Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Ultra Classic ECM over heating?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 08:47 PM
MoyerDesignArt
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 02 Ultra Classic ECM over heating?

Hello all,

i have an 02 ultra classic. I was riding from San Luis Obispo to Born Free 7 a week ago. Was riding for 3.5 hours hit LA traffic and my bike just quick on me. Sat for a few seconds and she fired right back up, no check engine light and temps in normal range. Road for a min and she quit on me again. Got a tow to my destination. After bike was cold she started right up, reved up, no issues. The next day road all around went to born free road to cooks and then at the end of the day on the way back the bike shut down again. I felt the ECM it was way hot.

Took off front fairing and only ran necessary electronics and took about 4 breaks on the way back to San Luis Obispo, made it back no issues.

This worries me my bike is my car and i ride her all over this state. I need her reliable.

I think it is a sign the ecm is going out. What do you think?
Also if that is the case what is the best self fix for this? Order a used part off eBay? I have a cobra tuner thing i can store the mapping on and then put on the new ecm if needed. Need to know what compatible years i can grab that part from..

Thanks for any help i need to get back on the road and reliable,

Old 07-07-2015, 09:03 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Did the engine just die, or did your gauges, and everything quit?
I say this , because the main circuit breaker will overheat ,and cause the bike to die, and all electrics will too. The circuit breakers fatigue over time, and need replaced, they are right in front of the battery.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:52 AM
MoyerDesignArt
Stage IV

Yes the whole bike dies electronics and the motor. the electronics do come back on after 20 seconds or so.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:02 AM
MoyerDesignArt
Stage IV

i should also note that while riding i was using my aux lights and playing the stereo, when i road home with no issues i used no extra electronics. so i am sure it is some sort of electronics over heating.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:38 AM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

I went threw this a while back. I just went ahead and installed a 40 amp maxi fuse in place of the breaker. It hasn't quit since. Just google Harley 40 amp breaker recall and Harley maxi fuse upgrade.

Last edited by lt1-xjs; 07-08-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:47 AM
MoyerDesignArt
Stage IV

awesome thank you!!!

Old 07-08-2015, 12:18 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 513 Likes on 445 Posts

Certain 1999-2003 Model Year FL Touring and Police model Motorcycles may have a defect. The 40 Amp. Main circuit breaker may open due to reasons other than for which it was designed, thereby causing an unexpected interruption of all electrical power to the motorcycle.

Model

2002 Electra Glide Ultra

Safety Risk

If the 40amp main circuit breaker opens causing an unexpected interruption of all electrical power to the motorcycle, it could cause a "quit while riding" situation, possibly resulting in a crash, which could cause death or injury to the rider.

REMEDY

The remedy of this issue is to replace the circuit breaker on the affected models.

We strongly urge you to take your motorcycle to your dealer to have the appropriate service performed as soon as possible. Should you choose to ride your motorcycle prior to this service, we urge you to be aware of this condition. Some product campaigns may have expired and you may have to pay for the service. Please see your local Harley-Davidson dealer for further details.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:36 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MoyerDesignArt
Yes the whole bike dies electronics and the motor. the electronics do come back on after 20 seconds or so.
Yep I would almost bet it is the circuit breaker, you don't have to switch to a maxi fuse, the circuit breakers are fine. Go to the dealer, or pull of your old one, and go to an auto parts store.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:11 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

You can get one a Azone for like $4.00. Harley replaced it with a 50 amp. People still had issues after the change. The problem on some was the wiring at the eyelets corroding causing extra heat at the terminal tripping the breaker.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:28 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,399 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
You can get one a Azone for like $4.00. Harley replaced it with a 50 amp. People still had issues after the change. The problem on some was the wiring at the eyelets corroding causing extra heat at the terminal tripping the breaker.
It strikes me that this is a particularly bad idea.

Quick Reply: 02 Ultra Classic ECM over heating?