Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Lockers

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 04:28 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Rocker Lockers

I've been considering these for a while now along with installing a new set of lifters in hopes of quieting the bike valve noise down. My bike was always pretty quiet, that is until the dealer replaced the rocker box gaskets. Now it sounds like crap and one lifter is clicking pretty bad. The dealer says thats normal,,,,right,,, and I believe in the Easter Bunny.

Anyone here ever tried them? They look almost too good to be true, but they look like they'll work..

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 10-21-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:43 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

They work well. But may not solve your problem depending on cams, springs, pushrods, lifters etc...

The following users liked this post:
Pitbull_Dallas (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 04:56 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

I hear you. Like I said my bike was nice and quiet before the dealer did the rocker box gaskets and now it sounds pretty bad. The problem should be reversable. I'm not sure what they could have done during reassembly to cause that, but I noticed it first thing when I picked up the bike. Since a lifter is clicking also, which is also the result of the work, I figure a new set wouldn't hurt anything. The bike has 70k on it anyway. And then I came across the rocker lockers. If I'm in that deep I might as well.

If anyone has any input on what the dealer did (wrong) to cause the valve Trane noise, I'd love to hear it..

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 10-21-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:01 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Man that's a "Night & Day" difference.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:26 PM
Deadof_knight
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Wink rockers lockers

Ive put one set in and have been pretty happy with a 15.00 fix and my time.
I have an 09 FXSTC and it seemed clicky too me at 9000 miles ..its definitely better ... so I have two more sets to put in on my sporty and fatboy ...

I tried resetting my pushrods to spec then tighter than spec all the same , new lifters no change so rocker lockers it was...

My sportster is like ...dealer says normal Im like my lawnmower is quieter than this thing is and it only has 5000 miles on it.... better now...

Pitbull_Dallas (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 08:37 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,401 Likes on 4,012 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas
I hear you. Like I said my bike was nice and quiet before the dealer did the rocker box gaskets and now it sounds pretty bad. The problem should be reversable. I'm not sure what they could have done during reassembly to cause that, but I noticed it first thing when I picked up the bike. Since a lifter is clicking also, which is also the result of the work, I figure a new set wouldn't hurt anything.

If anyone has any input on what the dealer did (wrong) to cause the valve Trane noise, I'd love to hear it..
The rocker box gasket replacement involves two gaskets and 12 bolts... There is nothing about replacing the gaskets, that can/will affect the valve train noise... not unless they dropped something in the rocker boxes when they were open...

Either something coincidentally happened when they had your bike (possible... but probable...?), or they touched something other than just the gaskets and 12 bolts....

Last edited by hattitude; 10-21-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:13 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by hattitude
The rocker box gasket replacement involves two gaskets and 12 bolts... There is nothing about replacing the gaskets, that can/will affect the valve train noise... not unless they dropped something in the rocker boxes when they were open...

Either something coincidentally happened when they had your bike (possible... but probable...?), or they touched something other than just the gaskets and 12 bolts....
Well, I tend to agree with you, but the head service guy made the comment more than once that if "we" wound up with valve Trane noise "we" have another problem. He was definetly worried about it for some reason. There's something there they are concerned about and I don't know what it is. I commented about this in an earlier thread before I had the work done. The only thing I can think is improper torquing or sequence, or putting parts back in different holes than they came out of. Parts wear in and don't necessarily like going back in a different hole.

I'm both a mechanic thats built hundreds of racing and stock motors as well as a mechanical engineer and that comment makes absolutely no sence to me. If they are well trained and understand what they're doing, this shouldn't be an issue.

And like I said it was good going into the shop and noisy when I got it back. I really wish someone on this forum had some insight into this "mystery" mechanics..

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 10-21-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:58 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I'm pulling the rocker covers when I change cams this winter, think I'll throw a set in while I have it apart. My bike is quiet right now but with a higher lift cam I may pick up some additional noise.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:56 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I have been running Rockouts for some time now.
A very worthwhile use of some time and 15 bucks. Will they eliminate all the bikes motor clatter.... Certainly not. But they do get rid of that one big annoying one that was bugging me.

ROCKOUT Rocker Products (10-21-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 05:43 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,401 Likes on 4,012 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas
Well, I tend to agree with you, but the head service guy made the comment more than once that if "we" wound up with valve Trane noise "we" have another problem. He was definetly worried about it for some reason. There's something there they are concerned about and I don't know what it is. I commented about this in an earlier thread before I had the work done. The only thing I can think is improper torquing or sequence, or putting parts back in different holes than they came out of. Parts wear in and don't necessarily like going back in a different hole.

I'm both a mechanic thats built hundreds of racing and stock motors as well as a mechanical engineer and that comment makes absolutely no sence to me. If they are well trained and understand what they're doing, this shouldn't be an issue.

And like I said it was good going into the shop and noisy when I got it back. I really wish someone on this forum had some insight into this "mystery" mechanics..

That makes no sense... the covers don't involve anything in the valve train....?!?

Maybe you misunderstood, or improperly explained what work they did?

Did they remove the the rocker covers? or the entire rocker box? That would involve removing the rocker box covers (top cover), rocker arm support w/ rocker arms and breather assemblies (the guts), and the rocker housing (bottom piece).....

If they removed all that, and can't put it back together without introducing valve train noise, that are a pretty poor excuse for a shop...!!!

However, if they removed the entire rocker boxes, they CAN mess up the valve train.... it's in the service manual...

When removing the rocker arm support, the rocker arms can be under pressure from the pushrods... you get that cylinder on the cam base circle (I wait/check to ensure the lifters have bled down and the pushrods can spin) then you loosen the bolts in a pattern, 1/4 turn at a time, to make sure not to warp/crack/tweak the rocker arm support from the pushrod pressure... If you remove it with a valve open or closed, there will be a lot of pressure on one side/corner of the rocker arm support and damage can result....

When you torque down the rocker arm support, you need to ensure the same thing as when you took them off.... cylinder lifters on base circle, tighten a 1/4 turn in a pattern until snug, then torque in the same pattern...

So if they removed & replaced more than just the covers, and they were careless, sloppy, stupid, or in a hurry... they could have damaged the rocker arm support... maybe even bent a pushrod...

I've never seen it done, or what the resulting rocker arm support damage looks like ...... but I'm not a full time tech that works on these bikes every day..

If you don't know how, I would take it to a reputable shop, and tell them what happened. Pay them to remove and inspect your rocker arms, rocker arm support, and pushrods... I'd have them document any damage they find, fix it, and then I'd go after the lame shop for damages....

I certainly wouldn't let the same shop touch my bike again......

FYI..... http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....0W/%20PUSHRODS

Good luck..

Last edited by hattitude; 10-22-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Rocker Lockers