Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 breakout 114 problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 04:02 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,173 Likes on 730 Posts

Just as an additional note. Per the warranty text...

These modifications may void all or parts of your new motorcycle limited warranty.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:26 PM
jhblaze1
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Just as an additional note. Per the warranty text...
operative word being "may".

Old 05-02-2018, 08:11 PM
sectime
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
You can flash the bike back to stock, disconnect the FP3 then take it into the dealer for warranty.
That no longer works. Every flash is stored in a location in ecm that isn’t erased. Any vehicle covered under emission warranties have this as a requirement.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:45 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

LOL after reading some of this thread it again reminds me of why HD is losing most of its customers...Unfortunately a large part of the ridership are complete morons.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:55 AM
TrqUSMC
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I wish there was a resolution on here from the OP. I love it when somebody posts for the first time with complaints and problems but doesn't check back or update anyone.

The following users liked this post:
bmedeiros678 (10-29-2021)
Old 06-26-2018, 04:13 PM
Another Old Timer
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Probably because he found that his warranty was cancelled and he is out some serious coin.

If HD is caught warranting a bike that has been re flashed with a non HD tuner and/or removed the Cat, HD is subject to a Big Time fine.

I think that the OP has been Fornicated..........Big Time.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:51 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Another Old Timer
Probably because he found that his warranty was cancelled and he is out some serious coin.

If HD is caught warranting a bike that has been re flashed with a non HD tuner and/or removed the Cat, HD is subject to a Big Time fine.

I think that the OP has been Fornicated..........Big Time.
Ya know, I just read that whole dam EPA - HD clean air act violation court case document (what a boring *** read) - But,...... below is basically the settlement *****ction & I did not read in that "LEGAL" excerpt anything stating that HD - must, will or has to void any warranty pertaining to any tuner that they did not install, yes it states the EPA mandate that no user shall modify in any way...blah,blah blah the emission control system on any vehicle, it says the MoCo must report tuner equipped motorcycles to the EPA for purposes of assuring that the bike remains compliant.

so technically even if you had a tuner on your bike that violated the EPA clean air act - if it was removed & the bike made compliant again = No issue, Now I might have missed a word or 10 in that bore me into a coma of a read but if any one has the section that specifically states that HD must void the warranty on a tuner installed Motorcycle please present that section of literature. ultimately I would think HD can in their own right void the warranty - it has nothing to do with the EPA settlement as was mentioned here!!!!

Its the MoCo enforcing their rule if they want!

Under the settlement, Harley-Davidson:
  • will immediately stop selling the tuners, buy back all of the tuners in stock at their dealerships and destroy the tuners.
  • obtain certification from the California Air Resources Board for any tuners it sells in the future. These certifications will demonstrate that new tuners do not cause their motorcycles to exceed their certified emissions limits.
  • will conduct tests on tuner-equipped motorcycles and provide the results to EPA to guarantee that their motorcycles remain in compliance with EPA certification requirements for emissions.
  • will also ensure that all of its future motorcycle models intended for sale in the United States are fully certified by EPA.

Old 05-06-2024, 12:09 AM
M.W
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M8's & warranty issues

Originally Posted by not_so_newb
subscribed to see if this gets covered or disallowed .
early m8 quality control was "poor" to say the least. I've tore 3 early m8's apart and found aluminum shards in the cam chest which caused oiling oilinglike plugged piston oilers, plugged oil passages in the cam plate, etc. Sumping issues were common, which were mostly caused by excessive crank run out right from the factory. Harleys original spec (I believe) was 6 thousands of an inch *.006). As warranty claims increased, Harleys increased thier factory crank run out spec to 12 thou to pay out less warranty claims. Excessive crank run out cause a tremendous amount of fu$%ery in oiling both bottom & top end, the cam chest, as well as the primary, clutch, and in extreme cases, input shaft/bearing problems with the transmission.... now, on to warranty. A few hrs using Google, or a couple hundred $$'s with a lawyer will verify what I say here. A: no company has to offer warranty.B: If they do... by law, they have to honor it.C: HERE'S THE IMPORTANT PART as it pertains to mods we do to our bike. The warranty laws say that mods to our bikes DO NOT void warranty UNLESS the mod caused the failure, and B- the dealer HAS to prove it did before they can deny warranty claims. Did the tuner over fuel the engine, washing the oil out of the cylinders causing ring failure, or engine seizure? If Harley proves yes, then they can legally deny warranty for that particular repair. BUT they HAVE TO prove the tune was too rich, before doing so. If your tune maintained 13.8 to the emissions required 14.5:1, then they can't. The same with big bore kits by the dealer. I have a 117 & Harley will warrant thier instal WITHOUT doing a left bearing conversion , trueinf the crank., or a rod upgrade. .. the point is, if they can increase an M8's hp by 25 hp with stock bottom end AND warrant it, so can we, as long as tge tune us goid, and we don't exceed the same 25 hp (just like the dealer), they can't void warranty. Hope this helps all y'all all.