Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout exhaust/tuning question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 05:54 PM
Toeslider
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Breakout exhaust/tuning question?

So I've recently acquired a 2014 Breakout. It came to me with a Screaming Eagle heavy breather intake setup, and RC Components slip-ons on the factory exhaust. I have a set of Magnaflow Legacy pipes on the way for it, mainly just for looks. My question is this: In the receipts I got with the bike I see that some tuning has been done by an HD dealer, and there is also a receipt for a tuning box which I can't recall the manufacturer of right now, but unless it is really well hidden it is no longer with the bike any more. At any rate, the bike seems to have been tuned fine for what is on it now, and I'm wondering what changes if any I might expect to make by switching to the new exhaust? I believe the primary pipe diameters are the same with both, and it would seem that with slip-ons it should flow exhaust relatively the same with the new pipes. As I understand it, this exhaust should retain any sensors the bike is using now, so nothing should change in that respect. I'm a newcomer to EFI tuning, will I be hurting anything by bolting on the new exhaust and just seeing how it does?

If I should need a new tune, what are my best options, considering this will probably be the last performance mod I do to it? It seems like there are cheap programmers out there that can be had for about the same price as having the dealership do it. I don't think I will need much flexibility or versatility, probably just a one-time deal.

Thanks for any input!