Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** need help on 34T tranny pulley swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 12:04 PM
Torky_SOB
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,826 Likes on 3,042 Posts
Default ** need help on 34T tranny pulley swap

OK did pulley swap and all seems good EXCEPT I have gear whine when down shifting from 3rd to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st. Went back in and checked primary chain 1st = all good there, went on to belt checked =all good there.Looked over belt no marring ,belt = all good as well. Brought it over to indi friend , who went thru it as well ,nothing out of order all TQ specs closely adhered to. Bike runs excellent as I also dialed in Mikuni 42 with J.Minton kit ( my carb a bit out of sync)

Cant figure it out unless its due to a larger pulley and reciprocal mass. No heat coming from any where that isnt normal,Was wondering what it could be other than the pulley on the belt ,maybe pulley teeth a bit newer making noise? Anyone find something similar? Or any suggestions as to what it may be?

The sound is very similar to 1st gear whine on 6 speed bagger that indie has and even remarked sounds a lot like it.What more can we do? 3x worked checked (lotta fun doing inner primary 3x) , but wanted to make sure .

Bike is '02 Deuce, figured belt was too tight and maybe rubbing but no sign and checked adjustment on belt,...primary chain adjusted cold between 5/8-7/8 and perfect. WTF?? All work done by the manual ,Im at a loss and wondering if its anything to fret about or nature of the beast due to larger pulley?.I am confused , whine wasnt there before pulley swap!!Bike runs outstanding everything feels good.Nothing binding.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:32 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

Did you use an OE pulley or aftermarket?

It's poss the belt needs to wear in to the grooves
of the new pulley?

Check the sides (both sides) of the belt for wear marks
just in case the alignment of the new pulley isn't perfect.

Never heard of this happening.
If something was rubbing, like on the inr primary or belt
guard etc, it would make noise
all the time.

The following users liked this post:
Torky_SOB (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 07:11 PM
Torky_SOB
Grand HDF Member

Yeah checked belt both sides nothing.I used an Andrews pulley. I was thinking teeth on pulley as well. Also I was wondering since the size of the pulley was a larger than the stock pulley and was heavier , wondering if it was just a bit more mass for the trannys 2 larger gears (1st & 2nd in weight /size) may feel feel the added extra weight of the pulley causing a load on them? it doesnt seem to effect performance with it YET but I was thinking maybe down the road (read sooner than later) something is gonna give like a bearing Im thinking. Im gonna keep my ears on it and see as I ride it if it begins to diminish as hopefully its the teeth on the pulley. I was wondering if any other riders who did a 34 T pulley swap on a softail experienced any thing like it . Bike runs real strong, put 250miles on it since the swap, so I have to get out on it and spin miles ,if it doesnt have an issue before hand. Hmmm has me frustrated to say the least but im at a dead end,work has been checked over & over,nothing out of place .

Old 05-01-2018, 11:30 AM
Torky_SOB
Grand HDF Member

UPDATE #2 Hooray!! found the problem bike has Airtail air ride from Progressive.Of course I have the wheel stuffed in the fender and read maybe belt is rubbing as it did with other lowered rear suspension bikes. Most had lowering links so some said they re adjusted them and some had to **** can em and go back to stock rear ride height.I went out to garage and readjusted my air ride and went for a ride and whine completely gone. No marks on belt what so ever, mind yu belt is 16 yrs old in perfect shape (teeth) and has 40k on it it, but no visible marking that would indicate rubbing . Time to go and ride the MF'er and spend the day out on the road with out the whine but a cold beer will be my 1st order after a 100 mile blast !!

Last edited by Torky_SOB; 05-01-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:56 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Hopefullu it’s nothing other than what I noticed when I did my 16/30 swap
Mine made that whine for about 8k mi
Nothing I could ever figure out, but it eventually stopped doing it

Old 05-01-2018, 01:36 PM
Torky_SOB
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Hopefullu it’s nothing other than what I noticed when I did my 16/30 swap
Mine made that whine for about 8k mi
Nothing I could ever figure out, but it eventually stopped doing it
If I kept riding it ,it would have shaved the outside ridges on the belt down where there would be nothing left to rub ,which now looking over would have worked ,but it was driving me f*ing nuts so I kept looking for answers and then I found some who did witness it and said it was because of lowered ride height and dropping the *** 1 or 2 "inches made it the culprit.

So I pumped up the ride height about an inch and it went a way. There were no visible signs on belt for me to detect that this was where the problem was at.

All good now, no more fear of smoking mainshaft bearing from something being too tight.I thought that was where my problem was originally. Either belt or primary chain too tight or incorrect TQ values on work.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:14 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

So, the plot thickens, she's lowered (Less clearance)

RIGHT ON!!! Score One for the team !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Torky_Sob
If I kept riding it ,it would have shaved the outside ridges on the belt down where there would be nothing left to rub ,which now looking over would have worked ,but it was driving me f*ing nuts so I kept looking for answers and then I found some who did witness it and said it was because of lowered ride height and dropping the *** 1 or 2 "inches made it the culprit.

So I pumped up the ride height about an inch and it went a way. There were no visible signs on belt for me to detect that this was where the problem was at.

All good now, no more fear of smoking mainshaft bearing from something being too tight.I thought that was where my problem was originally. Either belt or primary chain too tight or incorrect TQ values on work.

The following users liked this post:
Torky_SOB (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 06:12 AM
Torky_SOB
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
So, the plot thickens, she's lowered (Less clearance)

RIGHT ON!!! Score One for the team !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I also found I can have a decent lowered seat height.I kept adjusting until I found a sweet spot for the look and the function.

All good and the pulley swap is one of the best mods done along w/the Joe Minton carb kit set up. I did notice mileage is now off and if any do remember what the deviation is on the speedo is it 5% or 6%.

I thought it might have been a 5% deviation so if I went 150 miles +5% = 157.5 miles. I am 34T trans pulley + 70 T rear pulley I also have kept the primary 25/36 sprockets stock