Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Fatboy forward controls

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 04:47 PM
rgm
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Fatboy forward controls

I am looking at installing forward controls on a 2004 fatboy. Suggestions on whats available and how easy it is to do yourself......

Old 10-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2004 Fatboy forward controls

Curious myself.
I do know there's some swapping you may have to do with the rear brake resevoir and shifter linkage, typically.
I've only seen one set that was specifically available to replace floorboards on FL softails.. a long time ago.. by kuryakyn I think.
"floorboard eliminators" or something like that.

Found it: http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=2464

Question is, are the frames actually different between the fatty and the standard?
If they're the same, then standard softail OEM or aftermarket forward controls should bolt right up..
That's what the parts guys tried to tell me once.

Good question.

TC, this would be a gooooood one for the diy section.. forward controls on an FL softail.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I put forwards on my springer classic last week and have to say it was pretty easy. Pics are at this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/m_130477/tm.htm

I bought the HD billet forwards Part number 33907-01

They are listed to fit the FX but they fit my springer without modification and should fit the FatBoy as well. I believe they all use the same frame. The install was very straight forward. It's really just a matter of removing the floorboards (3 bolts each + shift linkage on left, and brake line on right side) The forwards bolt to the same location although I installed a Arlen Ness 3-inch extension kit as well. The extension simply moves the forwards up with mounting brackets and also includes an extended brake line as well as a longer shift linkage. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are but I would rate the job as easy. It does help to have second person. Another set of hands really help holding things in place while bolting them on as well as for the bleeding of the brakes. The other thing is you'll want to have a bike jack handy since you will be removing your stand which is mounted to the floorboard bracket. The install took me about 2 1/2 hours and it helped that I had removed the pipes since I changed them at the same time.

The HD forwards list for about $660 and the extension kit was about $170 and don't forget to pick up brake fluid before you start the install.

I think the quality of the forwards is very good and I'm very happy with the results on my bike. It's comfortable and I like the fact that the floorboards aren't right there anymore when I go to put my feet on the ground.

I did look at several other controls and ended up getting the HDs since they seem to be right in the middle price wise. Of course there are other choices and I would talk to my dealer to find out what will work for you. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rgm

I am looking at installing forward controls on a 2004 fatboy. Suggestions on whats available and how easy it is to do yourself......
There ya go rgm. That's what I love about this site.. Ask and ye shall receive. On putting these on a fatboy, the one I saw finished it off proper with a chrome forks and some custom wheels, though I think even the stock cast wheels would look pretty tough with the controls.

From what it sounds like, the work isn't that bad.. Probably the hardest part would be bleeding the rear brakes.. or at least that's the type of thing I haven't done yet.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:33 AM
rgm
Cruiser

Thanks guys....helped a lot. Pics look great of that springer......well done.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:09 PM
BigDog1
Stage II
Default Pros and cons to Forward controls

Hi! Hey I just picked up a98 Fatboy with the forward controls installed. I feel I'm too short to reach them without really stretching (I'm 5'7). It also makes slow turns very difficult to balance without putting my feet down. My seating position puts me on my tailbone to reach the pedals. Is it very involved going back to OEM? Someone said the primary case and some sprokets might need to be removed. Also, the kickstand and probably one of the VandH pipes. Is there any way to bring the controls closer to me? I have the HD Billet Forward Controls pn#33907-01. This is preventing me from riding confidently since I really can't reach the rear brake pedal. Would I be better off installing footpegs rather than the floorboards. Please help me . I hate loosing this riding time!! Thanks BigDog1

Old 05-29-2007, 04:07 PM
BigDog1
Stage II
Default RE: Pros and cons to Forward controls

ORIGINAL: BigDog1

Hi! Hey I just picked up a98 Fatboy with the forward controls installed. I feel I'm too short to reach them without really stretching (I'm 5'7). It also makes slow turns very difficult to balance without putting my feet down. My seating position puts me on my tailbone to reach the pedals. Is it very involved going back to OEM? Someone said the primary case and some sprokets might need to be removed. Also, the kickstand and probably one of the VandH pipes. Is there any way to bring the controls closer to me? I have the HD Billet Forward Controls pn#33907-01. This is preventing me from riding confidently since I really can't reach the rear brake pedal. Would I be better off installing footpegs rather than the floorboards. Please help me . I hate loosing this riding time!! Thanks BigDog1