Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'01 Heritage Classic dies going down the road

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 03:26 PM
Borders Britney
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '01 Heritage Classic dies going down the road

This has happened twice now - once 5 miles from the house in the a.m. (cool weather), and once after riding most the day and about an hour on the road headed back (late afternoon). Engine light comes on and the engine just dies. Coasted off the road both times. When it originally happened I freaked out, and called a friend to come get her and trailered her home... (yes, I freaked!). Once we ran through every possible thing I could think of, I just started her (right up!) and road her around the country block... no issues. Sooo..I selectively started riding her again.... Got annoyed with being afraid and loaded her up for a day trip. Ran fine for the 3 hrs down. Went to start heading home, rode for roughly an hour, and then the engine light came on and she cut out again. I didn't pay attention to what all went out...I just coasted out of traffic to the side, shut everything down (swore profusely), and brought her back up and restarted her. We had a little discussion about she needed to behave and get me home...rode through Indy and headed home 2+hours with no other issues.

Had a friend tell me fuel lines have degraded in the tank and need replaced... his newer Heritage did it to him the month before.. she's injected, no tuner (but needs one / runs a little lean with the duals - straight pipes w/fish tails on her, no O2 sensors in them that I can tell - had that discussion with a friend while inspecting the cam shoe tensioners this past winter {had already been replaced] and intend to resolve that, but I've ridden her for 3+years prior to this and not had this issue come up so I don't think that's related; just needs done for her long-term health) I think the differences in the occurrences eliminates over-heating some sensor. But I'd like to have some more things I can check out and eliminate before having the frustrating talk at my dealer's repair desk where they try to change/sell me five more things and still not resolve the problem.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:22 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

I would start by checking for DTC codes, see here how to pull them https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...des-dtc-s.html

Old 09-12-2019, 07:32 AM
Borders Britney
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for this!! I have that one friend that thinks he knows everything.... he tried checking the codes - by using the method you describe for the '04 and newer, and subsequently announced "it has no codes" once he'd tried. Yay - I get to show him he doesn't know every d*mn thing for once! :-) ...oh yeah, and I'll try it and see what the codes tell me is going on. Again, thank you!!!