Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on a solo seat for my 16 slim

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 07:15 AM
Roggow12
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice on a solo seat for my 16 slim

Alright guys have had my bike for bout a month now have bout 700 miles on it and the factory seat has to go. My back hurts so bad after bout 30 miles gotta get up stretch and walk around for awhile. Granted I am not in the best riding shape yet but this seat is bad. Just curious what seat a guy should go with or what you guys went with on your rides. Would like to keep it a solo ride, so any input would be aprrecited thanks a lot guys.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:41 AM
gd59
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Check out this post for some ideas this has been discussed many times
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...slim-some.html

Old 08-18-2016, 08:28 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain
Received 174 Likes on 83 Posts

There's tons of options out there. Firstly how tall are you? Do you want to be further forward, further back, higher?

If you want a sprung seat there is a number of options, if you want a normal solo padded seat there's also loads of options.

First up do a search. The subject has been covered quite a lot.

For me, I went all around the houses. I ended up trying a solo sprung seat to set up with brackets that I manufactured myself. I could never get it right and eventually bought a Seat from a soft tail deluxe.

I eventually went back to the stock seat and somehow found it much more comfortable than I first did, but I often switch it out for the deluxe seat and I'm going to try and make a new bracket for the sprung seat set up to put it further back further down.

This old post of mine might help you too:
Softail slim seats - what I'velearned

E

Last edited by stinkerbill; 08-18-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:10 AM
misterslim
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Danny Gray Buttcrack Solo - works for me!

Old 08-18-2016, 11:45 AM
fboy319
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife was in tears after riding her Slim 800 miles to Sturgis this year. First thing I did was go to Mustang and get her a Wide Vintage Touring Solo with Back Rest. She put on a few miles touring around the hills but it hadn't broke in . During the trip back was where she really started to appreciate it.Like night and day now. I still have to get rid of the Slammer bars but it's a start. She' 5' 8 about 120 on a good day. Hope this helps

Old 08-18-2016, 12:38 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

You need the Ultimate if you want real comfort, here it is on mine

Attached Thumbnails Looking for advice on a solo seat for my 16 slim-fatty.jpeg  
Old 08-19-2016, 02:13 PM
virtualpj
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Freak Show
You need the Ultimate if you want real comfort, here it is on mine

They don't make one for the Slim.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:36 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain
Received 174 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by misterslim
Danny Gray Buttcrack Solo - works for me!
How does it compare to the stock seat in terms of position?

Also, where are the pressure points?

I'm finding the position of my stock seat (now that I've turned the bars towards me a touch) is perfect, but after a while it's hurting my butt.

I'm basically after a similar position but COMFORT!

I tried a Mustang Day Tripper, but the angle/shape of the back part of the seat meant it was pressing against my tailbone

Old 08-22-2016, 09:50 AM
misterslim
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stinkerbill
How does it compare to the stock seat in terms of position?

Also, where are the pressure points?

I'm finding the position of my stock seat (now that I've turned the bars towards me a touch) is perfect, but after a while it's hurting my butt.

I'm basically after a similar position but COMFORT!

I tried a Mustang Day Tripper, but the angle/shape of the back part of the seat meant it was pressing against my tailbone
Well, it's been over a year now, but if I remember correctly it is a touch lower. As far as fore-aft positioning, I find that I can move myself about depending on my riding attitude. If casually cruising I rest the bottom of my spine against the back of the seat in sort of a slouched position which places my heels on the forward part of the footboards. In town or when riding somewhat aggressively I sit with my butt planted more on the beginning of the rise of the seat which makes my torso more upright.
Regarding pressure points, since I change my position on the seat, I don't really notice any, But if I had to say, the bottom of my cheek bones do feel something, but not any way near uncomfortable.
I was out for a 2.5 hr. ride Saturday and when I got home I felt I could do another ride. No discomfort at all.
I will say that the seat and myself did need a breaking in period, but initially the seat was a tremendous improvement over the stock seat. For reference, I am 5-8 and 190. Hope this helps.