Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Pro Street Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 10:35 PM
1BMFFL
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Pro Street Project

Question: If you could buy a Pro Street and had a healthy budget for add ons and accessories, new motor and trans, full and complete custom paint including the frame, custom wheels, etc.

1) What Manufacturer and Model would you pick ?

2) What motor would you go with ?

3) What Trans ?

I looked at the Breakout but it will be a challenge getting a true Pro Street look out of it and I'm not crazy about tearing front ends apart.

I keep going back to the Rocker because the bike is very reasonably priced at this point and with some TLC has potential to be completely bad ***. The Rocker is limited on the size motor it will take, 124" seems to be the max, can always have fun staging that out though. I think it has a nice rake on it now and I like that it's a Harley.

Thank you for reading my post, if you have time, please chime in with your thoughts, would be very grateful to hear your opinion, experience, and mechanical thoughts on this projects...

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, and be safe my brothers,

SFC in Florida

Last edited by 1BMFFL; 04-17-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:22 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

If I were doing it, I'd try to keep it simple by starting with a Breakout, Rocker, or Wideglide, for the rake. Some people have added some additional rake with raked trees, with seemingly no ill effects. Starting with a stock frame gives lots of choices of bolt-on parts, and lets you keep the rubber-mounts if you go with the dyna frame and a non-balance-shaft engine (some aftermarket frames don't).

Of these frames, I'd probably go with the Wideglide, for a couple of reasons: The non-balance shaft engine is a little simpler, a little lighter, and doesn't have as much rotating mass to accelerate.
It looks like less work to lengthen the swingarm (or buy aftermarket), if you wanted to lengthen the bike a little, either for looks, or to be more resistant to wheelstanding.

A plus to the Rocker or Breakout though is that the drive belt is already offset enough run a rear tire up to 260 wide or so.

A lot will depend on what you're up to though, like whether you want to build a one-of-a kind custom, or whether you'd rather have something which can at least be minimally serviced by a dealer or indy, if you actually plan to ride it much, and break down on the road somewhere. I've had some street vehicles that nobody else could really work on, and it really restricted where I was comfortable going with them. About the only option was to trailer them home if anything went wrong.

Another option:
Some used custom bikes can be purchased pretty cheaply, for way less than it cost to build them. But as you can see, my approach leans toward the practical, and I have no idea if that's a priority for you.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 04-17-2016 at 05:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
1BMFFL (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 07:38 PM
1BMFFL
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you my brother, words of wisdsom !!

Sean

Old 06-17-2016, 09:14 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

As for the motor, the S&S hot set up kits are hard to beat. You can turn the 96 and 103" into a 124" beast! 4K for a solid crank assembly, pistons, jugs, Heads....

Old 06-18-2016, 12:45 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by FLS103
As for the motor, the S&S hot set up kits are hard to beat. You can turn the 96 and 103" into a 124" beast! 4K for a solid crank assembly, pistons, jugs, Heads....
4k is for parts only. After you include all the hidden costs (better air cleaner, bigger throttle body, bigger manifold, bigger injectors, bigger exhaust, ecm, stronger clutch, rocker covers, etc.) and labor (removal of old engine, disassembly to split cases, machining bigger bores, cam clearance, timken upgrade, reassembly, reinstall motor, etc.) the costs are over 10k.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:24 AM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
4k is for parts only. After you include all the hidden costs (better air cleaner, bigger throttle body, bigger manifold, bigger injectors, bigger exhaust, ecm, stronger clutch, rocker covers, etc.) and labor (removal of old engine, disassembly to split cases, machining bigger bores, cam clearance, timken upgrade, reassembly, reinstall motor, etc.) the costs are over 10k.
Agreed to a point. He said he had a healthy budget and I kind of figured air cleaner, exhaust, tuner, better clutch, throttle body and injectors are a given with any decent build. The machine work is pricey for sure. Also forgot that not everyone wrenches on their own bike and as a result gets hooked with high labor costs.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:50 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Harley

A 120R crate motor and blow it out

Add supercharger

Hold on tight.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:50 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts