Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Hesitation from Low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 09:51 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Talking Must have misunderstood ...

Originally Posted by manleydawg08
Can you educate me on this? I took the crank breather hose from the oil pump out of the air cleaner port. Why when I take away more air going into carb would that make it leaner? I would think , again I’m a rookie at this, taking away air would richen it out? I was tired of it spitting oil on my bags on trips . Now it goes to a filter .
Sorry but i Must have misunderstood ...i thought you meant you took the breather hose loose from the the carb ...(oil mist to intake will richen mixer)
but i see you are saying now you suspect the accel pump leaking ...please disregard...

Old 09-21-2019, 10:01 PM
manleydawg08
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by springers4ever
Sorry but i Must have misunderstood ...i thought you meant you took the breather hose loose from the the carb ...(oil mist to intake will richen mixer)
but i see you are saying now you suspect the accel pump leaking ...please disregard...
Maybe we’re taking about same hose. House coming out of oil pump , I believe is crank case vent was hooked to side of air cleaner . It would just most oil in the bottom of air cleaner and mist all over bike . Your saying that being hooked up will allow more rich? I have it hooked up to to a filter mounted to transmission case to catch the oil most . Seen it on other bikes hoping to prevent oil misting .

But yes diaphragm was bad worn out and had a slit in it . Hoping don’t have to hook crank vent line back up to air cleaner . Not getting oil misting on bike anymore lol

Old 09-22-2019, 03:07 PM
manleydawg08
Intermediate
Default Update....

Maybe we’re taking about same hose. House coming out of oil pump , I believe is crank case vent was hooked to side of air cleaner . It would just most oil in the bottom of air cleaner and mist all over bike . Your saying that being hooked up will allow more rich? I have it hooked up to to a filter mounted to transmission case to catch the oil most . Seen it on other bikes hoping to prevent oil misting .

But yes diaphragm was bad worn out and had a slit in it . Hoping don’t have to hook crank vent line back up to air cleaner . Not getting oil misting on bike anymore lol

Good news / bad news. Lol
no more gas leaks. But hesitation still there. I went ahead and hooked back up the oil pump vent line back up to air cleaner to make sure that wasn’t is, since only change I’ve made.

Hesitation is only if i snap throttle at idle or down shifting . Runs great accelerating and riding and I snap throttle. Down shifting and idle.

One member said maybe float float out of adjustment ? It’s so minor it’s frustrating lol. Could be worse I suppose but just want it right . When I snap throttle at idle , I hear the carb suck and then go.

Probably wont mess with it till winter as I want to ride , but looking for advice . Seafoam been through carb twice , it’s something silly lol

one last thing, I did spray starter fluid on manifolds and my idle no longer changes .. so diaphragm May have fixed that too

Last edited by manleydawg08; 09-22-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:23 PM
manleydawg08
Intermediate
Default Fixed !!! SMH

Good news / bad news. Lol
no more gas leaks. But hesitation still there. I went ahead and hooked back up the oil pump vent line back up to air cleaner to make sure that wasn’t is, since only change I’ve made.

Hesitation is only if i snap throttle at idle or down shifting . Runs great accelerating and riding and I snap throttle. Down shifting and idle.

One member said maybe float float out of adjustment ? It’s so minor it’s frustrating lol. Could be worse I suppose but just want it right . When I snap throttle at idle , I hear the carb suck and then go.

Probably wont mess with it till winter as I want to ride , but looking for advice . Seafoam been through carb twice , it’s something silly lol

one last thing, I did spray starter fluid on manifolds and my idle no longer changes .. so diaphragm May have fixed that too

I forgot to mention that I replaced the plugs . Took our new ones and the gap was .503 ish . My old ones were .40. Well I moved them down to about same and the hesitation went away , coughed a couple times but that was normal . SMH. Going to order new plugs from dealer since they gap was so large. Don’t think I’m supposed to move the gap that much .. anyway I think that was my problem .. thanks everyone.. I did fix the diaphragm!! Sorry to bother