Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Slim with 200mm crossbones wheel/tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 10:45 PM
SGT. Rosie
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail Slim with 200mm crossbones wheel/tire

Hi all,
I just joined the site to ask some questions. After waiting a decade I finally bought my first Harley. I've always wanted a bobber. I love old school bikes and wanted a springer front end and 200mm rear tire. I was going to have one built by American Classic Motors for $18,000 but they like to use RevTech and Ultima powerplants. So...I'm going to have to wait to one day I can afford a custom build. For now, I found a 2013 Slim with 6k miles I picked up for $9,500. I really wanted the Fatbboy S but this is my first bike, already taken the Harley Safety Course, and it's just to learn and have fun on. I've already ordered the Vance & Hines Bid Radius 2 into 2, Fuel Pak tuner, and Burly Brand 14" apes, and am powdercoating all the chrome.

I have used the search function and that's why I'm reaching out. I've spent the last week reading installs of a 2008-212 crossbones rear wheel 17x6 with a 200mm Cobra tire into Night Trains. I want to reach out to member Blackp5ca , but can't send private messages. He fit a crossbones wheel on his Blackline. I found the wheel from Robs used Harley parts. It seems like Blackp5ca used a Fatboy rock pan and chain guard. He claimed it all bolted right up with no shims or spacers. Is this right? I plan on widening my stock Slim fender to 8.5" and unsure about the struts. Some members mention widening them or stretching them but, I'm unsure how to do this. Also, I am on a budget which is why I'm looking for this swap. I can't afford the Heartland Kit. I don't like the seats in that kit or the RSD. I plan on using my stock Slim solo seat. What other parts will I need for this conversion??? I love things to be in proportion and looking from the back of the bike, the stock 140 has to go. I'm 6' 260 pounds and it looks like a scooter.

Thanks for help!

Last edited by SGT. Rosie; 04-11-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:47 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

You maybe cheaper going with the wcc fender it is 140 dollars and it is not a hard job to fab up. Blackspa helped me threw the build on my bike. The swing arm is the same on the slim as every other 09+ swing arm so you just need the rock guard which is cheap and to space out your fender struts. I used a 20 dollar cutting wheel to cut the fender to the size and shape I wanted.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/WEST-COAST-CHO...%257Ciid%253A9

The following users liked this post:
SGT. Rosie (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 11:55 PM
SGT. Rosie
4th Gear

Originally Posted by stal94gt

You maybe cheaper going with the wcc fender it is 140 dollars and it is not a hard job to fab up. Blackspa helped me threw the build on my bike. The swing arm is the same on the slim as every other 09+ swing arm so you just need the rock guard which is cheap and to space out your fender struts. I used a 20 dollar cutting wheel to cut the fender to the size and shape I wanted.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/WEST-COAST-CHO...%257Ciid%253A9

Stal, thanks for taking the time to help me out. I read alot of previous responses to newbiews like myself and some guys are internet dicks! lol I'll go the WCC fender route. Did you have to lower your rear at all? Are you just spacing your struts ont he fram attachment below the seat with washers,a bout 3/4" on each side? What confused me is guys "reforming them" I guess using heat and bottlejacks or whatever. I didn't know to use fatboy struts or the slims. It's cool that guys are willing to help each other out and you are def paying it forward!

Old 04-12-2017, 09:37 AM
stal94gt
Road Master

For the struts I would just space out your factory struts so you can center your fender over the tire. Blackspa used washers and I measured mine and made spacing plates out of aluminum. My bike is lowered about 1.5 inches in the back

Here is the aluminum spacer I made

The following 2 users liked this post by stal94gt:
aroacha5446 (04-12-2017), SGT. Rosie (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 12:19 PM
SGT. Rosie
4th Gear

For the struts I would just space out your factory struts so you can center your fender over the tire. Blackspa used washers and I measured mine and made spacing plates out of aluminum. My bike is lowered about 1.5 inches in the back

Here is the aluminum spacer I made
Stal, Your bike is badass! I'm glad others like the fatter rear tire and it's cool that you can interchange Harley parts. Damn man you really answered all of my questions. What scared me the most is the Night Train guys having to machine brake calipers and hubs and all the spacers required for their swaps. I tried to follow your link on the ebay fender but it redirected to me to some spam host site....just need the WCC 8.5" roller or a 9"?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 04-12-2017, 02:32 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

You will need the 9 inch wide for 200 tire. Others have used the 8.5 but it is tight fit. The only thing you need for the swap is the wheel, tire, fender, rock guard, and a way to space out your struts. You will need to cut a little out of the inside of your seat to get it to sit flat against the fender.

Here is a link for the rock guard. It is 23 dollars

https://shop.newcastlehd.com/part/60456-08

Last edited by stal94gt; 04-12-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:17 PM
SGT. Rosie
4th Gear

You will need the 9 inch wide for 200 tire. Others have used the 8.5 but it is tight fit. The only thing you need for the swap is the wheel, tire, fender, rock guard, and a way to space out your struts. You will need to cut a little out of the inside of your seat to get it to sit flat against the fender.

Here is a link for the rock guard. It is 23 dollars

https://shop.newcastlehd.com/part/60456-08

Damn man thanks. I don't mean to bug you with questions , but it sucks wasting $ on parts you don't need. You saved me from buying a new chain guard cause Blackp5ca said you'd need one too. I couldn't find any used rock guards on fleabay so thanks for the link.I am considering using one of the stainless steel ones Harley offers that clean up the rear fender, they call it a rear fender extension, do you know what I mean? I think they only make them for the 150mm rears tho. I really appreciate your help!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...and-later.html

Old 04-12-2017, 05:44 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

Since that rock guard does not have the side extensions it will work fine with a 200 tire. You may need a belt guard but I Don't know for sure, I have not had a belt guard on my bike since the day I bought it. I would try your stock one first to see if it will work and shop for a used one if it doesn't

Old 04-13-2017, 10:19 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I've done a few wide tire conversions an I just trimmed the belt guard if the tire rubbed it. I've done this to older softails an I had to put a spacer behind the pulley to get the belt to clear the tire, op may not encounter this since he's using a wheel designed for that generation frame so the hub is wide enough without a spacer.

The following users liked this post:
SGT. Rosie (04-18-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 05:42 PM
SGT. Rosie
4th Gear

Since that rock guard does not have the side extensions it will work fine with a 200 tire. You may need a belt guard but I Don't know for sure, I have not had a belt guard on my bike since the day I bought it. I would try your stock one first to see if it will work and shop for a used one if it doesn't
stal94gt can you txt 9702019639

having some issues with the fender fitment. Did you cut your 8 to 10 off from one side or both???

Last edited by SGT. Rosie; 04-28-2017 at 07:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Softail Slim with 200mm crossbones wheel/tire