Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on custom paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 10:09 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Thoughts on custom paint

I have a 2015 Slim. It is all black. I have done a bit of mods. This winter I got Klock Werks front and rear fenders. (pic from their website) The guy who is going to paint them made a comment to me last night when I paid him that I am just a gas tank away from painting the entire bike. I actually had this thought when I purchased the fenders. So my g/f and I been looking at different paint jobs. I know that it is my bike and the decision will be mine but I am looking for some opinions. I have a white emblem on the tank and white walls. So we were toying with the idea of black and white two tone like on the Deluxe?

Old 02-08-2017, 10:11 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member

I forgot to add the pics

Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on custom paint-img_6430-3-.jpg   Thoughts on custom paint-img_6432-1-.jpg   Thoughts on custom paint-img_8029.jpg  
Old 02-08-2017, 10:27 PM
-deuced-
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

google - images - "harley davidson wall of tanks"

Might provide some inspiration for you.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:28 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Since you are replacing the fenders, you are close yes, but is this a forever bike? If it is going as wild as you like, if it isn't you'll never get your money back, so unless you wanted to get another tank too, and keep your stock tins to put back on, I wouldn't recommend you get to froggy, and this is from a guy with a wild custom paint job.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:33 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

I like the blackout theme your's has. It's your bike so if you don't like it switch it out to something you do. Your idea would go with the white walls nicely but because I like the blackout yours has so much I'd be tempted to paint the fenders black and ditch the white walls.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:39 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member

I have used Google. It just makes me more confused lol.

If I were to do custom paint it would be a simple two tone I am not concern about being able to put it back to stock. So fender are for sale

I like the WW. They go well with the white emblems. I get many compliments. Just ordered new bars as well

Old 02-08-2017, 11:29 PM
Mabbott
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm sort of biased but I love black bikes with white walls. I think black and white two tone would give it more of a nostalgic cruiser look and all black with white walls is more of the old school hot rod look. Just my opinion. Just depends on what look your going for. Personally, I'd stick with all black, stretched fender, mmmmm reminds me of a late '40's mercury. Definitely on my to do list. Bike looks good man and is about to look really good!

Old 02-09-2017, 12:47 AM
rquest
Road Master
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Check out Alsa Soft Touch top coat, I used it on my blue bike in signature and put it on a black tank with silver flames

Last edited by rquest; 02-09-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:16 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by FFeric
I have a 2015 Slim. It is all black. I have done a bit of mods. This winter I got Klock Werks front and rear fenders. (pic from their website) The guy who is going to paint them made a comment to me last night when I paid him that I am just a gas tank away from painting the entire bike. I actually had this thought when I purchased the fenders. So my g/f and I been looking at different paint jobs. I know that it is my bike and the decision will be mine but I am looking for some opinions. I have a white emblem on the tank and white walls. So we were toying with the idea of black and white two tone like on the Deluxe?
A paint job, whether wild or mild can really make a BIG difference in the bike.

I've had a couple of bikes done, and I spent a ton of time looking at thousands of pics to figure out what I wanted.

One is a bit out there, and probably will reduce the potential market of buyers if I were to ever sell it...but I have no intention of selling it.

Name:  Before%20after%20883cr_zpsj9uruize.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  210.0 KB

The other is a more classic look, and I get a TON of compliments on it...plus it is exactly what I've had in my minds eye since I was a kid, watching the bikers roar down Westminster Blvd.

Name:  SoftailBeforeAfter3_zps46cd5649.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  238.0 KB

As you can see, they both started out black, and the paint really makes a BIG difference.

I am really happy that I took the time and got them how I wanted. Both are one of a kind, and it did not cost anymore than if I would have done the same paint that is on thousands of other bikes.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-09-2017, 03:38 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,858 Likes on 4,112 Posts

When considering custom paint for my Heritage, I knew I wanted a black and white bike. I also thought about my favorite car, a 1958 Corvette and it's classic paint scheme. Fortunately, HD has never issued a stock black and white Heritage. Deluxe yes but not on a Heritage. My 1988 Heritage was black and creme.

While staring at the Vette, I realized that the paint scheme was similar to the classic Harley paint scheme so that it was I chose. I liked it because it was simple and classic.

Here's the 1958 Corvette and my 2012 Heritage

Quick Reply: Thoughts on custom paint