Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished installing 14” wild onz bars

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 12:53 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts
Talking Finished installing 14” wild onz bars

Well I’m all done, it didn’t go perfectly but it looks great and are comfortable. I think the biggest pita was the molex connectors. Pin broke off removing them and I just generally had a hard time getting the pins out/getting the molex connector together again correctly. It’s like anything else, once you figure it out it’s easy..but until that time I sit there fighting with it. Had to extend the harness, pull the wires past a sharp bend in bars..all of it. I am here to tell you if your wondering out there you can do this install! The trick is patience. Do not get in a hurry. Now that I’ve figured it out I could do another one in 1/10th of the time. And no you don’t have to remove the tank. And no I wouldn’t trust the NAMZ extensions without soldering them (learn how to solder, it’s easy) Harley wanted $1200 and the 3 shops around here turned down the job. I’m glad I did it myself. **** them all I learned a lot about my bike.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Last edited by saltlick; 11-18-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:20 PM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

There is nothing wrong with the Namz products. Used them plenty myself. Good on you for doing the work yourself. Can't believe a shop would turn down money like that. WTF, so they only specialize in oil changes? Or, let me guess, the Power Colander.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:47 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
There is nothing wrong with the Namz products. Used them plenty myself. Good on you for doing the work yourself. Can't believe a shop would turn down money like that. WTF, so they only specialize in oil changes? Or, let me guess, the Power Colander.

One place said it’s too much of a pita to run the wires internally, they’d only do it externally. One place quoted me $400, then later said no it’s too much of a pain, other place wouldn’t answer my emails or phone messages so I took that as a No. That’s what spurred me on to diy

Old 11-18-2017, 03:54 PM
reynoldss
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks good . Good looking bike. And good for you. I think the more you learn about your bike the better off you are.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:28 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Good on ya! Looks pretty sharp. I've been a fan of Wild1's products for a long time now but I don't keep up with new stuff much. Haven't seen a set with that hard angle at the bottom before. Are the uppers still as wide set? That's one of the reasons I love 'em so. I'm a small guy but the spread on those grips is so comfortable for me.

I picked up a set of knock-offs after my last bike total / rebuild and the knock-offs didn't last worth a damn. Cracked out all around the center access hole for the wires after barely a year of fairly mellow riding. I was told they were Wild1's when I bought 'em used... off Craigslist, of course. The interesting thing was... I had bought a set in the past, so when I contacted them for warranty replacement, they didn't even question me. Just sent out the replacements and asked me to ship back the old set in the same box. When we both realized that I'd been scammed, they were totally cool about it and I approved the CC charge immediately.

Point being... they stood up behind the product over a decade later and shipped 'em out with a quickness based on my word and my name showing up as a previous purchaser. I was getting ready to head out to Sturgis 2015 when I noticed the cracks in the old (knock-off) set, so I was exceptionally happy they got me the replacements out so quick and hassle free. I did give them a new CC number, until they could receive, inspect and verify the problem set. I'd happily buy from them again and recommend them every chance I get.

A few pics of the knock-offs vs. the Wild1 Inc. replacements.
knock-offs:

knock-offs cracked:

replacements from Wild1's:

knock-off, top / Wild1's, bottom:

(I can remove the pics, if the OP considers this input unwelcome but again, these are my own pics... so regardless of any potential watermarks, please MODS... leave 'em alone.)

oh yea... pro-tip I got years ago. Not so much for OP as future readers but, running a string line through the bars is much easier and faster if you have an air compressor to blow the electric lines pull-string through the bars.

Last edited by BikerPepe`; 11-18-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:05 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior

Sweet,free bars.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:13 PM
RoadTrippin'
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great. Nice work. You can appreciate them more, being that you did the work. Now all your buddies are gonna want you to do theirs. LOL

The following users liked this post:
saltlick (11-18-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 08:30 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

That looks Awesome Saltlick. Although I am no fan of Apes, Seeing that you were able to do it yourself is the best part. I always try to do the work myself whenever possible. I am always looking to learn. I did the wiring on my bars also and the head tech at the local H-D shop was very impressed with my work. It feels good to accomplish something like that on your own!

Congrats on a job well done!

The following users liked this post:
saltlick (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 02:33 PM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Nice bars and effort. Congratz!