Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail rear shock adjustment a PITA

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 09:29 PM
RHD51
Road Captain
Received 444 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Softail rear shock adjustment a PITA

Wanting to adjust my shocks today, since the wife won't be going with me to KRiver . I removed some of the preload because I set it to near full preload at about 1//2 to 3/4 turn from all the way to the stop nut, when she is riding with me. Together we are 400+ lbs. plus gear.

The problem is when following procedure of backing off the lock nut and the shock tubes all the way to to the nut to set at (0) position, to ensure they are adjusted the same. It is impossible to get the spanner wrench in between the the end of the shock and the frame brace for the last full revolution to get to (0). With great difficulty I was able to get the spanner into one hole in the can and the other leg of spanner catching the outside of the can to turn it a quarter turn at a time back to zero, then marking 6 O clock. Then with same difficult procedure to get get past that first revolution, set them at 2 turns out for a mid range setting.

Am I doing it wrong? Is there something I'm missing? Are all Softails this hard to adjust as my 07 Heritage?

I know I don't have to set it back to (0) every time but I like to adjust it a little stiffer when the wife rides along and that is a real PITA!
That is the main reason I am considering going to the Shotgun shock for fingertip control of adjustment. I am open to suggestions but if I'm going to upgrade to adjustable shocks the Shotgun looks to me like the best system available?

Old 09-17-2019, 06:13 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

I don't recall having too much trouble with the shock adjustment so I'm not sure what you're experiencing.

Something as vital as the shock adjustment shouldn't be so difficult.
I think most adjust it for 2-up and then leave it alone.

I ride 2-up maybe 30% of the time so it doesn't make sense that the I have the shock adjusted for 2-up 100% of the time.

I did the research and considered all my options.
I decided against Shotgun Shock due to the inherent issues that come with any air system and the the cost is just crazy.

I went with Progressive 422 RAPs and have been very pleased with them.
I did a review of them so if you search the forum you can likely find my review.

With the RAP system it takes me less than 10 seconds to adjust between 1 and 2-up.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:13 PM
RHD51
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I don't recall having too much trouble with the shock adjustment so I'm not sure what you're experiencing.

Something as vital as the shock adjustment shouldn't be so difficult.
I think most adjust it for 2-up and then leave it alone.

I ride 2-up maybe 30% of the time so it doesn't make sense that the I have the shock adjusted for 2-up 100% of the time.

I did the research and considered all my options.
I decided against Shotgun Shock due to the inherent issues that come with any air system and the the cost is just crazy.

I went with Progressive 422 RAPs and have been very pleased with them.
I did a review of them so if you search the forum you can likely find my review.

With the RAP system it takes me less than 10 seconds to adjust between 1 and 2-up.
Can you tell me what inherent issues you are referring to? Other than the cost.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:24 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,421 Likes on 4,023 Posts

Originally Posted by RHD51

Well, not specific to Shotgun shocks, but any air ride system with a compressor has the potential for leaks (fittings & lines), compressor issues (location, installation, possibility of failure), and/or sudden loss of air while on a ride (from any part of the system being compromised from wear, age or road hazard).... obviously not regular occurrences, just the nature of the beast....

I know that the air shocks on my '12 Limited, after about a year, had a slow leak somewhere and I would need to pump them up weekly and check them daily on a multi-day ride.....

Last edited by hattitude; 09-17-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
Well, not specific to Shotgun shocks, but any air ride system with a compressor has the potential for leaks (fittings & lines), compressor issues (location, installation, possibility of failure), and/or sudden loss of air while on a ride (from any part of the system being compromised from wear, age or road hazard).... obviously not regular occurrences, just the nature of the beast....

I know that the air shocks on my '12 Limited, after about a year, had a slow leak somewhere and I would need to pump them up weekly and check them daily on a multi-day ride.....

Old 09-17-2019, 03:11 PM
RHD51
Road Captain

Thanks for the input. That may actually be a + for the Shotgun as they are lifetime warranty and the seller stands behind his product.
In the unlikely event of a failure it would not likely be a catastrophic event although another PITA to deal with repairing.
At this point I still feel the convenience of fingertip control of height and rebound are worth the minor risk of a failure.
I understand the 422 RAPS are very popular and haven't ruled them out.

Still curious about the problem with adjusting stock shocks. Has anyone else backed them up to (0) only to find that the frame cross brace interferes with getting the spanner on the shocks for that final revolution?

Old 09-17-2019, 05:49 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

Thanks for the input. That may actually be a + for the Shotgun as they are lifetime warranty and the seller stands behind his product.
In the unlikely event of a failure it would not likely be a catastrophic event although another PITA to deal with repairing.
At this point I still feel the convenience of fingertip control of height and rebound are worth the minor risk of a failure.
I understand the 422 RAPS are very popular and haven't ruled them out.

Still curious about the problem with adjusting stock shocks. Has anyone else backed them up to (0) only to find that the frame cross brace interferes with getting the spanner on the shocks for that final revolution?

Read Bluravens review of the 422 RAP - I went back & forth for a long time & finally just bought the 422 RAP, best move I made, I left my findings at the end of his review & the reason I didn't go with the air ride systems - yeah the seller stands behind them but ………...when they fail he wont be there to help you push it on the trailer.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:49 PM
RHD51
Road Captain

I read Bluravens review- very informative, thank you, along with several others and still suffer from indecision, my problem,I know..
I am trying to figure out how to improve the ride for my wife so she will ride for longer than 30 min.
I'm beginning to think that no matter what I do she won't be able to ride long due to sciatica pain. after twenty min. she starts squirming.
I bought adjustable pegs, for her long legs and the touring pillion with no apparent improvement in comfort.
I also suffer from intermittent sciatica and back issues but he stock shocks, when adjusted for one up, seem adequate for me to ride a couple of hours before needing to get off for a few minutes..
When adjusted for two up is when it feels stiffer and more jarring but need to adjust up to prevent bottoming out when she is on.
She wishes I would have bought a touring bike with a plush back seat but that isn't what I wanted and not sure it would make that much difference in her ability to ride long.
I don't really want to trade up to a touring bike as I do not do any long distance riding and like the Heritage just fine. If can't make her more comfortable I will just have to limit our two up riding to short rides to a pub or dinner. If I want to take her out once a week I feel the need to adjust the shocks each time. therein lies the PITA.
I'd appreciate any advice on how to improve the passenger comfort on my Heritage.