Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes, your height and riding postion

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 05:49 PM
TripleB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apes, your height and riding postion

I have my mind set to get some Todds 12" 1.5 Apes put on my bike just before I return from this deployment.

I want to go on a multi state ride across SE US with the few off days I have.

I am 5' 8" I might be on the edge of being a little short for 12"s but I am not sure, do not want to be reaching above shoulder height if i can help it.

I would welcome info anyone cares to share on their height, Apes and riding position.

Thanks

Old 05-30-2016, 06:04 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleB
I have my mind set to get some Todds 12" 1.5 Apes put on my bike just before I return from this deployment.

I want to go on a multi state ride across SE US with the few off days I have.

I am 5' 8" I might be on the edge of being a little short for 12"s but I am not sure, do not want to be reaching above shoulder height if i can help it.

I would welcome info anyone cares to share on their height, Apes and riding position.

Thanks
Height is not the only consideration. Two guys of the same height might have a different inseam, which means their torso is different length also. This comes into play because it's the torso length, or height above the seat that matters with apes. That being said, seats make a difference too.
I am 6' 2" with a 34" inseam, long torso and arms and I run 16" apes. With the stock seat on my Slim they were below my shoulders. Installed a Le Pera bare bones seat which is lower profile and the grips are just above my shoulders which is what I like.
The 12" bars should be ok at your height. If the bars are racked forward the grips will be a bit higher than if the bars are inline with forks. This gives you a bit of adjustment for height and reach.
Enjoy that bike while you can, I know how it is between deployments. Thanks for your service.

The following users liked this post:
Rozco (03-06-2021)
Old 05-30-2016, 06:12 PM
Staggie
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 11 Posts

Same as above.. 6'2" but a 32" inseam and long torso. 16" apes with 2" risers and my grips sit slightly below my shoulder. Also running a Corbin seat which sits me a little lower.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:30 PM
TripleB
Advanced

Appreciate the response.
I get the torso height thing.

I use to ride my RK on multi hour rides all the time before moving south. Longest ride on my Slim so far has been the day I bought it 2.5.hrs. Been a slave to work these last two years no long rides. Just in and across town.

But i like my stock seat so far do not plan to change it. ... Yet

I have read and been told that for a ape to really look cool it should be forward of the fork line. I tend to agree based on pictures.

Hopefully some one in the 5' 8" range will share their thoughts too.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:55 PM
Kburgad
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm 6'4" and have 34 inseam, I've got 14.5 rise on the bars with 3.5" riders my bars have 6 inches of pullback, with my corbin solo classic they are just at shoulder. With corbin hollywood just above my shoulders. They are halfway between straight up and even with the forks.
I have a narrowed set of 1 1/4 just mayhem bars

Old 05-30-2016, 06:56 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleB
Appreciate the response.
I get the torso height thing.

I use to ride my RK on multi hour rides all the time before moving south. Longest ride on my Slim so far has been the day I bought it 2.5.hrs. Been a slave to work these last two years no long rides. Just in and across town.

But i like my stock seat so far do not plan to change it. ... Yet

I have read and been told that for a ape to really look cool it should be forward of the fork line. I tend to agree based on pictures.

Hopefully some one in the 5' 8" range will share their thoughts too.
Agreed with the forward of fork line statement. My bars are racked way forward, when I pull them back inline with forks they are below shoulder height and too close for comfort, jams my arm into an uncomfortable position. I rack them forward so I can relax my arms, it also looks better.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:04 PM
Mighty_Mickey
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i'm 5'8" with 29 inch inseam.. I'm running 14 inch Santees on a heritage and could of gone with 16's.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:10 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

I am short standing 5'5" and I have a stock black line seat setup on my bike with 18 inch bars 7 inches of pull back and 38 inches wide. My hands are about at my ears but I have a long torso and long arms for my height

Old 05-30-2016, 07:19 PM
stphardcore
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride a slim with 12" x 1.5 Todds strip bars and I'm 5'9"
First, I really like the appearance.
Second, I find the bars to be quite comfortable. With a bare bones seat the bars are just below shoulder level.
As far as riding position is concerned I find myself to be slouched while riding. If I make an effort to sit up straight my hands are about two inches below my shoulders.
I haven't been on any day long rides, so I can't help you there, but I ride about an hour a day with zero issues or complaints.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:02 PM
GMWhiteGuy
Advanced

This is my Breakout with 10" Todds Strip Bars. Im 5'8" and these have my arms almost dead even with my shoulders, very comfortable. Bike handles like a completely different animal, for the better.

Quick Reply: Apes, your height and riding postion