Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

telescopic front end onto 2008 CVO Springer ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 06:07 AM
gmeikle
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default telescopic front end onto 2008 CVO Springer ?

Also listed in the suspension forum sorry , need max exposure !)

Telescopic front end onto a 2008 Springer , has anyone done this already ?

I know it will have been done before now , just looking for input and hints and tips from anyone who has done so.

I know I'll need triple trees / forks / front fender / front caliper / headlight etc.

Maybe wheel and disc also ( tho' I'd like to keep the stock 18 inch front wheel to match the rear if at all possible !)

My Springer front end for now at least is cactus , there appears to be no repairing of the stock Springer forks in Australia.

I have located a 2013 Softail Standard front end complete , new bike take off ( The guy had fitted a SPRINGER front end from new WTF ??)

Springer has a 3/4 axle , donor will have a 25mm no doubt , ways and hints to get round that ?

I'm assuming the same headstock bearing arrangement and an "easy" straight swap there.

Hopefully keeping the stock ( internally wired !) Springer handlebars. Are the stock Springer risers gunna work ?

Thanks in advance from Australia gents

Old 07-12-2017, 07:28 AM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 432 Posts

I get you're in a pinch on fixing what you have. But I would assume keep it as a springer. Harley doesn't make them anymore and I've seen a few of that year CVOs around and they are definitely eye catchers.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:49 AM
gmeikle
Cruiser

$8,300 Australian to fix it up again as an OEM Springer with new HD parts

$900 Australian to put a used telescopic front end onto it(plus LOTS of grief no doubt!)

Plan is "Later" I find and fix up the Springer parts again , buying them over time and bit by bit.

Flawed logic maybe , all because a new Indian migrant can't drive for **** !

Old 07-12-2017, 10:14 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts
Old 07-12-2017, 02:03 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,234 Likes on 5,406 Posts

Originally Posted by gmeikle
$8,300 Australian to fix it up again as an OEM Springer with new HD parts

$900 Australian to put a used telescopic front end onto it(plus LOTS of grief no doubt!)

Plan is "Later" I find and fix up the Springer parts again , buying them over time and bit by bit.

Flawed logic maybe , all because a new Indian migrant can't drive for **** !

What is wrong with the springer? Is it bent? To completely rebuild it for normal wear is less than $100 for aftermarket parts...would imagine HD parts would be about double that....don't know what the exchange rate is to get to $8300?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spring-Fork-...53.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Timken-C...JZR8G0&vxp=mtr

If you have to go to another front end till you can fix the springer...you would be better off with an older FL front end with a 3/4 axle, if you want to use your 18" stock wheel...because the wheel will bolt right on with the correct spacers...and you will need the wider fender too.

The springer risers will not work...and if you try to bolt on the springer handlebars... the knurled part of the bar will not line up with the risers on a "regular" front end.

If the springer is bent, and it is not real bad...they are pretty easy to straighten...I can send you some pics of how to do it.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 07-12-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:13 PM
gmeikle
Cruiser

Thanks harleydude , I had found that link , but not directly compatible with a 2008 ( I believe !)

Tom

"New" genuine HD Springer front ends are no longer available as a "built unit". they were until a couple of years ago , maybe 2012/3.

Now you have to get all the component parts (HUNDREDS) of them , and build them into a front end.

It's the "rear" black rigid main forks that show the obvious bend , the chrome "springer" forks may be OK , need to be stripped out and put on plate glass or whatever.

It will take 3 months plus to get the rigid "Diamond Black" forks , as they come in body colour dependent on the bikes' VIN ( CVO part you see !)

You can be sure HD don't have inventory sitting on the shelf already in colour (sorry "color") hence the delay thing , and that's best case scenario

The chrome "spring fork" is a 97 part number , so the same since 1996/7 and the same for all springer fronts no doubt up to 2010

Old 07-12-2017, 08:16 PM
gmeikle
Cruiser

Thanks guys for the replies

The Springer front on my 2008 CVO Springer is pushed back an inch. Long story short , Indian bird in a 5 series BMW stops dead from 30Km/H in a give way junction half a car length plus over the dotted line into a dual carriageway for no reason ( no cars coming in either lane FFsake!) and I tail end her.

My fault by default. Nobody in WA will/can "straighten" the bent Springer forks that I have found.

I had reckoned the "mechanicals and brakes" would be straightforward enough , thanks for the confirmation.

It is the wiring that may be the bugbear. What wring was the drama ? The headlight ? or was it the internally wired handlebars ?

I've bought the new bike take-off parts , and they look ok ,axle is there but not all the bits,bolts washers spacers etc etc are there.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:20 PM
gmeikle
Cruiser

Tom84FXST

yes mate , "how to" photos/instructions would be most appreciated indeed

I'll PM you my email address

Don't want more of them 'Indians" grabbing my publicly posted email

( That's the ones from the subcontinent , not your guys with the bows and arrows !)