Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Hesitation from Low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 10:19 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 420 Likes on 298 Posts

One thing hattitude didn't mention is your accelerator pump. Check for a nice strong spurt when you twist the throttle-and make sure it's aimed properly. [That is shown on the site he linked to] The only other thing I can remember about the cv,or really any carb,is that the float height adjustment is crucial.
Oh,and,check for intake leaks [lightly spray some starter fluid on the intake,while the bike is idling,and notice if the idle speed increases]

Old 09-19-2019, 10:26 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,974 Likes on 3,047 Posts

Could be many things. 30 year old bike could be due for a new diaphragm, they develop pin holes.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:49 AM
manleydawg08
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Could be many things. 30 year old bike could be due for a new diaphragm, they develop pin holes.
Thanks folks, I think I will just drop the float bowl and do some cleaning . Only have about another month if lucky of riding so will focus on tires and then this carb cleaning . I think I can do it .

Old 09-19-2019, 03:47 PM
manleydawg08
Intermediate

Originally Posted by manleydawg08
Thanks folks, I think I will just drop the float bowl and do some cleaning . Only have about another month if lucky of riding so will focus on tires and then this carb cleaning . I think I can do it .

So I put a half bottle of sea foam in tank and that’s after I cleaned the C.A.R.B. with carb cleaner. It’s so mild now , that I think I’ll just let it be till winter . No issues accelerating , only when slowing down and I like to snap throttle with clutch in. I’ll see what the seafoam does I’ll try to run it everyday to get this gas out of it. I did try to spray some starter fluid around the manifolds and I did notice a very slight tick up in rpm’s but very mild and it leveled off very quickly. I used a a lot of starter fluid on all 3 sides lol. Anyway, anyone think it’s because I took the crankcase vent line out of the carb and put it on a filter somewhere else on bike? That extra air going in , I would think it would be even leaner . I ha e ridden about 200 miles with it like this without any issue . Just bouncing ideas. If not this winter I’ll take carb off , and take out jets and clean more throughly . Or put SS on it lol.

edit: one more question , sorry . I’m thinking of ditching the KN air filter and going with a uni , something with a little less air flow. Richen it up some, or maybe some long shots?

Last edited by manleydawg08; 09-19-2019 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 09-19-2019, 08:28 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I’m betting you need some new manifold seals.
make sure the exhaust header bolts are snug too.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:21 PM
manleydawg08
Intermediate

Originally Posted by the blob
I’m betting you need some new manifold seals.
make sure the exhaust header bolts are snug too.
Update.. messing with it this afternoon, I noticed after rolling throttle making sure it’s squirting in the middle I noticed gas running out the back. Further investigation, I have gas coming out of the rubber boot where the accelerator pump rod is. Diaphragm issue? Please advise .

Old 09-21-2019, 11:54 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 420 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by manleydawg08
Update.. messing with it this afternoon, I noticed after rolling throttle making sure it’s squirting in the middle I noticed gas running out the back. Further investigation, I have gas coming out of the rubber boot where the accelerator pump rod is. Diaphragm issue? Please advise .
Nope-float adjustment issue. That could be the root of your hesitation problem too. [Too much gas in cylinder at low speed,plugs have a hard time burning off the excess fuel for a second or two]

Old 09-21-2019, 12:32 PM
manleydawg08
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
Nope-float adjustment issue. That could be the root of your hesitation problem too. [Too much gas in cylinder at low speed,plugs have a hard time burning off the excess fuel for a second or two]
Maybe 2 problems . We will see. Plugs are bright white so would think if too much gas would cause a rich situation. I by no means am an expert mechanic , so I’m just going off research. I wouldn’t think gas would come out the vacuum hole if diaphragm was doing it’s job. However this may only fix one of my issues . Hoping that’s all it is and not float . But thanks for the info . I’ll be out of town for a week so when I get back , I’ll change and let you all know. Thanks and happy riding

Old 09-21-2019, 01:12 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Cool rich to lean ...

when you pulled the crank breather off ...you have leaned the mixer out some ...then with the cooler air ...that will make it even leaner ...you may need to adjust the mixer screw up about a 1/4 turn ...and raise the pilot jet one number ...it's too lean !!
good luck !!

Old 09-21-2019, 01:19 PM
manleydawg08
Intermediate

Originally Posted by springers4ever
when you pulled the crank breather off ...you have leaned the mixer out some ...then with the cooler air ...that will make it even leaner ...you may need to adjust the mixer screw up about a 1/4 turn ...and raise the pilot jet one number ...it's too lean !!
good luck !!
Can you educate me on this? I took the crank breather hose from the oil pump out of the air cleaner port. Why when I take away more air going into carb would that make it leaner? I would think , again I’m a rookie at this, taking away air would richen it out? I was tired of it spitting oil on my bags on trips . Now it goes to a filter .

Quick Reply: Throttle Hesitation from Low RPM