Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedometer inop. options? 2005 springer classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 07:28 PM
Philphine
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default speedometer inop. options? 2005 springer classic

about a mile into starting a ride yesterday i noticed my speedometer wasn't working. from what i've read so far it may be the speedo it's self (turn signals still cancel, odo still working, various warning lights still working). haven't had it back out to see (i prettymuch to rode back home and parked it) beyond checking the plugs under the console, the fuse, and a roll down the drive to see if either made a difference.

still trying to troubleshoot, but if i have to change it, can i get one with the tach at the bottom or in the corner? i see them on ebay and had been wanting one anyway, but don't know what may or may not interchange.

thanks for any help on either question.

edit: in case it makes a difference, it's fuel injected.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:56 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Old 06-16-2015, 09:19 AM
Philphine
Tourer

thanks, but crisis averted for now.

my supervisor rode in to work yesterday and pointed out the sensor I needed to be looking at (I was looking at the wrong one). just pull it out and wipe off the metal shavings he said. I didn't think it would work since it didn't seem to have any, but I stuck back in and the speedo worked fine.

i'd still like a speedo tach, but can go back to searching at my leisure (and hoping to luck on a deal). also still wondering if there's a way to know what will interchange. thanks again.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:50 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Yep, got one on my 07 and love it..

Old 06-16-2015, 10:36 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Those speedos marry to the computer on the bike after 30 miles or so and then cannot be married to another bike. HD won't do it. This is for 04+, bikes earlier bikes had the miles stored in the speedometer.

So don't buy one used unless you want to use it as a paperweight.

Oh and while I have one, and I think it looks cool, the tach is way too far out of your line of site to be useful when running through the gears. You don't want to be looking down when you have the throttle WOT. A bar mount that you can see out of your peripheral vision is much better for a usable tach if you really want a tach to use it to wind out the gears.

I had the same problem with my 03 bike speedo by the way, with the same solution.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:50 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Philphine
thanks, but crisis averted for now.

my supervisor rode in to work yesterday and pointed out the sensor I needed to be looking at (I was looking at the wrong one). just pull it out and wipe off the metal shavings he said. I didn't think it would work since it didn't seem to have any, but I stuck back in and the speedo worked fine.

i'd still like a speedo tach, but can go back to searching at my leisure (and hoping to luck on a deal). also still wondering if there's a way to know what will interchange. thanks again.
turn signals still cancel, odo still working
That made me think that it's not a problem with the speed sensor, and therefore didn't suggest inspecting it.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:00 PM
Philphine
Tourer

Originally Posted by 1004ron
That made me think that it's not a problem with the speed sensor, and therefore didn't suggest inspecting it.
that's what i thought too, after some searching of old threads, but since he's prettymuch a harley gearhead (or a gearhead in general actually) and the sensor was easier than i thought to get to, it was worth a shot. happily so.

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Those speedos marry to the computer on the bike after 30 miles or so and then cannot be married to another bike. HD won't do it. This is for 04+, bikes earlier bikes had the miles stored in the speedometer.

So don't buy one used unless you want to use it as a paperweight.
i guess that rules out a cheap deal.

still want one eventually though. i just like having one for more the opposite reason than racing. i tend to putter around on the low end of useable rpm's, and don't want to lug too much.

still ebaying for styles and see one i like (can't post a link but one part# is 74723-10), but the earliest year i've seen it for is 2008. this one says '09-'11. anyone know if that will work on my 2005? thanks.