Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 softail standard TC question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 11:25 PM
chkmte
Advanced
Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 03 softail standard TC question

Ive had it for about a year and a half now. when I first purchased it my brother told me to look out for the cam guide on the t/c motor...….I did some research and decided to pull the exhaust and timing cover. I was happy to see the orange screaming eagle timing cover upgrade. the bike runs great, very strong.tons of torque ...its a real bear to start...let me explain.....NOT bad battery old weak starter type starting , but high compression kick backs, and it tries to blow the oil dipstick out of the tank sometimes...…...a couple months ago I went to do a hot restart and the kickback was so hard it broke the teeth off of the jackshaft gear. I normally would have pulled it apart myself but I decided to bring it to a reputable vtwin mechanic shop (SouthFloridaChoppers) because they could have it back to me in one day and I couldn't get to it in over a month....anyway the owner, Mike, gave me the broken part and explained that with a big breathing bike like this one I need to crack the throttle to let it breathe when I do a restart. I didn't ask Him then but it made me think sometime in the past someone pumped some money into this bike and I was wondering if it had any other internals beefed up not just the cam/timing cover. the odometer reads 52 miles, im assuming it stopped working when an ultima 6spd tranny went in.
So my question is how do I know if and what internals have been done without tearing the bike down?
thanks

Old 10-24-2019, 02:22 AM
1Qcktrufflesnuffler
Road Captain
Received 380 Likes on 195 Posts

Only way is to ask previous owner or pay to have it dyno tested.
Sounds like it may need some compression releases, displacement may have been bumped to 95".

Old 10-24-2019, 06:43 AM
SafetyFifth
Cruiser
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Do a compression test and see what the readings are. That should tell you if the motor is stock or not. If it's been built, who knows what the compression is