EVO All Evo Model Discussion

FXR: What years are best?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 01:06 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Default FXR: What years are best?

I picked up a real nice XL 1200 Low last January and have been having a blast on it. It's a quick & nimble little **** and a lot of fun in the twisties & canyons. In many ways, it's like a Mini FXR. So now I'm on a quest to find buy an FXR over the winter, and make it my new hot-rod.

In past years, I've never had an interest in FXRs, so I really have no knowledge of them. That being said, I'm curious if any of you know the pros & cons of the various years of FXRs?

I understand that there were a lot of changes in 1984, and that's about the least desirable year. The 1999's carry a pretty hefty price tag. I've heard bar room talk that 1990-1994 were the best years, but have no idea if that's factual.

So any input would be appreciated,
Thanks

Old 11-02-2013, 02:26 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
I picked up a real nice XL 1200 Low last January and have been having a blast on it. It's a quick & nimble little **** and a lot of fun in the twisties & canyons. In many ways, it's like a Mini FXR. So now I'm on a quest to find buy an FXR over the winter, and make it my new hot-rod.

In past years, I've never had an interest in FXRs, so I really have no knowledge of them. That being said, I'm curious if any of you know the pros & cons of the various years of FXRs?

I understand that there were a lot of changes in 1984, and that's about the least desirable year. The 1999's carry a pretty hefty price tag. I've heard bar room talk that 1990-1994 were the best years, but have no idea if that's factual.

So any input would be appreciated,
Thanks
Later the better as a rule. 84 was when they stopped being Shovels and became Evos. As time went by the crankcases improved but if you ask me, any FXR is worth having, I love them!

Old 11-02-2013, 06:44 AM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

1986..... Best year ever! Handling 110hp at the rear wheel and a real canyon carver to boot.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

They're all fine, especially if you install a modern big motor! The late ones get good money as they were limited edition, after the TC was introduced, so they were the very last Evos. For a little added boost in canyon carving add a True-Track kit. Also get a twin front rotor one, with decent ground clearance.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:16 AM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 646 Posts

"Also get a twin front rotor one, with decent ground clearance." This...

If you want to keep the handling, get one that still has the mid-controls. If it doesnt still have the mids, good luck finding replacements. One guy on ebay has the market cornered.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
They're all fine, especially if you install a modern big motor! The late ones get good money as they were limited edition, after the TC was introduced, so they were the very last Evos. For a little added boost in canyon carving add a True-Track kit. Also get a twin front rotor one, with decent ground clearance.
A little old S&S 96" works just fine in an 89! Ground clearance... never felt a need for something like a True-Track with this one, but doesn't take much to grind the floorboards, and that sure limits how hard you can push it. Surprisingly nimble bike for it's weight; it feels lighter than my 1200 sporty while rolling, but of course won't begin to corner with it - followed my daughter once (in the pic) on the 883, and that was the worst board grinding day I've put on it.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:02 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks guys, I'll definitely be sure I have plenty of ground clearance. And I agree that mid controls are a must for this ride. I have seen used mid controls listed on eBay, but yeah, they go for around $500 a set. From the FXRs that I’ve seen listed for sale, it seems like getting one with dual disc's will be most difficult to come by. I'd also like for it to have the stock alloy mag wheels, but those can be found fairly cheap.

I was actually talking with a guy last week that had a 1993 with dual discs, alloy mags, mid controls and a 96" S&S. He was very interested in swapping straight across for my Sportster. His FXR isn't running due to scored cylinders though, and claims it just needs Pistons & Jugs. But I passed, figuring if that's all that's needed he would have made the repairs. That sure would have been a nice one though, I'd love to have an S&S motor.

From the specs I've been reading, it looks like the FXRs only weigh about 60lbs more than my Sportster. So I'd have to assume that a modded 80" Evo engine will pull the bike around pretty good. But yeah, there's nothing like a big inch S&S.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:02 PM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

92 on up FXRS SP OR CONVERT..GOOD STUFF!

Old 11-02-2013, 04:27 PM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

1987 up new / current style transmission

The following users liked this post:
O’Malley the Alley Cat (07-30-2022)
Old 11-02-2013, 08:40 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an '85 FXR and love it. I was an FXR detractor for years.....totally an FX rider. Then I rode one and found one.

Quick Reply: FXR: What years are best?