Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for help customizing my bike!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 03:53 PM
DevilDoctor
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for help customizing my bike!!!

Hello everyone, just registered on here today. I am a navy veteran who was a medic/corpsman for infantry marines, as I served in Iraq twice.

I have a 97 Fatboy and am interested in changing the stock front and rear tires/wheels. I really like the look I see alot of Road Kings have that have the 21" DNA Diamond cut fat daddy spoke rims. I also like the look of the Klock Werks smoothed fenders.

I am completely new to the idea of doing this so please do not take that I know anything for granted. I am looking for information as to by doing such a conversion, how my bike will handle different, how much cost will be potentially associated with it, etc. Again, I am wanting to convert the stock size rim to a 21", possibly change the fender, and do the same to the back.

My profile picture is my bike currently as it is. Any suggestions/advice is welcome and thank you in advance! Josh

Attached Thumbnails Looking for help customizing my bike!!!-harley.jpg  
Old 06-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Dogs57
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

First off, thank you for your service to this country. I had a 1991 Fatboy that I customized before I bought my Night Train. You have a nice looking bike. Converting to a 21 inch front wheel won't adversly affect the handling one bit. It will feel a little bit different at first but then you'll get used to it. You'll probably need a new front fender or you could get spacers to raise the stock fender. Only problem with that is you'll have a skinnier front tire under a fender that is much wider than the wheel. The more parts you buy the more it is going to cost you. Good luck and safe riding.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:12 AM
DevilDoctor
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogs57
First off, thank you for your service to this country. I had a 1991 Fatboy that I customized before I bought my Night Train. You have a nice looking bike. Converting to a 21 inch front wheel won't adversly affect the handling one bit. It will feel a little bit different at first but then you'll get used to it. You'll probably need a new front fender or you could get spacers to raise the stock fender. Only problem with that is you'll have a skinnier front tire under a fender that is much wider than the wheel. The more parts you buy the more it is going to cost you. Good luck and safe riding.
Thank you, and thank you for the reply. I am curious: does the front tire HAVE to be more narrow then before, or do they make rims the same width as stock (i dont know what the stock width is)?

Old 06-08-2015, 07:57 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Those fat spoke rims are probly my fave..
Besides that I like your setup very much..
The colour kills..

Old 06-08-2015, 08:15 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Welcome to the Forum from Colorado!
and thatnk you for your service.
Your current wheels are 16 x 3 front and rear. Most common conversion on the front is a 21 X 3.5 as seen on the front of a Breakout. Hogpro is a wheel vendor that is a sponsor on here, send them an e-mail or give them a call, they'll help you get what you're after with a Forum discount to boot.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:04 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Check out member HarleyHeaven's bike. Sounds a lot like what you want to do: FB with Klockwerks fenders all around...