Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Exhaust Baffles

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 12:07 AM
Outx40
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default V&H Exhaust Baffles

So with the invaluable information provided by Hattitude on my 'Fuel Injection Mystery", there's nothing left to do but install my new Vance & Hines Big Shots. Should arrive here at the end of October. With ordering the Big Shots, I also ordered a set of quite baffles since the research tells me the pipes are real loud. My thought is, I'll try the pipes as they are and add the quiets only if needed.
My question is, since the quiets are fiberglass wrapped and with a plastic film over that, the film is supposedly meant to melt with exhaust heat to fully seal to the pipe, how difficult is it to remove them once they've burned to the pipe, since I may not like the result.
I'd appreciate feedback from anyone with experience on the topic.
Thanks,

Last edited by Outx40; 10-28-2021 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Missed Information
Old 10-28-2021, 07:31 AM
1LargeDog
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 120 Posts

It can be a real pain in the ***. I just repacked my baffles on a set of Rush slip ons and the removal wasn’t as easy as just removing the set screw and twisting out🙄. The tape and outer packing was stuck to the walls of the tube. Needed a length of pipe and a small sledge to drive them out then cleaned the inner housing with sandpaper. Applied anti seize on the ends of the baffle before reinstalling.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:06 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,767 Likes on 776 Posts

I've used the quiet baffles in Reaper's V&H Straight Shots, and while they did reduce the volume quite a bit, they also robbed power big time. Before you try the quiet baffles, I would suggest trying a set of DK Customs Thunder Torque Inserts. They lower the volume a bit, greatly improve the exhaust note/tone, and remove the off-idle torque dip that comes with running drag style pipes.

I'm running TTI-158s in the Straight Shots.

Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (12-27-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 11:04 PM
Outx40
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Good feedback folks. Much appreciated.
There is a YouTube video showing the installation of the quiet baffles and I assume the guy doing the video either read about or just assumed you'd leave the plastic film on it. Not sure this makes unless the idea is to ensure a tight baffle fit without banging around inside.
In any case I won't be putting these in unless the noise is really unbearable. If I do, I'll remove the plastic first.
Thanks to Clammy and 1LargeDog for the feedback.

Clammy (10-29-2021)
Old 12-25-2021, 01:28 AM
Brad-L
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clammy
I've used the quiet baffles in Reaper's V&H Straight Shots, and while they did reduce the volume quite a bit, they also robbed power big time. Before you try the quiet baffles, I would suggest trying a set of DK Customs Thunder Torque Inserts. They lower the volume a bit, greatly improve the exhaust note/tone, and remove the off-idle torque dip that comes with running drag style pipes.

I'm running TTI-158s in the Straight Shots.

Cheers!
Hi Clammy,
Did you install the Thunder Torque Inserts with or without the V&H stock baffles?
Also, was power robbed with the quite baffles at the low, mid or high power range?

Cheers,
Brad

Old 12-27-2021, 10:20 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,960 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad-L
Hi Clammy,
Did you install the Thunder Torque Inserts with or without the V&H stock baffles?
Also, was power robbed with the quite baffles at the low, mid or high power range?

Cheers,
Brad
You can run the TTI's with or without baffles.

V&H quiet baffles rob a bit of the high end power, but still have a dip, or flat spot, in the low end power.

Here is a LINK to a report that you may find useful. Also, feel free to call or email with any questions.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-27-2021, 10:39 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I run TTIs in my Big Shots Long. Love the sound. Much better than either of the V&H baffles.

The following 2 users liked this post by QC:
Clammy (12-29-2021), DK Custom (12-28-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 07:23 AM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Received 1,027 Likes on 507 Posts

I run TTIs with no baffles in my Tru-Duals. I love the sound when I ride but like most motorcycle enthusiasts I have no idea what my bike sounds like. The mystery will go unsolved.

The following 2 users liked this post by Madison Bill:
Clammy (12-29-2021), DK Custom (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 10:28 AM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 292 Posts
Default baffles

Originally Posted by Outx40
Good feedback folks. Much appreciated.
There is a YouTube video showing the installation of the quiet baffles and I assume the guy doing the video either read about or just assumed you'd leave the plastic film on it. Not sure this makes unless the idea is to ensure a tight baffle fit without banging around inside.
In any case I won't be putting these in unless the noise is really unbearable. If I do, I'll remove the plastic first.
Thanks to Clammy and 1LargeDog for the feedback.
The purpose of the plastic wrapped around the fiberglass is so you can slide the baffle in easily. the plastic then melts and the fiberglass expands. The only problem is when you try to get the baffle out it is stuck in there very]y tight and quite difficult to get out

Old 12-29-2021, 11:21 AM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Received 1,027 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by gerald martin
The purpose of the plastic wrapped around the fiberglass is so you can slide the baffle in easily. the plastic then melts and the fiberglass expands. The only problem is when you try to get the baffle out it is stuck in there very]y tight and quite difficult to get out
I have good luck with a 4-foot piece of paracord with 6 or so 3/4' nuts. Thread the nuts on the paracord and tie the ends so you have a circle. Now stuff the nuts past the upper end of the baffle and pull.

DK Custom (12-29-2021)

Quick Reply: V&H Exhaust Baffles