Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DNA wheels any better QC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 10:37 AM
Mabbott
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default DNA wheels any better QC?

So I'm looking around for rims, 21x3.5 front and stuck between 16 or 18 rear with white walls. I've read all the DNA horror stories, but they are all old threads from years ago. Has anything changed as far as their quality control? I'm looking for black rims and polished or chrome spokes and it seems they A, had issues with air leaks and B, had issues with the "powder coating" peeling off the rims.

I know I'm going to get people saying don't cheap out and get ride wrights or sinister, but come on, $2500 for 2 rims is pretty crazy. I'm not set on the fat spokes, wouldn't mind normal spokes, but I do want black rims and hubs with polished spokes. If I went with normal spokes, I'd probably do 60 spoke. This will be for my 08 deluxe with 25mm front and rear bearings.

Pictures of your rims would be nice too

The following users liked this post:
NBK (01-25-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 10:56 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

No DNA is not any better today, you get what you pay for. IMO 60 spoke (traditional spokes) look the best. If you go with an 18" rear your only WWW tire option is Vee Rubber at this point in time...Save the coin, get good quality wheels, even one at a time if need be. If you have issues with DNA wheels, the cost will end up in the ballpark of just getting good wheels from the beginning, this is speaking from multiple experiences with DNA wheels...

Old 01-18-2017, 04:38 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree about the DNA so if dont want to drop serious coin but want good quality 40 or 80 spoke wheels check out Landmark. Sold quite a few sets over the years never had any problems. Probably around $700 per wheel for what you want.

The following users liked this post:
Mabbott (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 04:45 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with my DNA wheel that I've been running for the last 5 years. Everyone keeps telling me it sucks.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Cousy
I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with my DNA wheel that I've been running for the last 5 years. Everyone keeps telling me it sucks.
What is your point?

Are you saying that those who have said they had problems with this company are all lying?

Old 01-18-2017, 07:39 PM
Mabbott
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hogpro
I agree about the DNA so if dont want to drop serious coin but want good quality 40 or 80 spoke wheels check out Landmark. Sold quite a few sets over the years never had any problems. Probably around $700 per wheel for what you want.
Thanks man, I'm checking out the landmark wheels right now. They can do a 80 spoke front and rear package for $1400 and will powder coat the rim and hub for no extra charge. Not bad at all.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:33 AM
racerkvn
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
What is your point?

Are you saying that those who have said they had problems with this company are all lying?
I'm sure the point is there are thousands of DNA wheels running up and down the roads all over the world and the few people who have had issues certainly do not speak for everybody that owns DNA wheels.

One thing about it, the cost of a tube is the same no matter which spoked wheel you buy. My buddy bought the SAME tube for his high dollar wheel as I did for my DNA wheel.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:37 AM
Mabbott
Tourer

Originally Posted by racerkvn
I'm sure the point is there are thousands of DNA wheels running up and down the roads all over the world and the few people who have had issues certainly do not speak for everybody that owns DNA wheels.

One thing about it, the cost of a tube is the same no matter which spoked wheel you buy. My buddy bought the SAME tube for his high dollar wheel as I did for my DNA wheel.
Honestly if I wanted just chrome rims, I would probably go with dna and throw tubes in them, but I want powder coated rims and hubs which I've seen way to many issues with the "powder coating" on dna rims just flaking off, which if it was powder coated properly, wouldn't happen.

I seem to have bad luck with this kind of stuff so I'm going to save my pennies and go with a company that stands behind their product.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:30 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by racerkvn

If you think leaking is the only issue with DNA wheels you are sorely mistaken....

Old 01-25-2017, 01:33 AM
jasonleahey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dna wheels

I got some of the DNA fat spokes and have not had a issue with them ... finish looks nice as far as I can tell ... no issues with it they had been installed for 2 years now no flaking etc ... I may have gotten a unicorn set .. but I like em

Quick Reply: DNA wheels any better QC?