Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer Fogging repair?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 04:27 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Why not just turn the glass around?

Old 07-17-2018, 04:43 PM
gdishman
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It has a coating on the glasst that discolors. Just take a razor blade scape it off (very easily done)

Old 07-18-2018, 10:45 AM
AV8BDriver
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't want to disassemble anything. The bike is under warranty and I feel that the dealer should take care of it under warranty. Lately, I haven't had an issue as the glass has been clear, but occasionally, it is a bit fogged depending on the humidity and direct sunlight.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:49 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Seems to be a lot of threads on this problem at the moment, think Harley speedos have suffered with this problem for years. I occasionally get it on my Nightrain, but only where the millage shows at the bottom, and so far no staining, has as been said its no doubt down to condensation, got to be a bummer on the new bikes with the small rectangle shape speedo's though, the whole thing is probably unreadable if you get moisture inside it.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:27 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by gdishman
I had a 2008 Nightster that had the same problem. I removed the speedo and carefully removed the speedo glass bezel and glass. Took a razor blade and remove the coating from the inside of the glass. I Carefully put speedo back together and never had that issue again. The only draw back is the black coating on the stainless steel bezel that holds the glass on peeled off.
You're the first to actually confirm that what the Speedo guy said is true. He said he warrants the repair. Cant go wrong with that. What I don't understand is why Harley continues to have the speedos made with the supposed anti fog coating when 1.) It has the opposite affect and 2.) its got to be more expensive than having a speedo made without the coating. Crazy! Thanks for you response! Much appreciated....

Last edited by Rickr01; 07-18-2018 at 02:56 PM. Reason: add a point
Old 07-31-2018, 11:19 PM
Helene VerValin Sillen
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2018 Heritage Softail Classic was having serious fogging to the point of appearing to rain inside the speedo yet bike has never been in the rain, I reported it to my dealer they changed it out under warranty 2 weeks ago Monday and the new one from Harley is doing the same thing. I reported it sent photo to my dealership they sent it to Harley and got the response that if it dissipated over time when bike sits then they will not warranty it again??? Really cause it is doing exactly the same **** the first one was doing and the glass is clearly stained underneath from the water, I am making my payments on this 20,000.$+ gorgeous bike and you refuse to fix the problem once and for all. Just want the quality from HARLEY THAT IM PAYING FOR OR DO I HAVE TO SELL IT AND BUY A JAPANESE BIKE?? Sorry Rant over. Anyone else having this issue?? If so are you getting the same run around. I can't go for a ride longer than 40 minutes no matter what the weather without it happening and you can't read your RPM's Fuel level or anything in the lower half of the speedo>

Old 08-01-2018, 04:50 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Helene VerValin Sillen
My 2018 Heritage Softail Classic was having serious fogging to the point of appearing to rain inside the speedo yet bike has never been in the rain, I reported it to my dealer they changed it out under warranty 2 weeks ago Monday and the new one from Harley is doing the same thing. I reported it sent photo to my dealership they sent it to Harley and got the response that if it dissipated over time when bike sits then they will not warranty it again??? Really cause it is doing exactly the same **** the first one was doing and the glass is clearly stained underneath from the water, I am making my payments on this 20,000.$+ gorgeous bike and you refuse to fix the problem once and for all. Just want the quality from HARLEY THAT IM PAYING FOR OR DO I HAVE TO SELL IT AND BUY A JAPANESE BIKE?? Sorry Rant over. Anyone else having this issue?? If so are you getting the same run around. I can't go for a ride longer than 40 minutes no matter what the weather without it happening and you can't read your RPM's Fuel level or anything in the lower half of the speedo>
Please check 2018 Speedometer Condensation? Post 41

Frank

Last edited by FrankEV; 08-01-2018 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:18 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

My softails always had the condensation issue especially during high humidity. I replaced the gauges this past year on my two softails with the new analog tach/speedo gauge and now have developed what appears to be “glue” streaks on the glass this summer after a bit of time in the sun. It’s definately not water condensation. The drops of “glue” just work there way down the glass causing a mess. Grrrrr! The new analog/tach gauge is an awesome accessory but this problem sucks.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:22 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

And what really sucks about it is if the moco can say we won't fix it a second or third time, or whatever it takes while the bike is still under warranty. That's like us saying we're gonna deduct money owed off the bike because we just don't think we should have to live up to our contract to buy.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:05 PM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing. My guess is they are all doing it to a certain extent. Going to wait awhile before having it addressed under warranty based on what another poster said.

Quick Reply: Speedometer Fogging repair?