Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Scan Tool after bar install/ Brake line change

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 11:50 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,630 Likes on 1,533 Posts

Originally Posted by donhoe
As long as you don't turn the ignition on (cycle abs) it should be ok.
If cycling the ABS module was indeed that simple, there wouldn't be dozens of threads devoted to the subject.

The following users liked this post:
MNtadpole (05-27-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 11:54 AM
donhoe
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What I was saying is don't cycle the abs by turning on the ignition. That would put air into the abs unit.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:47 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,630 Likes on 1,533 Posts

What I was saying is don't cycle the abs by turning on the ignition. That would put air into the abs unit.
What I was trying to convey is, the ABS module is not cycled by simply turning on the ignition. Only an actual ABS event, or manipulation by a scan tool/utility cycles the ABS module. Turning on the ignition initiates a brief check of the electrical integrity of the system via the ECM/BCM. Nothing is cycled during this check.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:46 PM
donhoe
Advanced
Old 05-26-2019, 03:00 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 955 Likes on 657 Posts

I have done this dozens of times with ABS systems, no problem at all just like donhoe said do not turn on the ignition and everything will be fine. You do not want
to seek any problems and just stay off the ignition switch. I just use a regular bleeder powered by a compressor.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:46 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
If cycling the ABS module was indeed that simple, there wouldn't be dozens of threads devoted to the subject.
Pretty sure I was under the same understanding. Without the abs event triggering while performing a flush, there is still old brake fluid in the module. This is a critical issue for us ABS system users, since the systems have been known to fail if the systems aren't flushed regularly. I could be 100 percent wrong, but this is what I came to believe after researching the flushing methods a few years ago.

Last edited by MNtadpole; 05-27-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:30 PM
donhoe
Advanced

All I did was flush the brake fluid then for about a month I would activate the abs (lock the brakes while driving) whenever I could find a safe place to do it then changed the fluid one more time.
Hopefully that would be enough?

Old 05-28-2019, 05:20 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 1,218 Posts

Originally Posted by MNtadpole
Pretty sure I was under the same understanding. Without the abs event triggering while performing a flush, there is still old brake fluid in the module. This is a critical issue for us ABS system users, since the systems have been known to fail if the systems aren't flushed regularly. I could be 100 percent wrong, but this is what I came to believe after researching the flushing methods a few years ago.
This is what I read too.
I don't have ABS now but had it on my 2014 Street Glide, not good to take chances with brakes.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:02 AM
MNtadpole
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

All I did was flush the brake fluid then for about a month I would activate the abs (lock the brakes while driving) whenever I could find a safe place to do it then changed the fluid one more time.
Hopefully that would be enough?
I have also heard of that method as well...lol obviously most people wouldn't recommend telling someone to lock up their brakes. HA HA it kinda requires a personal choice/ commitment.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:28 PM
donhoe
Advanced

Maybe lockup was a little strong? Should have said chirped the brakes at lower speeds just enough to feel the abs pulse, which is why I waited about a month to do the second flush. The dealer would probably be the safest way if your not comfortable with that? Hopefully no one drops their bike because of my uhmmm helpful suggestions?

The following users liked this post:
MNtadpole (05-29-2019)

Quick Reply: ABS Scan Tool after bar install/ Brake line change