Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield for cross bones

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:52 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howabout a small Tombstone or Windvest shield? Hardly noticable but still takes care of the big wind, bugs, and birds.

I have the Tombstone from Drag on my NT and it works great. The Windvest is nicer but pricier.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...--14-40-39.jpg

Old 05-19-2009, 05:26 AM
gearguywb
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a standard height quick release and like it. I put it on for freeway trips and leave it off the rest of the time...like many others I prefer the look without but....

Old 05-19-2009, 08:29 AM
flyburch
Road Master
Received 75 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheesecake
I think you should get what ever the heck you want....
I would get the biggest darn thing they made...

personally I don't think I would put one on my XB....
How about a helmet with a face shield???

i have a rocker and no windshield I always ride with a helmet and its a half helmet. Last month I went out and bought a full face helmet. (I didnt think i would like it at all) But it is great. So i agree get a helmet with face shield or full face helmet and that will do the trick. Im getting old and getting hit in the head with stuff was starting to get old.

Last edited by flyburch; 05-19-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:20 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by RAILROAD SAM
Anybody got any suggestions on which one to get. Caught a bird in my mouth going 50+ the other day. I would stick with hd brand.
Noticed they were sold short and tall and smoked and clear.

I'm listening
railroad sam

I have the HD tall windshield, and it suits me fine. I have a long torso and sit "tall in the saddle" so to speak. Certainly YMMV and you should get one that fits.

I've never understood the criticisms of "too tall too short" in motorcycle reviews about the fit of a windshield. This is obviously a very individual matter, as we are all built differently.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:13 PM
hgiles
Cruiser

Full face helmet is an inexpensive, and effective remedy. Plus it won't ruin the cool looks of your bike.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:03 PM
HaloFan
Advanced

+1 on 6165's comments . I think the classic/retro look can include a windshield on the Bones. Now if you are going retro custom w/ a chopped fender and taller apes, then the windshield doesnt quite fit. I chose the short one primarily because of asthetics - tinted and lower profile. It does the trick just fine. My head is above the top edge which is great for visibility. I used to pop it on and off depending on the length of trip, but I find lately I've left it on. It does a great job of deflecting the wind away from your body but I do still catch the occasional bug in the face.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Whoad00d
Tourer

i think that the tall hd detachable one is great i have done a better part of 800 mile trip with it and for the long trips wouldn't think twice about throwing it on.

Russ

Old 05-21-2009, 10:17 AM
ITZ4me515
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bonzer
I got the detatchable compact one from H-D and I don't lke it. I'm 6'1" and the wind catches me right in the forhead. It rattles my brain and makes for an uncomfortable ride after a while. Maybe your dealer will let you try out a couple of different styles.
I have to agree. I'm 6'4" and even with a Mustang seat that sits lower then the stock one, I got a lot of buffeting on my head with the compact detachable...I'm buying the taller one to see if it works for me, as it is 4" taller.

I personally don't like the look of a windshield on my bike, but for long trips it should be a big help in keeping me from getting to worn out.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Xuallus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had been running the std detachable one for awhile, and while I hate the way it looks - IMO it makes the springer front end almost invisible - it makes the ride a lot nicer with the stock seat... Even with the buffeting. If you don't mind the "hang on for dear life" type ride from the stock seat, you would probably be better off getting a full face visor or helmet. Myself, I just installed a C&C seat and fwd controls and haven't had the windshield on it since... Totally different ride, fell in love with the bike all over again.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:11 PM
HDChloe
Road Captain

I am changing my mind about a windshield. I was riding home from work today and ran into a swarm of wasps. Holy crap! One hit me in the dang face. It stung me (I have no idea how at 60mph) no less and now my face is swollen and hurts like crazy.

A windshield would have prevented that. Of course, so would driving a car.

Quick Reply: Windshield for cross bones