/Filter questions

I know there's a section dedicated to Oil and oil related stuff, but I'd like to know from shovelhead owners what they think. I'd like to put in some synthetic AMSOil in my engine... would that hurt anything?

Old 04-14-2009, 06:47 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Axor
I know there's a section dedicated to Oil and oil related stuff, but I'd like to know from shovelhead owners what they think. I'd like to put in some synthetic AMSOil in my engine... would that hurt anything?

"Axor"
"I know there's a section dedicated to Oil and oil related stuff, but I'd like to know from shovelhead owners what they think. I'd like to put in some synthetic AMSOil in my engine... would that hurt anything?"

Warning you can open up a can of crap asking that question : - ))

I know been there done that, I use AMSOIL 20-50 syn I love it, no its not too slippery : - ) no it doesn’t leak out of gaskets ! the amount of bullcrap one gets bringing up using syn is unbelievable the only thing worst is using syn in a new engine “w/o first breaking it in” : - ))

A few things I used syn in a new S&S shovel engine in ’07 the motor was complete and they shipped 4 qt of Mobile one for m/c with the engine, I used it for the first 50 miles then start using AMSOIL the bike runs great never going over 200 degs in traffic in Aug. but I do have a oil cooler.

One thing I would do if I was using dino oil in my ride, is first try this way, getting the old dino out this is important you got to get this dino oil all out as much as possible, I have used this method every 3 or 4 oil changes when I ran dino oil.

If I was to use it in my old engine, I would drain my oil out like I use too (hot), but at every 3 or 4 oil changes I would do this, of course heat up the engine drain the oil, put back the drain plug hand tight, this is if I am changing to synthetic, rinse out and with a mechanic brush with a little kerosene wash around the walls of the tank, unscrew the drain plug, dump this out, re-screw in the drain plug, take off the “incoming oil feed” hose at the top of the oil tank, have at least of 32 oz container (this was easier for me since I have an older large screw off cap on the top of the oil tank), but this can still be done with the side oil entry (dip-stick) of course the kero is out the drain plug in tight, start to pure in the new synthetic, fill up at least almost 3 qts, now with the incoming oil hose off and into the container (mayo jar), start the engine ( for the paranoid have a funnel in your dip-stick fill hole, ready to put in a little extra syn)

As the engine runs take notice the jet black crap oil that is coming out of that hose from the pump and sump almost qt, (this is the crap that always stays in when you change oil) when you see the clean oil just coming out, shut off the engine, put back the hose, add the extra qt or so (if you didn’t add the extra while the crud was pumping out, your engine will survive running on 3 qts of oil : )

This is the only way to get out all of the dino oil, I haven’t use this technique since been use synthetic but will.

One thing AMSOIL makes a flush but it’s only for cars I used it before I switch over to syn, in my car, but on the label it states not for motorcycles, I would listen to them : - )

AMSOIL recommends 10-40 M/C oil for the primary since it doesn’t have things in it to screw up the clutch plates, really works great.

Good luck oh yeah it somebody ever say to you, synthetic oil leaks out of gaskets if true why doesn’t S&S sell special gaskets for syn users ?

cj

Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Heath
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The straight 60 weight is also an option. MIght depend where you live as to which you would rather run.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 PM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 605 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_slowdown
"Axor"
"I know there's a section dedicated to Oil and oil related stuff, but I'd like to know from shovelhead owners what they think. I'd like to put in some synthetic AMSOil in my engine... would that hurt anything?"

Warning you can open up a can of crap asking that question : - ))

I know been there done that, I use AMSOIL 20-50 syn I love it, no its not too slippery : - ) no it doesn’t leak out of gaskets ! the amount of bullcrap one gets bringing up using syn is unbelievable the only thing worst is using syn in a new engine “w/o first breaking it in” : - ))

A few things I used syn in a new S&S shovel engine in ’07 the motor was complete and they shipped 4 qt of Mobile one for m/c with the engine, I used it for the first 50 miles then start using AMSOIL the bike runs great never going over 200 degs in traffic in Aug. but I do have a oil cooler.

One thing I would do if I was using dino oil in my ride, is first try this way, getting the old dino out this is important you got to get this dino oil all out as much as possible, I have used this method every 3 or 4 oil changes when I ran dino oil.

If I was to use it in my old engine, I would drain my oil out like I use too (hot), but at every 3 or 4 oil changes I would do this, of course heat up the engine drain the oil, put back the drain plug hand tight, this is if I am changing to synthetic, rinse out and with a mechanic brush with a little kerosene wash around the walls of the tank, unscrew the drain plug, dump this out, re-screw in the drain plug, take off the “incoming oil feed” hose at the top of the oil tank, have at least of 32 oz container (this was easier for me since I have an older large screw off cap on the top of the oil tank), but this can still be done with the side oil entry (dip-stick) of course the kero is out the drain plug in tight, start to pure in the new synthetic, fill up at least almost 3 qts, now with the incoming oil hose off and into the container (mayo jar), start the engine ( for the paranoid have a funnel in your dip-stick fill hole, ready to put in a little extra syn)

As the engine runs take notice the jet black crap oil that is coming out of that hose from the pump and sump almost qt, (this is the crap that always stays in when you change oil) when you see the clean oil just coming out, shut off the engine, put back the hose, add the extra qt or so (if you didn’t add the extra while the crud was pumping out, your engine will survive running on 3 qts of oil : )

This is the only way to get out all of the dino oil, I haven’t use this technique since been use synthetic but will.

One thing AMSOIL makes a flush but it’s only for cars I used it before I switch over to syn, in my car, but on the label it states not for motorcycles, I would listen to them : - )

AMSOIL recommends 10-40 M/C oil for the primary since it doesn’t have things in it to screw up the clutch plates, really works great.

Good luck oh yeah it somebody ever say to you, synthetic oil leaks out of gaskets if true why doesn’t S&S sell special gaskets for syn users ?

cj
It's not that synthetic will leak out of the gaskets and seals, but that if you ran on Dino oil for a long time then switch over, the detergents in the syn CAN (not will, CAN) clean sludgy oil residue from the seals and in turn cause a seal that wasn't previously leaking to leak. Don't get me wrong, this seal would most likely start leaking soon anyways. It's not that you should necessarily expect that when you switch over that your bike will become a leaker, but just be aware that it can happen.

Otherwise, I use amsoil 20-50 in mine, with 75w-90 in the trans, and it works great.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 PM
KT77
Intermediate

Shovels run best with regular 50w in the winter and 70w in the summer, I tried the syn thing, Didn't like it myself.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:27 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Axor
If you have been running dino oil look here: http://www.bradpennracing.com/
for some great dino oils. They have 50w & 70w as well as 20w50. Call them and find a local distributor. The 20w50 here is about $4.80/qt if you buy a case of 12.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:37 AM
Axor
Novice

Ok. Thanks for the great information. That's what I heard about the syn oil, that it would "leak" through the gaskets. I'm glad you cleared that up. I also heard about the strait 60... I'm not sure how available that is for me in this part of the world.. but I'll see what I can find. Thanks everyone!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:22 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by KT77
Shovels run best with regular 50w in the winter and 70w in the summer, I tried the syn thing, Didn't like it myself.

“KT77”
“Shovels run best with regular 50w in the winter and 70w in the summer, I tried the syn thing, Didn't like it myself.”

Not getting smart a$$ here but what is it with 50, 60 and 70 weight straight oil ? more than a few like to bring up defend or whatever ?

Really besides in the 60-70’s what oil comes with big bore hd engines ? I got mind in ’81 it was 20-50 I live in S.E. PA maybe a case can be made for AZ in aug but I don’t get it ? no bs don’t know ! why would anyone use this thick oil 60 wt in Oct or 70wt in summer in the NE ?

Why unless somebody bike is so old and wore out one has to use this stuff in fill in the gaps ?
I know HD had this molasses in their catalogs and dealers years back, but at the same time they pushed the 20-50 wt. ? in the early 80’s case and cases of 20-50 then in a corner one box of the heavy stuff ?

cj

Old 04-15-2009, 03:27 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by d_slat
It's not that synthetic will leak out of the gaskets and seals, but that if you ran on Dino oil for a long time then switch over, the detergents in the syn CAN (not will, CAN) clean sludgy oil residue from the seals and in turn cause a seal that wasn't previously leaking to leak. Don't get me wrong, this seal would most likely start leaking soon anyways. It's not that you should necessarily expect that when you switch over that your bike will become a leaker, but just be aware that it can happen.

Otherwise, I use amsoil 20-50 in mine, with 75w-90 in the trans, and it works great.

"d slat"
“It's not that synthetic will leak out of the gaskets and seals, but that if you ran on Dino oil for a long time then switch over, the detergents in the syn CAN (not will, CAN) clean sludgy oil residue from the seals and in turn cause a seal that wasn't previously leaking to leak. Don't get me wrong, this seal would most likely start leaking soon anyways. It's not that you should necessarily expect that when you switch over that your bike will become a leaker, but just be aware that it can happen.”

I don’t know it seems to be the staple of people who don’t like syn to start with this leak business not to say I am totally against what you stated, and you use syn but man I think I heard it all, and I heard this before, so the alternative is to use a dirty internal engine ?

“Otherwise, I use amsoil 20-50 in mine, with 75w-90 in the trans, and it works great”

Yeah it’s a great oil and the kicking boy of the dino and syn boys, there are some who just cant stand AMSOIL maybe because they don’t like their advertising or whatever, but they basically invented syn oil, that is there business they pore there profits back into R&D

And the thing I like is that they “name the competition in ads” ! but there is still knot heads that don’t believe them ? I come back and say hay this is 2009 ever heard of lawsuits ?

If I was Mobile or Purple I would sue Amsoil a$$ off if they lied about those tests !

Anyway good hearing from you

cj

Old 04-15-2009, 05:25 PM
KT77
Intermediate

Actually 20/50 in the wintertime is fine, My main deal is in the heat of the summer, My bikes always sound better with 70 in them. I tried 20/50 in the summer, I even tried the 20/50 with an 1/8 quart of lucas in it trick. But in the summer I haven't found anything I like better then 70w. Winter, I think I just use 50 because of the few late toy runs we do, Ya know hurry up and wait type of thing. And by then I just run it the rest of the winter. But maybe you're right, Maybe I'll run 20/50 this winter.

Quick Reply: Oil/Filter questions