Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just when you thought you had the vast majority of tools you need you find out...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:41 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Just when you thought you had the vast majority of tools you need you find out...

That you don't. Well, personally speaking here. I was in the process of removing the footpeg to bolt on my solo saddlebag that has a custom bracket fashioned for it where the bolts to the rear footpeg hole, and the the top to the strut, I discovered I need a longstemmed t 45 to get the footpeg off. Oh well, off to Sears 2 days before Christmas. Hope they have what I need without buying another full set, but I am doubtful. Maybe I'll check OSH first, or ACE, or another local store. Anyway, this guy made a killer bracket to bolt on the solo saddlebag so that it doesn't come anywhere near my lerft side pipe. I am quite happy with this setup. Pics to come later...

Old 12-23-2008, 10:54 AM
dusty2221
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran into the exact same problem. Ended up having to get it at auto zone, and all they had was a set of them,.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Join the club buddy. I've got 20 years on you and a garage full of tools. I still invariably find something I need to complete the project of the day. My '82 chevy was the first car I ever owned that used torx (only for the grille and headlight adjustors AFAIK), and it's been downhill ever since. I think I even still have some old Whitworth tools around here.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:22 AM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely will have to buy a set...inevitably we will always be adding to our tool collection...always surprises me,although it shouldn't by now,how I'm always needind that one special tool to complete whatever task I've taken on...lol...can't wait to see the pics of your bags on the bike

Old 12-23-2008, 11:35 AM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i was able to remove mine by spinning the entire peg mount off (long bar in the peg channel). Replace with an allen head when reassembling.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hehe they are out to get us those tool makers...I stay out of stores with tools as much as possible with all these fun tools at incredible low prices these days

Old 12-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Tripped1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordrapheus
hehe they are out to get us those tool makers...I stay out of stores with tools as much as possible with all these fun tools at incredible low prices these days

Yeah I went to get a longer extension for some suspension work....walked into Sears and came out with $200 buck and what had to be 150lbs of tools.

grinning ear to ear

Old 12-23-2008, 12:14 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

Yes, I had the same issue when I bought the passenger footpeg brackets for my XBones. Went to Sears, but they didn't have the extended Torx. Ended up finding a very reasonable set at Autozone, like $12 for the entire set, so now I have the extended lenghts for the future projects.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:56 PM
BTL
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here, went to auto zone, sears couple of other places with no luck, then found a set at harbor freight.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

It may not have been the best plan on my part, but when I had to remove one of my passenger pegs I cheated and used a long allen wrench I had that fit in the head of the bolt. It worked for getting it on and off, and I figure those are fairly large and solid bolts so I hoped for the best as far as not stripping the head.

Ultimately I plan to get a long torx since I don't want to take the chance on doing that again. I also need to get the tool for opening up the spring clips on those things since getting those off and on with a screwdriver and needlenose pliers just sucks.

Quick Reply: Just when you thought you had the vast majority of tools you need you find out...