Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tombstone tail light on a stock heritage fender

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 02:53 AM
Mighty_Mickey
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default tombstone tail light on a stock heritage fender

Has anyone switched to a tombstone tail light on a 2012 heritage.. I which one requires no prep?

Old 01-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Knuckles73
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem you are gonna run into... the rear brake light cut out is wider than the Tombstone.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:39 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mighty_Mickey
Has anyone switched to a tombstone tail light on a 2012 heritage.. I which one requires no prep?
I'm not sure if the Heritage uses the same tail light as the Fatboy, but.. If it does, I put a Fatboy rear fender on my Night Train and installed the "Extra Wide" Tombstone tail light kit for the Fatboy fenders. I believe I got it through J&P. I liked the setup, and it wasn't difficult to install.

I found these three setups (part #'s) on J&P's website:
3400521 (LED version of 3400520)
All of them require relocation of the turn signals, as it says it will not fit with the fender mounted turn signal bar.

According to their "fitment" guide, any of the three will fit the 2012 Heritage. Keep in mind, there is drilling involved. I liked the way it turned out on my Train's Fatboy fender, though.

Rear Wide Tomsbstone tail light with standard NT strut-mounted turn signals. Also used Laydown license plate bracket (but had to mount approximately 1/2" higher due to the Tombstone kit). I used small black plastic hole plugs to fill the factory license plate mounting holes.

After powdercoat

Old 01-08-2015, 03:01 PM
GibT
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Kizzletruck,

What's that white stuff?

Old 01-08-2015, 05:36 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Kizzletruck, Thanks for those pics! I've been working towards doing a tombstone on my Fat Lo but couldn't find fit or looks together that I liked. That one looks a lot better mounted than in the J&P pics. I'm sold. Thanks again!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:03 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GibT
Kizzletruck,

What's that white stuff?
That there, sir.. Would be what the people native to my area call "snow".. It has been known to consume cars, homes, pets, even school districts. Personally, for me it is just another day!

Originally Posted by ILMFBL
Kizzletruck, Thanks for those pics! I've been working towards doing a tombstone on my Fat Lo but couldn't find fit or looks together that I liked. That one looks a lot better mounted than in the J&P pics. I'm sold. Thanks again!
No problem, man. Anything to help. One thing to consider on the Fat Lo, since they have a wider fender than the earlier (pre '06) Fatboys... Make sure the tail light opening is the same/similar. I've taken the liberty to look at the fender on eBay, and it looks like the tail light is probably the same, BUT, there appears to be a molding/stamped area of recession that surrounds where the tail light goes. You would probably see the recessed area but the tombstone would cover the actual hole.. Maybe a bit of body filler and some paint if you are feeling adventurous enough...

Last edited by kizzletruck; 01-08-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:00 AM
Mighty_Mickey
Cruiser

Thanks for the info, looks like i wont be switching to the tombstone taillights, not willing to switch my turn signals til i get hard bags..

Old 01-09-2015, 02:06 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,954 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by Mighty_Mickey
To get the look I wanted on my Heritage (different signals and Tombstone tail light), I had to swap out fender for a Deluxe fender.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following 3 users liked this post by DK Custom:
byersmtrco (02-10-2021), rick601 (02-10-2021), Tony_N (02-09-2021)
Old 01-11-2015, 03:39 AM
Mighty_Mickey
Cruiser

Switching out to a Delux fender would solve all the problems..

Old 01-11-2015, 10:29 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I wish I had seen this thread before I ordered all the replacement parts for my Heritage. I had the back end of the bike wrecked in October when I got hit at a stop sign. It would have been easy to replace all the parts with Deluxe bits.

Quick Reply: tombstone tail light on a stock heritage fender