Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG still won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 08:29 AM
CowboyFrank
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry HOG still won't start!

I posted earlier this year under "HOG won't start" and thought I had the issue fixed.....but I guess I was wrong. Worked for a minute and then went back to the same issue. Here is and update from prievious post....Not sure whether to start a new post or continue on this one. Got busy and didn't have much time to post. After a few nice rides the ring came back off. So I checked it out and an old biker suggested just welding the ring on instead of trying to re-press it. (to many grooves on the hub so it would probably just keep coming back off anyways) Did that and she fired up good, for a few days! Then she went back to not starting again. So I thought, ok maybe its bad fuel (fuel had been in the tank for a year or so), so I drained the tank put some injector cleaner in and new fuel. Still wouldn't start. Decided to look in the tank and check the fuel pump. Oh my God....the filter on the bottom of the pump is in 3 pieces, just holding together by a few pieces of the outer material. So I buy a new pump, cause i had no idea if there was parts of the material in the pump or not. Took the injectors out and cleaned them real good. put it all back together, still won't start. still just a whining sound like the starter wasn't spinning right. So bought a new starter. Still the same sound. So I thought maybe I didn't adjust the clutch properly and it wasn't releasing. So I adjusted the clutch cable. Still just whining from thr starter with an occasional pop like it was trying to fire. No clue what to try next. Guess it's time to take it to a shop and pay to fix it. Missed an entire season trrying to do it myself. if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful!

Old 01-14-2018, 06:46 PM
arthur6
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Had an 03 Softail, bike just quit while riding it.
messed around on forums for 2 days, got several ideas on possible problem.
Took to a shop - about 15 minutes later and $150 I was good to go.
Hose fell off the fuel pump in the tank.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:37 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

Fuel & spark. One or the other. Has nothing to do with clutch etc.

Could really be anything...as long as it’s related to fuel & or spark.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:05 PM
sdlsaginaw
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by crusader1xxx
Fuel & spark. One or the other. Has nothing to do with clutch etc.

Could really be anything...as long as it’s related to fuel & or spark.
I wouldn’t assume that. The OPs post is all over the place. His original “won’t start” was really a “won’t crank” due to the ring gear. Then he says the ring gear comes off again. Then he works on a bunch of stuff totally unrelated to “not cranking” like the fuel pump and injectors.

It’s anyone’s guess if his bike still isn’t cranking, or cranks now but won’t start.

He needs to clarify exactly what the bike is and isn’t doing at this point.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:48 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

I think you would be better off to update the original thread. Perhaps the mods could merge the two together? Too confusing this way.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:03 AM
CowboyFrank
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ring gear issue was fixed. It started a few times and then went back to the same. I am thinking the ring gear issue was caused by some other issue. Something that makes turning hard and put strain on the pressed on ring gear causing it to eventually break free and just spin. That is no longer happening but it seems to be that it is not turning freely enough to turn over and start. I am in no ways a mechanic but I am mechanically inclined enough to do the work, just need advice on what it can be.
sdlsaginaw details are: when i hit the starter it will turn and seems to want to fire but seems to not fire. Checked the plugs and all wiring. put in a new starter, new fuel pump, new efi line.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:21 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Throwing any codes?

Old 01-20-2018, 01:38 PM
sdlsaginaw
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It’s possible the battery is weak from age or all the cranking. With EFI, the starter can draw the battery voltage down to the point the computer is no longer functioning correctly. You might jump to a car battery (not running!) to see if it has any effect. If that does nothing then as Crusader1xxx said you’ll need to verify fuel and spark. Oh yes, and Norty Flatz has a good point, are you getting any diagnostic codes thrown?

Old 01-20-2018, 06:24 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,310 Likes on 2,357 Posts

The engine turns over, correct? you have no spark, correct? Have you looked at the crank position sensor? This little jewel magnetically looks at the notches on the fly wheel and sees the missing notches that are there, this will in turn trigger the ECM to start the ignition cycle. A few here know how to diagnosis a bad CPS with a multimeter, if it's damaged during oil filter changes it won't do nothing.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:18 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

if not that then TPS possibly.

Maybe do a compression test......then continue down the rabbit hole...