Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big city thunder baffles re-tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 06:58 AM
MarkFXSTC
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Big city thunder baffles re-tuning

Fitted baffles today in big radius pipes as per the recommended position by BCTB. 6" from the end. That was easy - not. I started it up and tbh it didn't sound much different to the stock V & A std baffles. But to be fair it was in the garage so very echoey. Anyway now I have, technically, a different system, does the mapping need to be changed? I plugged my FP3 in and for my pipes it just said std baffle or none. Not ridden it yet as it was raining today.
Does anyone know?
Thanks

Old 11-16-2015, 04:08 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would autotune every time I made a change to the airflow. Changing baffles, cleaning out or replacing the filter, even changing an air cleaner cover. Why wouldn't you try and get the best out of your bike, since you already have all the equipment to do so? In the time it takes you to read all the posts that your thread attracts, you could be out riding the thing. There's still good weather in the UK. Make the most of it!

Old 11-16-2015, 04:28 AM
MarkFXSTC
Tourer

Originally Posted by peg20
I would autotune every time I made a change to the airflow. Changing baffles, cleaning out or replacing the filter, even changing an air cleaner cover. Why wouldn't you try and get the best out of your bike, since you already have all the equipment to do so? In the time it takes you to read all the posts that your thread attracts, you could be out riding the thing. There's still good weather in the UK. Make the most of it!
Decent weather yesterday so did about 50 miles. I'll do an auto tune.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:38 AM
Racer78
Cruiser

I used to run that same set up plus I installed the shortened stock V&H baffle after the BCT baffles near the pipe exit. The biggest and best thing to dial the sound tone/note in was to adjust the V&H FuelPak I had previously installed.

Cheers

Old 11-22-2015, 08:28 AM
MarkFXSTC
Tourer

Originally Posted by Racer78
I used to run that same set up plus I installed the shortened stock V&H baffle after the BCT baffles near the pipe exit. The biggest and best thing to dial the sound tone/note in was to adjust the V&H FuelPak I had previously installed.

Cheers
Thanks for that. Was yours the permanently attached fuel pack or the FP3?

Old 11-22-2015, 07:25 PM
Racer78
Cruiser

The older one. 2003 Softail. Took a lot of the pingy tone away and gave it a more mild throaty sound. I had to play with the first few numbers on the FuelPak to remove the throttle stutter off the bottom.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:58 PM
MarkFXSTC
Tourer

Originally Posted by Racer78
The older one. 2003 Softail. Took a lot of the pingy tone away and gave it a more mild throaty sound. I had to play with the first few numbers on the FuelPak to remove the throttle stutter off the bottom.
I emailed V & H and they suggest running Autotune to create the right map.