Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Heritage brake system?

Old 06-30-2018, 02:07 AM
bailer
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2018 Heritage brake system?

I have a question regarding my ‘18 FLHCS brake system.
I understand that I have the ABS system on the front and rear brakes.... I purposefully tested the front on wet pavement and am comfortable with the system.

But.... per the dealership sales staff I understood the brakes are also linked, and was told linked regardless of front lever or rear pedal actuation. I thought I would read up on the system in the manual but unless I missed it, now think maybe the softails aren’t linked, rather only the touring chassis.

... so what is the story? ABS linked or ABS only.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:04 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Not linked!

Old 06-30-2018, 05:57 AM
bailer
Advanced

Thanks for the info..... and wow that is some misinformation from the sales staff. I guess that’s why we are supposed to read the owner’s manual!!

I do find the brakes very strong and progressive. I use the front brake almost exclusively as with all my bikes, adding some rear brake only in situations when I need to stop quicker than first expected.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:31 AM
Flstcjay
Tourer
Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Touring models have linked braking systems. So, I’m not going to tell you how to ride, it’s none of my business and you didn’t ask. But if my kid told me he only used the front brake, I’d knock him upside the head before he killed himself. That’s a great way to find yourself laying in the path of oncoming traffic.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:43 AM
bailer
Advanced

Yeah I’ve noticed the cruiser segment focuses a lot more on the rear brake? I have even had one buddy tell me he uses exclusively rear brake!

I’ve raced mountain, dirt and sport bikes for close to 40 years and the front brake is my friend. I bet you would really disapprove of me trail braking the front into the apex!

Old 06-30-2018, 06:56 AM
FLSTC-Dave
Road Captain
Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Flstcjay
Touring models have linked braking systems. So, I’m not going to tell you how to ride, it’s none of my business and you didn’t ask. But if my kid told me he only used the front brake, I’d knock him upside the head before he killed himself. That’s a great way to find yourself laying in the path of oncoming traffic.
Very well said man

Old 06-30-2018, 07:05 AM
bailer
Advanced

Originally Posted by FLSTC-Dave
Very well said man
Yup I agree the physics are different with a long wheelbase bike with more weight over the back, but the front brake is still my go to, with adding in back for heavier braking situations.

The following users liked this post:
Chonk (07-03-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 07:29 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,339 Likes on 2,199 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, when I got my RGU with linked brakes, I received a DVD on brake correct usage for linked brakes.. Regardless, there's plenty of professional instruction videos on correct braking (I watched Motorman Jerry). The dealer info supplied was off as do not believe my 18FB has linked brakes.....

Last edited by uncle kebo; 06-30-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:43 AM
bailer
Advanced

Pardon me for hijacking my own thread but I found this interesting.....

Here is a link to a good and comprehensive study on emergency braking situations.
https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/ef...treet-survival

The part that surprised me is their stopping distances and results were almost as good for cruisers as sport bikes.

Using both brakes yielded a mean G force of .776 g
Front brake only almost as high at .711 g
Back brake only could only achieve .425 g

So, I guess what I take from this is if the back brake is your go to, ie first applied, this is “best practice”, but you must be prepared to almost simultaneously add in front brake to achieve acceptable stopping distances.

I have always used front brake first and added rear to settle the back in very aggressive braking. Exceptions being of course off road bikes where you are intentionally sliding the rear.

Last edited by bailer; 06-30-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:11 AM
FLSTC-Dave
Road Captain
Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by bailer
Pardon me for hijacking my own thread but I found this interesting.....

Here is a link to a good and comprehensive study on emergency braking situations.
https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/ef...treet-survival

The part that surprised me is their stopping distances and results were almost as good for cruisers as sport bikes.

Using both brakes yielded a mean G force of .776 g
Front brake only almost as high at .711 g
Back brake only could only achieve .425 g

So, I guess what I take from this is if the back brake is your go to, ie first applied, this is “best practice”, but you must be prepared to almost simultaneously add in front brake to achieve acceptable stopping distances.

I have always used front brake first and added rear to settle the back in very aggressive braking. Exceptions being of course off road bikes where you are intentionally sliding the rear.
No hijack here. And no question about the percentage of front to rear stopping power. I just think it's a very bad habit of grabbing front brake lever in normal braking situations (lights, stop signs, 2-up ect) because it's the first thing you'll do in a panic. Habits are a very difficult thing to change. I've left flopped my Softail a few times onto the engine guard in parking lots with too much front brake

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Heritage brake system?