Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone with a 18 Softail looking for oil transfer

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 08:01 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Is anyone with a 18 Softail looking for oil transfer

Some of the 17 and 18 Turing bikes are having trouble with transmission oil transferring in to the primary. They have a service bulletin #TA0022 that tells about it. Looks like it's only on hydraulic clutch models, most of them with the M8. All you have to do is check the transmission oil every 1000 miles to be sure the oil isn't disappearing in to the primary. I don't think the new Softails will do it with a cable.
If you guys could take the time to watch for it that would be awesome, and if your transmission stays full your good to go. Thanks.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:03 PM
MrNovember80
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

114 Fat Boy here, only has a little over 600 miles (I know, haven't been enjoying it much). So far no issues, doubt I will hit over 1000 miles before letting it hibernate for winter. But surely will monitor it and hope others are too.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (06-28-2018)
Old 10-30-2017, 08:46 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,154 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
Some of the 17 and 18 Turing bikes are having trouble with transmission oil transferring in to the primary. They have a service bulletin #TA0022 that tells about it. Looks like it's only on hydraulic clutch models, most of them with the M8. All you have to do is check the transmission oil every 1000 miles to be sure the oil isn't disappearing in to the primary. I don't think the new Softails will do it with a cable.
If you guys could take the time to watch for it that would be awesome, and if your transmission stays full your good to go. Thanks.
Imagine many, if not most, don't check their transmission fluids often, if at all. Suspect this will tend to help keep the problem hidden if it exist on the Softails. Theory has it that Softails may have dodged this bullet due to cable clutch, but may not know for sure for a while. Some might not become aware - if the Softails prove to be susceptible - until their tranny starts speaking up.

GPHDXLC (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 02:25 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

I have't noticed anything yet. Honestly, I'm much more concerned with the possibility of sumping.

GPHDXLC (06-28-2018)
Old 10-31-2017, 08:25 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Zero issue with mine. Have checked it several times. I'm at the point of not worrying about it. I have also designed my own sumping test that involves checking the oil level hot after running it normally and then at higher rpms. Let it idle upright for 45 seconds per the service bulletin. Oil level on dipstick was in the exact same place. Easier than removing crank position sensor and even 3-4 oz will make a difference you can see on the dipstick. If it measures the same on the dipstick seems logical to me you are ok.

Last edited by martin10; 10-31-2017 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Wording
The following 2 users liked this post by martin10:
GPHDXLC (06-28-2018), Thingfish (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 08:53 AM
MrNovember80
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
I have't noticed anything yet. Honestly, I'm much more concerned with the possibility of sumping.
These better not have any issues as their Touring brethren. I'll burn this $h!t to the ground (well, you get my point). As with any technology, I understand first year issues and usually I wait for second versions of anything. But for HD not to learn and take care of issues from 2017 models is not acceptable. Guess I'm just bitter and feel for those dealing with the BS for so long now.

Until then, I'm gonna ride the Fatty like I stole it!!!... and check the fluids every now and then

Old 10-31-2017, 09:00 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by MrNovember80
These better not have any issues as their Touring brethren. I'll burn this $h!t to the ground (well, you get my point). As with any technology, I understand first year issues and usually I wait for second versions of anything. But for HD not to learn and take care of issues from 2017 models is not acceptable. Guess I'm just bitter and feel for those dealing with the BS for so long now.

Until then, I'm gonna ride the Fatty like I stole it!!!... and check the fluids every now and then
Yup, I feel the same and following your same plan exactly. We want to enjoy our bikes, not wait for possible problems. Ride on!

Old 10-31-2017, 09:21 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

I knew there was a potential for issues. But I felt fairly confident about the sumping issue when I found out the 18's had the 3rd version of the oil pump. And since our bikes don't have the hydraulic clutch I felt fairly confident about the trans fluid transfer. I am lucky in that my service manager is not only a smart guy, he is extremely honest. He always knows about the issues before I even ask and he is upfront about their findings. Yes, they have seen the trans fluid transfer and have started checking for it when doing service. Many dealerships probably dont bother. He knew about the sumping issue. So far they have not seen any. They have not had to replace any engines. They sell a lot of bikes. So given how few issues they have seen it gave me confidence that the odds were in my favor. No guarantees on anything mechanical. I sometimes think you would be far happier with your bike if you never read any internet forums. Heck, there have been people who got rid of their bike and didnt even have problems. The fear of potential issues freaked them out so bad they gave up on it. That is just crazy.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:39 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Thanks guys, I to hope with the cable clutch the 18 Softails won't do it. I test drove a 114" Heritage and I could back it up a lot easier then my 14 King, mine has a cable clutch and no problem with transfer at 40,000 miles.
I'm thinking of switching to a Heritage when the 19s come out, so I'm keeping a close eye out for the transfer problem on the 18 Softails. Best of luck to all of you.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:37 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,410 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
I sometimes think you would be far happier with your bike if you never read any internet forums. Heck, there have been people who got rid of their bike and didnt even have problems. The fear of potential issues freaked them out so bad they gave up on it. That is just crazy.
I have to respectfully disagree....

The only challenge with the internet is separating the truth form the BS......

But when a problem such as the transfer & the sumping is proven to exist, knowledge is power....

Power to weigh the odds, the stakes and make the best decision for your personal situation....

As far as dumping a potential problem before it occurs, that's a personal choice...

Given that the MoCo is apparently choosing to handle this problem by changing the rules and ignoring those who are affected.... I don't blame them...

I will never believe it is better to go into any decision, blind to the facts, just so you will feel better about your decision...

That's where the old saying, "Ignorance is bliss" came from...

GPHDXLC (10-31-2017)

Quick Reply: Is anyone with a 18 Softail looking for oil transfer