Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1983 FLT seat question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 FLT seat question

Ok so here I go again with yet another question about my oddball FL. I have an FLT, not an FLH, an FLT......not a 4 speed but a 5 speed, rubber mounted late model shovel. Leave it to my dumb a$$ to buy an oddball, rare bike. Nothing but match-up issues the whole way with this one.
Anyway, I find myself at the end of my rope regarding a seat for it. The original was so beat up I had to get rid of the busted up pan and shave the foam into a solo seat that I wrapped in a bandana to ride around on. Well that crap got old and I want a regular two-up seat.
Can anyone here please tell me the description I need to look for in buying a seat for this bike? Maybe even a seat from another model year that may fit, even with a small amount of modification?......I just purchased a seat off eBay (shovel brown) but it said it fits, and I quote, "comfort flex seat 1948-1984 4 speed FLH AND 5 speed FLT". That's my bike, right?.....well it may as well be a gold wing seat or a crotch rocket seat......it is nowhere close to fitting my bike. Come to find out via the seller that it needs the scissor style converter that goes from the frame to the seat pan......OMG, can this get any more complicated?!
Can anyone here tell me if there are other seats from other years that may fit my bike other than spending 400+ bucks for a mustang seat.
This whole thing has me at the end of my rope, how hard can it be to lay a seat on this damn bike?!
Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by Hey Zeus; 03-09-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:56 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,242 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Stock FLT seat is frame mounted. I feel your pain, I have an almost stock 84 FLH and am trying to find a good stock replacement seat. Picked up a seat from another site but found out it is the FLT and not the FLH seat. The pan was trashed but I kept the foam and cover.

FLT seat is wider than the FLH seat and has a slightly different configuration. Think the best bet would be to get the parts book. Thought MoCo offered up the FLT/FLHT parts book still.

The comfort flex seat were used 77-80 and 81-82 (slightly different mounting patterns) The FLT came along in 79, so not sure what will/will not work. I have never seen an FLT with a flex seat, only frame mounted.

Hopefully someone can offer a little more information. And you are correct, the FLTs are a bit odd, but guys that own them swear they are one comfortable ride.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:01 AM
pbsteve
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Panz4ever, I just picked up an FLT, that's right another actual FLT, not an FLH, not a 4speed... well anyway, you've heard that already. Here's what's on my setup, or at least what's currently left of my setup, as I rebuild it. Perhaps this will help you Zeus, I took a picture of the Harley part number for you.

It may, or may not have been modified to fit, but it appears that if it was, it was simply one small hole in the rear fender and a bolt through it. hopefully you guys can figure it out, but I'm happy to load more pictures up if you want.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:51 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at Mustang seats website. They have the info you need....and if you got the cash a new seat. Get the parts manual, go to the dealer with your own parts list and know it is correct.

http://www.mustangseats.com/

The following users liked this post:
FLHS1990 (01-09-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 01:49 PM
Flhtcul00
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default suspension for "comfort flex"

Originally Posted by Hey Zeus
Ok so here I go again with yet another question about my oddball FL. I have an FLT, not an FLH, an FLT......not a 4 speed but a 5 speed, rubber mounted late model shovel. Leave it to my dumb a$$ to buy an oddball, rare bike. Nothing but match-up issues the whole way with this one.
Anyway, I find myself at the end of my rope regarding a seat for it. The original was so beat up I had to get rid of the busted up pan and shave the foam into a solo seat that I wrapped in a bandana to ride around on. Well that crap got old and I want a regular two-up seat.
Can anyone here please tell me the description I need to look for in buying a seat for this bike? Maybe even a seat from another model year that may fit, even with a small amount of modification?......I just purchased a seat off eBay (shovel brown) but it said it fits, and I quote, "comfort flex seat 1948-1984 4 speed FLH AND 5 speed FLT". That's my bike, right?.....well it may as well be a gold wing seat or a crotch rocket seat......it is nowhere close to fitting my bike. Come to find out via the seller that it needs the scissor style converter that goes from the frame to the seat pan......OMG, can this get any more complicated?!
Can anyone here tell me if there are other seats from other years that may fit my bike other than spending 400+ bucks for a mustang seat.
This whole thing has me at the end of my rope, how hard can it be to lay a seat on this damn bike?!
Any advice is appreciated.
That suspension exists for that 5 speed frame and I am looking for one myself they are extremely rare and have only seen one on a guy i knows FLHTC same as what i have which shares the frame with the FLT. I was looking for a diagram for the part number when i found your post. i think i found one but until i verify what the part number is i won't post it here.

Old 01-08-2024, 01:49 PM
Flhtcul00
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default suspension for "comfort flex"

That suspension exists for that 5 speed frame and I am looking for one myself they are extremely rare and have only seen one on a guy i knows FLHTC same as what i have which shares the frame with the FLT. I was looking for a diagram for the part number when i found your post. i think i found one but until i verify what the part number is i won't post it here.

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (01-08-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 10:59 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,056 Likes on 1,511 Posts

^^^ There is a Cat here in Michigan that has researched all that...Hopefully he chimes in!! IDK

Old 02-09-2024, 12:31 PM
jimkav
Intermediate
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
^^^ There is a Cat here in Michigan that has researched all that...Hopefully he chimes in!! IDK
I’m tall and purchased 85 evo FLHT
anyone know if bear trap style fits on early evo flht?
would like to sit forward and higher up
will ask on evo as well.
thought 84/85 frames are similar to late model shovel.
thanks for the help!