Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Writer buying 2018 Softail

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 02:25 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts
Default Service Writer buying 2018 Softail

Couple of sales guys at my dealer are buying '18s...including the service writer of several years (Glendale Harley open since 1976). He's looking at the Heritage in the Anniversary paint.

Doesn't prove anything concrete, but I take it as a good sign as they are the #2 dealer in CA...lots of sales and service for many years so the writer MUST be happy with what he's seeing regarding service related issues on the new motor.

The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 03:00 PM
kb_jag
Tourer
Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

right on fish !

Old 12-31-2017, 03:00 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,615 Likes on 5,177 Posts

Everyone that works at local HD dealer rides a Harley. Has been going on long before 2018. The service wright for BMW has a new SG and older BMW.
I would not read to much into it other than the like the bike

Old 12-31-2017, 04:04 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,154 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Couple of sales guys at my dealer are buying '18s...including the service writer of several years (Glendale Harley open since 1976). He's looking at the Heritage in the Anniversary paint.

Doesn't prove anything concrete, but I take it as a good sign as they are the #2 dealer in CA...lots of sales and service for many years so the writer MUST be happy with what he's seeing regarding service related issues on the new motor.
Don't know about any of that...

But... as coincidences would have it... I am wearing my Glendale HD T-shirt as I write this.

Old 12-31-2017, 04:17 PM
John Kyle
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

I work for a Buick GMC Mazda dealer... I own a Mazda, there's a reason I don't own the others! Salesmen will usually buy new stuff no matter what, mainly because they have no clue about mechanical things but once you see service spending their money it is usually a good sign. I have a pretty good relationship with most of my service customers as i have been the only Mazda tech for approx. 8 years (and they sell like crazy) and I always tell them my wife drives a brand new one. (Right now literally, got rid of her 16 and got her an 18 for christmas.)

Last edited by John Kyle; 12-31-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Thingfish (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 06:05 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by smitty901
Everyone that works at local HD dealer rides a Harley. Has been going on long before 2018. The service wright for BMW has a new SG and older BMW.
I would not read to much into it other than the like the bike
I know it's common, but what makes the '18 different are all of our discussions about potential issues with the new motor. Having a service writer but one I see as a vote of confidence...however slight it might be.

Originally Posted by T^2
Don't know about any of that...

But... as coincidences would have it... I am wearing my Glendale HD T-shirt as I write this.
PM me next time in town and I'll buy you a beer!

Originally Posted by kb_jag
right on fish !
Yeah baby!!

Originally Posted by John Kyle
I work for a Buick GMC Mazda dealer... I own a Mazda, there's a reason I don't own the others! Salesmen will usually buy new stuff no matter what, mainly because they have no clue about mechanical things but once you see service spending their money it is usually a good sign. I have a pretty good relationship with most of my service customers as i have been the only Mazda tech for approx. 8 years (and they sell like crazy) and I always tell them my wife drives a brand new one. (Right now literally, got rid of her 16 and got her an 18 for christmas.)
Well said! Exactly my thinking. It was a nice bonus to my day yesterday.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:32 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

My view is, maybe they're buying them because they have an in at the dealer and don't have to worry about repairs; theirs will always be 1st and will never be denied a warranty claim.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:49 PM
BigRed117
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish

Hey, if they trust the M8 who are we to complain. I know the dealership owners son-in- law traded in his 14 ultra for an 18 RK.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:56 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigRed117
Hey, if they trust the M8 who are we to complain. I know the dealership owners son-in- law traded in his 14 ultra for an 18 RK.
That's how I'm looking at it. Nice news for us early adopters.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:00 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
My view is, maybe they're buying them because they have an in at the dealer and don't have to worry about repairs; theirs will always be 1st and will never be denied a warranty claim.
Repairs and warranty haven't been a concern it seems for a majority of owners either. I was more concerned with an unsolvable Achilles heal, but I take this as a nice sign that the service writer has enough confidence overall to plunk his own money down. Obviously there are some issues lurking, and it seems some genuine issues with HD QC, but if these bikes were truly doomed off the line he would not have bought one.

Campy Roadie (01-02-2018)

Quick Reply: Service Writer buying 2018 Softail