Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Speedometer Condensation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 03:12 PM
gaugeforever
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2018 Speedometer Condensation?

2018 Softail Slim

This just happened the other day? It wasn't any warmer out then when I purchased the bike. I bought it in early April so it's not like it was cold. I've owned several bikes through winters and rains and this is the first one I've owned to have that any (let alone that much) condensation in the gauges/dials.....

Is this a warranty issue? Are they not sealed? The issue for me is it's a lot of condensation and it's right where the information display is, so I can't see my RPM or gear indicator when the sun is at the right angle, it's hard to read even when it's not. On top of having to look down, now I have to put my head way down there to read it heh.

This is my first Harley, and paid a ton of money for it, and having a speedometer not be sealed would kind of irk me, considering my S1KR costed less, and hasn't had a single issue since owning it for a few years. That bike doesn't even drain battery in the winter, it's kind of nuts. I guess I'm not opposed to fixing this myself if you guys have any recommendations for how? I suppose if I can get dry enough air in it and clean t up, I can seal it with silicone or something? It hasn't gone away fully since being there a few days ago when my wife and I went on a ride.

Last edited by gaugeforever; 06-12-2018 at 03:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
duckf5 (01-22-2022)
Old 06-12-2018, 03:28 PM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

I've noticed a very slight amount of condensation on my speedo right where the LCD display line is. I would think if yours is very bad that it should be a warranty issue.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:30 PM
MrNovember80
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

It's a Harley, its normal
Seriously, this crap just happened on my 18' 114 FB this past weekend as I went from warmer temps near my home to cooler lakeside temps.

Came here to the forum and found a few threads on this "issue" and it seems that some had it replaced under warranty and some were told it will happen again no matter what. I understand that 1st year bikes will have their "bugs" to deal with, but to see that this is not just happening to new bikes but past years models and on $15,000+ motorcycles is embarrassing.

I know, I know, if I don't like it I better go back to my reliable Jap bike
HD I love you but, C'mon Man!!

Old 06-12-2018, 03:30 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Mine used to do that until I started covering it with a baggie secured with a rubber band whenever I wash it.
Same with the tank fuel gauge. Hasn't happened since.

duckf5 (01-22-2022)
Old 06-12-2018, 03:38 PM
gaugeforever
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MrNovember80
It's a Harley, its normal
Seriously, this crap just happened on my 18' 114 FB this past weekend as I went from warmer temps near my home to cooler lakeside temps.

Came here to the forum and found a few threads on this "issue" and it seems that some had it replaced under warranty and some were told it will happen again no matter what. I understand that 1st year bikes will have their "bugs" to deal with, but to see that this is not just happening to new bikes but past years models and on $15,000+ motorcycles is embarrassing.

I know, I know, if I don't like it I better go back to my reliable Jap bike
HD I love you but, C'mon Man!!
This is mainly why I'm so upset about it. In the end it's not a HUGE issue, it's just so stupid I shouldn't have to have this happen on a bike that cost me over 18 grand OTD after taxes and everything... When I can go buy a Japanese cruiser for FARRRRRR less and I can guarantee you this wouldn't happen. I've not been a harley guy, in fact I was a hater. I test rode the M8 and I love the new engine, but to have something so stupid happen, it's very disappointing. I will say that so far the engine, frame, and suspension are living up to the hype. Easily the best cruiser I've ever ridden in that regard. I suppose in the end, if all that happens is condensation on the speedo, I can fix that with some silicone pellets to dry it out and seal it myself good and tight. I shouldn't have to though. The reputation says I shouldn't. It also has me worried that if something so stupid can happen what am I in for in the future....

On better news, my dealer did say they would try to fix it when I bring it in for my first service. Tech guy flat out said, without hesitation, that they aren't sealed well, and they would try their best to make it so. So that's good news at least. So far the dealer has been exceptional in both sales, parts, and tech.

duckf5 (01-22-2022)
Old 06-12-2018, 03:59 PM
MrNovember80
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Glad your dealer will work with you, I will be stopping by mine to let them know and get it taken care of on my 1st service too.
Definitely having a great relationship with dealer helps. Like yours, my dealer has been great in every area, they also bent over backwards when I purchased my first H-D ( V-Rod) that it turned out to have issues.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:15 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

It's normal for a Harley; the speedo is not really sealed. Everyone I've owned did the same thing. Here's a recent thread on the subject..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...he-speedo.html

Old 06-13-2018, 12:22 PM
mtippett
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My speedo on my 18 Fat Bob had condensation after five months and they replaced it under warranty. This is my 3rd HD and the first one to have this issue

Old 06-13-2018, 03:34 PM
Torky_SOB
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,744 Likes on 3,015 Posts

I bought a mini tach from moco (handle bar mount style.) Within a day after mounting it I had a ring of fog around the lower 1/2 of the gauge. The add in '02 claimed "hermetically sealed for your convenience against the elements". really?? It lasted 10 yrs. Not sure how long those last but the condensation would clear up when I left it parked in the sun for a few hours. It would return after sitting in the shade or the garage say 5-6 hrs. Got an E-bay cheapie for 60 bucks it came with a knock off Dakota Digital gauge cup.Man this thing weighs at least 3 lbs, made of polished stainless ( yu swear its chrome but its not) needle steady as a rock and if it dies , theres a never ending supply on Ebay ( china no doubt) to replace it for a whole lot less than moco's and it doesnt fog up !! Running strong now for 5 yrs and it has a much smaller profile which looks 10x better

Old 06-14-2018, 04:54 PM
Northernproducer
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 388 Likes on 372 Posts

I just had it happen today with temps in 90's. I've had many H-D's over the last 50+ years and expect this kind of thing at times, but today's moisture was so bad it completely fogged the instrument while riding in the direct sunlight. It was so bad I couldn't read any of the digital section and the speedo was just plain fuzzy. After about an hour of this condition and a bit of cooler temps, the misty gauge condensed and "rained" inside the lens with water droplets falling to the bottom of the lens. Called my dealer and was told it would be warranted, but H-D wants photos first (I got 3 pic's for good measure).

Quick Reply: 2018 Speedometer Condensation?