Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I feel so bad for everyone who has never ridden a Springer.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 08:30 PM
musicnbikes
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
Default I feel so bad for everyone who has never ridden a Springer.

Best bikes Harley ever built, imo. :0)

The following users liked this post:
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER (10-30-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I totally agree my friend! I've pretty much forgotten about wanting an Ultra Classic since I bought my '98. I just want another springer now!

musicnbikes (10-08-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 08:42 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

They look gorgeous. Rode one. I'd like to keep my fillings and my kidneys right where they are, thanks.

J_E_D (10-14-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 09:15 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts

I have a genuine question about them. What kind of maintenance schedule do they require? What all is involved with the maintenance?

I have always liked the Springer Softail produced in the early 90’s that looked similar to a Softail Custom with a 16†rear wheel and 21†up front, but the Heritage Springer is also cool looking as well. Then again, I like just about any Harley in the 90’s.

I have also seen a couple of Heritage Springer’s with severe damage on the top portion of the fenders where they attach to the fork, apparently after hitting bad bumps or pot holes. I don’t know the details of what happened in those instances though. Any ideas about that?

Old 10-07-2017, 09:56 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
I have a genuine question about them. What kind of maintenance schedule do they require? What all is involved with the maintenance?

I have always liked the Springer Softail produced in the early 90 €™s that looked similar to a Softail Custom with a 16 € rear wheel and 21 € up front, but the Heritage Springer is also cool looking as well. Then again, I like just about any Harley in the 90 €™s.

I have also seen a couple of Heritage Springer €™s with severe damage on the top portion of the fenders where they attach to the fork, apparently after hitting bad bumps or pot holes. I don €™t know the details of what happened in those instances though. Any ideas about that?
Grease the steering neck. And any tool oil (3 in 1) in the rocker pivots. What I was told when the wife decided it was her next move.

Sometimes I ride behind her. Mostly she likes to follow. But when she is in fron and I follow her lines, her x bones is way steadier then my Slim. Rode the bike a few times. And it swallows pavement imperfection like a black hole.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:07 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,806 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Not as bad as some talk about Prot. Depends on the roads you ride mostly. I put all new bushings in my 96 BB when I bought it with 36 K on the clock and none showed signs of wear. The springs needed replacing though. Noticeable difference with those and a new shock. My wife's 04 FX has 28K on it and still rides great. Took it apart to check no wear marks in any of the bushings. Springs were all good. A couple hour job the first time if you have the tools. They say you need the HD spring tool but I made one for 10 bucks at Lowes.
If you wear bushings out you have to be riding some shitty roads or like getting air under the wheel.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:41 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

When I bought my Deluxe in '05 there was a Heritage Springer Classic right next to it... I still don't know what I was thinking....

Remember the Bad Boy? I almost bought one of those too in '97...I've missed a few chances. My Ironhead may eventually have one...might be my last hurrah.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:45 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Great for smooth roads. Poor braking performance if you like going fast and need to slow down quickly. Owners manual say to check them every 2,500 miles.

However I would not be without them. Have an 08 X Bones, 99 FXSTS and a 97 Heritage Springer. All all the best looking bikes out there.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:30 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Owners/service manual says to lube steering head bearings every 2,500 miles. No recommendation to check anything at that interval.

Fall away test is recommended every 5,000 miles in the service manual, but I don't think many find it necessary to do it that often so long as you are keeping the steering head bearings lubed. You'll get a feel for what the correct adjustment is and won't have to go through the entire process each time.

The most involved maintenance procedure is the rocker bearing adjustment every 10,000 miles. That requires removing the front wheel and fender, and a delicate touch to get the drag set right. The rebound spring adjustment is another point to keep an eye on, but every 10,000 miles should take care of that. It's a quick and easy check.

That's all there is to it. Fallaway, rocker drag, and rebound spring adjustment. Maintenance is not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. As for the FL front fender snagging on the brake reaction link bolt, this does not happen often and I think could be attributed to a worn out shock or otherwise out of adjustment front end.

The springer ride is super smooth and I've never been on one that rattled my teeth or made my kidneys hurt. Any pain caused to IdahoHacker's pearly whites was probably due to a hard mounted Evo rather than a springer front end. (Sissy )

Last edited by Cousy; 10-07-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:46 PM
jeepcj578
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I sold my 13 street glide back in June and picked up a 03 heritage springer and haven't looked back, to me they ride like a caddy.since I lowered the rear 1.5" I stiffened up the rear shocks for when wife's on back it's a little rougher but still not as bad as the street glide was. I will agree it does not stop as fast but I bought mine to cruise around on not drag race so was just something to get use too. The dents in the fenders I have heard about were from most of them being lowered in the front, it brings the lower acorn nut closer to the fender then hit a big bad bump, I hate to say it but I hit a big *** pothole 2 days ago and thought for sure I messed something up but still ridding straight.
Oh and the look awesome. I know I put this one in another thread but only one in my phone.

Thingfish (10-08-2017)

Quick Reply: I feel so bad for everyone who has never ridden a Springer.