Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal problems got me stumped.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 05:54 AM
EZHD
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal problems got me stumped.

1995 FLSTC had fully functioning LED signals with a 'street magic' load equalizer when I bought it.

One day the left turn signal started quick flashing, the right was normal. Thought I had a bulb issue but switch to right side the bulb worked fine. I replaced with the Kuryakyn luminez anyways, but it didn't correct, still has rapid quick flash on left side.

So I started tearing the bike apart looking for chafed wires or loose connections but I have uncovered the signal wires from the handlebar switch housing in front to the light bar on rear fender and found nothing. The ground connections are good.

So I thought the load equalizer went bad and replaced with Badlands universal load equalizer, same thing.

The bizarre thing is that the both blinkers flash properly when the emergency flashers are activated. Right works fine by itself, but left by itself quick flashes.

My next thought is the turn signal module but because the emergency flashers flash the left properly I don't think it is the issue.

Anybody have ideas?

Old 06-29-2022, 05:59 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Nice 1st post...>.<

There's obviously something amiss w/ the Left side & LEDs don't take much to hyperflash, due to low voltage. My guess is it's in the blinker housing itself, maybe. Did you check the wires f/ voltage? Any other electrical, or bar work to consider w/ this issue?

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 08:19 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,468 Likes on 4,045 Posts

It sure sounds like an issue with the bulb socket.... That would be a great place to start with the multi-meter...

I'd also be tempted to check out the left turn signal switch...

Since the problem didn't migrate when you switched bulbs, and you have a new load equalizer, it sure seems to suggest the left side turn signal hardware has an issue... Bulb socket, wiring, connectors, etc...

Did you inspect the connector of the equalizer module, when you replaced it, for corrosion on the pins or sockets in that connector....??

Old 06-29-2022, 09:11 AM
EZHD
Stage III

I have not put a meter to it yet to get a voltage value, but it has a very strong bright running light when the flashers are not activated. Do running lights on the turn signals using dual filament 1157 style bulbs indicate an extra module or were the turns also running lights from factory?

I did replace the socket on the right side earlier this year because the little plastic tab on the spring loaded piece that clocks the wire pickups in the socket to the socket housing was damaged so the wire pickups rotated in the housing and the bulb contact was intermittent.

It does seem to indicate an issue with specifically the left housing, but why do the emergency flashers work properly? isnt that using the same relay as the blinker it just sends to both left and right relays at the same time? This is the part that is messing me up most.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:58 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by EZHD
I have not put a meter to it yet to get a voltage value, but it has a very strong bright running light when the flashers are not activated. Do running lights on the turn signals using dual filament 1157 style bulbs indicate an extra module or were the turns also running lights from factory?

I did replace the socket on the right side earlier this year because the little plastic tab on the spring loaded piece that clocks the wire pickups in the socket to the socket housing was damaged so the wire pickups rotated in the housing and the bulb contact was intermittent.

It does seem to indicate an issue with specifically the left housing, but why do the emergency flashers work properly? isnt that using the same relay as the blinker it just sends to both left and right relays at the same time? This is the part that is messing me up most.

HD uses a dual filament bulb on the front turn signals and a single element bulb on the rear turn signals...

The rear turn signals were not designed OEM to be running lights and turn signals, just turn signals... That's why you have to buy a module to get them to work like running lights, turn signals, and stop lights.. The R/T/B module manipulates the voltage to make a single filament bulb function like a dual filament bulb...

It would make sense that the flashing front turn signals use the same circuit and bulb element to flash when used as a turn signal or a 4-way flasher, but I'm not 100% sure.... I can be a little lost sometimes with electronics....

If that is the case, then perhaps you have an issue with the TSSM/TSM... I have no clue how to check that out...

But checking the socket is pretty easy, and straight forward... both visually and with a meter... So I say do the easy checks first...

Old 06-29-2022, 02:42 PM
EZHD
Stage III

At some point the rear sockets were changed to 1157 dual filaments, possibly at the time the previous owner added the LEDs(?). It does have running and turn, but the turns do not brighten or change at all with brakes.

Even if I wire from the splice location for the load eq near the battery with jumper wires directly to each of the leads on the bulb and a third jumper to the bulb socket to chassis ground, the lefts dont work.

The street magic load eq had 3 wires in addition to the power and ground, purple brown and black, the badlands load eq only has purple and brown. Neither makes the left signals blink properly but both let the right blink and flashers on both sides properly.

I noticed that the right side that blinks properly the kuryakyn fronts will run the outer circle of LEDs for running lights on constant, and blink the center section, but when the flashers are engaged, the entire lightboard is on/off, with the same strobe frequency. I dont know if this tells anything about the turn signal module being bad or good?

Old 06-30-2022, 06:49 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by EZHD

At some point the rear sockets were changed to 1157 dual filaments, possibly at the time the previous owner added the LEDs(?). It does have running and turn, but the turns do not brighten or change at all with brakes.
You're talking about a '95 softail, correct....??? That just changed the whole game here....

If it has dual filament rear turn signal sockets, then they are a custom, added part....

Not knowing how it was done (or why)... As a custom add-on, you're gonna be on your own tracking down the wires they used to power it.... and where those wires came from... Sorry..

Best get a schematic for that bike and check/track wire colors....

Good luck tracking it down...

Just FYI.....

In the HD parts catalogs I have for softails; '89, '97, '01, and '03, all of them came OEM with the HD #68572-64B bulb in the rear turn signal housings. The #68572-64B bulb is a single filament bulb, the 1156 equivalent...

So if you are using parts, like the load equalizer, for a '95 softail, that part was made/designed for a single filament rear turn signal... not a dual filament turn signal...

Last edited by hattitude; 06-30-2022 at 06:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EZHD (07-01-2022)