Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudness of big radius/short shots

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Z06_Pilot
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this will help you, as my wife and I have two different bikes, but check my sig. for our exhaust.

her's get's more attention than mine because it is higher pitched, and really sounds like a top fuel dragster at an NHRA event-not in a bad way, I love the sound, but it is pretty loud.

Mine is a very, very low, bass tone, and not quite as loud, but it's close. So, it's slightly more covert going down the street than her's.

hers will not set off car alarms when she's just idling slowly down the street, but mine does all the time... I assume it's the lower frequency of my exhaust.

The baffles in my exhaust can't be changed out. I have never heard the "quiet" V/H baffles for the Short Shots, but someone on the forum said it made the bike sound like a John Deer tractor....not sure what Thunderhead or other 3rd party baffles would sound like.

If your neighbors are close by, they will certainly hear either one of these. we don't drive either of ours to work, so not a concern for us. But, neither of these exhausts are the loudest out there and available for sure.

again, two different bikes, and different motors we have with varying degrees of mods, so it's not a direct comparison for you, but it might give you an idea of the differences betwen the two.

If you don't want too much attention from cagers with their windows down and pedestrians, don't buy EITHER of these!

But, if you want your HD to sound like an HD should(and used to from the factory), V/H is the only way to go IMO, so you can't go wrong with either one.

Last edited by Z06_Pilot; 08-20-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:13 AM
jackson08
Stage III

just put those on my 08 night train, wife said those are very loud ,I said thanks. love these pipes also look awsome!

Old 08-20-2008, 08:29 AM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have just installed the ShortShots on my 07 NT this past weekend. My buddy has an 05 Softail Standard with Big Radius and his are ear piercing high pitch where mine or more growly and low toned. Just what I wanted. In my opinion, the Big Radius is a lot louder than mine, maybe from pitch. He wears ear plugs most of the time.

The ShortShots are loud with the baffles, I was worried about having to install the Quieter Optional Baffles but not necessary. With idling is not that loud. I can still hear my engine which I cant on his.

Last edited by jknowlton; 08-20-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:44 AM
sybarite
Novice

The BRs 2-2 with the Thundercity QQ baffles still set off car alarms, but the baffles take a bit off the edge. Doesn't seem to reduce the loudness much tho.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:39 AM
rkramer48
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice folks!

This morning a deuce with what looked like Big Radius 2-2's went by me while I was at the gas station, and I did not think the low rpm sound was all too distracting, however, when he got on the throttle ... that was a whole different story. It sounded great!

I think if I am careful for the 3 blocks it would take me to get out of the hood, I should have no complaints.

Jknowlton... Did you get my post regarding your controll extensions?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:40 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I listened to both and I do think short shot is a bit louder at idle.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:04 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I have BR 2-2's on my 07 Custom and a friend has the SS on his 07 Fatty. Both are stage 1 engines so its a fair comparison and I have to say that the SS are louder at idle, but neither one is anything like quite when you 'get on it'.
The SS seem to have more of a higher frequency bark at higher throttle settings, where the BR's lower tone rattles your bones.
The odd part is that they both sound similar if your on the bike, but riding alongside or hearing them go past there is a decernable difference.
Fun part is I have a couple of friends with worked over 110ci Victory (8 *****?) and we all have BR 2-2's on. You want to hear loud, listen to the three of us blast down the back road's to the local cruise night later this afternoon. One word of warning, get close along side of or behind those two bikes and you better have a good set of ear plugs or you might need hearing aides afterwards.
Them suckers are really loud when they open them up.